LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Mock Draft Version 2.0! Let me know what you think!

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by kronik:
Sorry, not feeling this mock. Mainly because of your picking of Earl Thomas. Scotty would never use a high draft pick on a small DB that has tackling issues. Neither would I. There will be much better options with that 17th pick overall.

who would you take at that point with the 17th pick?

I'd take any of these guys over Thomas (if we already used 13 on a OT):

Iupati, Spiller, Graham, Jason Pierre Paul

If we didn't take a OT with 13, I'd take any of these OT's ahead of Thomas:

Bulaga, Davis, Williams, Campbell

So yea, I'd take alot of guys over Thomas. Part of it is because I am high on other safety's available outside of the 1st round:

Chad Jones, Reshard Jones, Kam Chancellor, Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, etc....

Ok first of all:

Spiller, Pierre Paul will be gone before the 17th pick!

Second: So if Scott McC. wont go after an "Undersized" Safety in Earl Thomas, why would he go after an Undersized DE/OLB in Brandon Graham?

Third: I know for a fact Scott McC. will never invest a 1st round pick in a Guard especially the 17the pick overall. So Iupati is out !

If we go BPA: itll be Earl Thomas at that Point. But i do agree, their is a lot of good safeties in this draft. But Thomas/Berry are way above the others in talent.

You speak as if you are God. Since you know so many "facts", let's see how accurate you are with the first 17 picks. I admit I don't know exactly how the draft will play out and you don't either.

Oh regarding Graham. He is not undersized. Get it straight. He is 266 lbs LB. He is 6-1.5. According to alot of NFL scouts/GM's, he's short for a prototypical OLB. For some reason, they like 6-4 guys and over.

As for Thomas, not only is he short, he is LIGHT. Graham is not LIGHT. Graham does not have problems with his tackling skills. Everyone knows about Graham's awesome pass rushing skills, but he is even better aagainst the run (including setting the edge).

Oh, as for your "I know Scotty would never take a guard in the first round BS" You do know he is the one that pushed the Seahawks to take Hutchison in the 1st round right???????????

What he doesn't agree or like to do is PAY guards alot of money. He has NEVER said he would never draft a guard in the first round.

Look, I'm not looking for an argument. You put up a thread asking people to let you know what we think. I did that while respecting your opinion. Why are you so offended that I don't like your mock where you selected a small little safety who can't tackle?

Im not here for argument and I appreciate your feedback and opinions, even tho i greatly disagree with them.

You said: "Oh regarding Graham. He is not undersized. Get it straight. He is 266 lbs LB. He is 6-1.5. According to alot of NFL scouts/GM's, he's short for a prototypical OLB. For some reason, they like 6-4 guys and over"

So if he is short for a prototypical OLB..doesnt that mean he is undersized, and exactly what I was getting at????

Than you said: "Oh, as for your "I know Scotty would never take a guard in the first round BS" You do know he is the one that pushed the Seahawks to take Hutchison in the 1st round right???????????

What he doesn't agree or like to do is PAY guards alot of money. He has NEVER said he would never draft a guard in the first round."

Well, if he doesnt agree to pay gaurds alot of money, the 17th pick in the draft if a Guard was chosen would be 5years 19-25 Mill. with about 13 mill gauranteed?? isnt that alot for an UNPROVEN GUARD?

And I dont speak as if im "GOD"...thats wrong to even say. Whether we disagree or agree is Ok, but Im speaking based off what I know as an avid College FB and NFL follower.

Im not no messiah or a psychic, this is just my opinion based off what ive heard or read. And I can guaranteed after the combine and F/A it will change.

I see both sides of your debate here. In regards to the OG's, it's entirely possible that Scot didn't see the value of a guy like Smiley whom he let walk for the money that he was going to demand. That does not mean we would not take Iupati, who has the potential to be the next Hutch, and if he has plays as such we would likely be willing to pay to keep him when his contract expired.

Value is in the eyes of the beholder when it comes to a team's personnel and money plays a major factor, see Peppers Julius for a prime example. The Panthers are willing to let him walk because they don't feel he is worth the 18 million or so he thinks he should be paid. He plays a prime position where players are highly valued but teams don't want to overpay with a salary cap to manage, it becomes to difficult to balance out the roster overall with having top end talent at multiple positions.

As far as Earl Thomas goes, he could still be a viable option for us. He has playmaking ability and though he does not possess great size he is not alone in this league. There are multiple FS's who are of a similar size and weight who are very talented. Scot may have stressed size but that doesn't mean it's the be all end all to any debates about a player. Singletary will have some say and could attempt to persuade Scot to take the kid if he feels really strong about his abilities and that is something to keep in mind.

As for Graham, the kid is short for both the OLB and DE positions by NFL standards, doesn't mean he won't overcome it and be successful but teams may downgrade your value slightly when being on the small side. Some teams don't necessarily care as long as they believe in your talent and upside.

Well said on both Earl Thomas and Ben Graham, Respectfully. Good Post and I see your point being made.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Good mock.
no way can we afford to pass on cj spiller and dez bryant in same draft im just saying i dont like earl thomas pick he is undersized at fs and bad at run support and i thought scot does'nt draft undersized player its a big mans game in the words of our gm
Why Berry and not Thomas? Berry can play anywhere...and at FS could be the next Ed Reed. Thomas isn't in that class...Berry's a stout tackler, Thomas isn't. Berry is a unique talent...one of those rare playmakers who can have huge impact on a game. I don't see Thomas as a game-changer...Berry is.
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
no way can we afford to pass on cj spiller and dez bryant in same draft im just saying i dont like earl thomas pick he is undersized at fs and bad at run support and i thought scot does'nt draft undersized player its a big mans game in the words of our gm

I agree here. I dont think we go safety in the first round unless Berry falls to us.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

I agree here. I dont think we go safety in the first round unless Berry falls to us.

this
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Why Berry and not Thomas? Berry can play anywhere...and at FS could be the next Ed Reed. Thomas isn't in that class...Berry's a stout tackler, Thomas isn't. Berry is a unique talent...one of those rare playmakers who can have huge impact on a game. I don't see Thomas as a game-changer...Berry is.

this
Share 49ersWebzone