There are 88 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Campbell a reach at #17?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by mayo63:
I think he's a workout warrior, but hey if he goes before #17 it just means another OT falls to us.

He's definitely a workout warrior, but he has the work ethic and all the tools to become a great OT, especially if he gets with the right team/o-line coach.

I think the guy even sleeps in the weight room. I mean love to have him but after today i think he's going top 5 and okung may have a run for that first tackle taking. Now i love to trade up and grab one of them. This would give us the ability with joe staley and Campbell or Okung having the feet and talent to play either lt or rt in a pinch.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Feb 28, 2010 at 20:42:02 ]
Yes, a reach. Work out warrior whose tape is apparently terrible. 2nd round. Of course he'll be pick at 8 by the Raiders anyway.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by olapac:
Why do I have the feeling that this guy has bust written all over him?

I don't know why, but Bruce Campbell makes me think of OT Tony Mandarich.

But I'm not saying Campbell uses steroids!!!

YA. Bad comparison. Mandarich bulked up through steroids and was also an alcoholic. Campbell is just a work out warrior who still isnt polished but could ultimately be the best OT in this draft when its all said and done.
Before any kudos are passed out, let's see what actually happens in the draft. We all like to think we have a good idea, but strange things can and often do happen. It's probable the best OT's will fly off the board early, but it's not a given. After Campbell's awesome combine workout, agree, Big Al will most likely fall in love with him.

One thing I picked up on in one of MM's latest posts was he feels Charles Brown is a worthy OT pick. Some seem to think USC OL aren't good picks, but if you look around the NFL there are a number of 'em. Anyway, Brown is very agile, can play both OT positions and is adept at zone blocking, something Coach Solari's implementing this off-season. He could rise on a number of draft boards, maybe ours, too.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
I would take campbell with 13 in a second. He`s ripped and he kinda reminds me of patrick willis the way he talks and carrys himself...

Campbell looks good the only problem is he sucks at blocking
I beleive he's a huge reach. They said teams had a 3rd and 4th round grade on him based on his blocking. Just bc he can bench press a truck and run fast doesn't mean he can block. Why would we take a RT who can't block in the 1st round? How will that help us next year? Campbell has project player written all over him.
i hear he not as impressive on film especially at run blocking but as far as combine the dude tore it up like vernon davis and that pick turned out pretty well for us he is a weight room freak 30 something reps on bench press and he ran a 4.78 in 40 yard dash he is a starter for 10 years at left tackle 6ft 6 314lbs with a body builder physique and he is great in pass protection extremely quick feet i would prefer a anthony davis a more larry allen type grinder but if cambell there at 17 cant argue with logic should provide plenty time for alex to throw we would have to move staley to rt cause campbell is far better athlete
He's a reach anywhere in the 1st round. I think he goes in the 20's somewhere. I don't think the Raiders gonna do it again but it is the Raiders. His poor play during games just standout to me more than his workout. A mean streak and desire to be dominant, and want to compete is what he's missing not sure if that can be coached.
i agree, he looked great @ the combine, but......

• TX9R
  • Veteran
He's totally going to Oakland.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Before any kudos are passed out, let's see what actually happens in the draft. We all like to think we have a good idea, but strange things can and often do happen. It's probable the best OT's will fly off the board early, but it's not a given. After Campbell's awesome combine workout, agree, Big Al will most likely fall in love with him.

One thing I picked up on in one of MM's latest posts was he feels Charles Brown is a worthy OT pick. Some seem to think USC OL aren't good picks, but if you look around the NFL there are a number of 'em. Anyway, Brown is very agile, can play both OT positions and is adept at zone blocking, something Coach Solari's implementing this off-season. He could rise on a number of draft boards, maybe ours, too.

I have been thinking about Brown to Seattle even at #14 because of his in with Carroll and his abilities in the Zone Scheme. That is why I think they may even go after Bulaga at #6 if Clausen or Berry is not there because he's a shoe-in starter for any Zone blocking team which Seattle now is.

If all the players are off their board by #14 who they want they may reach a bit for Brown as the drop off is considerable after him.
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
i hear he not as impressive on film especially at run blocking but as far as combine the dude tore it up like vernon davis and that pick turned out pretty well for us he is a weight room freak 30 something reps on bench press and he ran a 4.78 in 40 yard dash he is a starter for 10 years at left tackle 6ft 6 314lbs with a body builder physique and he is great in pass protection extremely quick feet i would prefer a anthony davis a more larry allen type grinder but if cambell there at 17 cant argue with logic should provide plenty time for alex to throw we would have to move staley to rt cause campbell is far better athlete

I would never draft this dude in the 1st round. The difference between him and Vernon is Vernon tore it up his Junior year, Campbell didn't. Although they were both workout warriors Vernon also had the tape to back it up.

This pick reminds me of when the Raiders took Gallery who in my eyes is still a bust.

I know we have been looking at picking up a blocking TE....maybe he could be converted to TE. He's faster than most of them and probably has better hands than Vernon.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

I have been thinking about Brown to Seattle even at #14 because of his in with Carroll and his abilities in the Zone Scheme. That is why I think they may even go after Bulaga at #6 if Clausen or Berry is not there because he's a shoe-in starter for any Zone blocking team which Seattle now is.

If all the players are off their board by #14 who they want they may reach a bit for Brown as the drop off is considerable after him.

Berry or Clausen pretty much have to be there for Seattle. They pick 6th and I would pretty much guarantee that 4 of the top 5 will be Bradford, the 2 DTs, and Okung. I dont see them passing on Berry lets say for Bulaga.
Originally posted by ninerdaddy:
i agree, he looked great @ the combine, but......

The tape doesn't lie, but it also doesn't tell the whole story. He's clearly a raw prospect that needs time/coaching. However, consider the fact that college teams only get 20 hours a week to work with their players, so most of that time goes into game-planning and executing the plays. They don't have endless hours to work on technique, leverage, hand-placement, etc. Not to mention, he's only a junior who could've greatly benefitted from staying his senior year.

So as an NFL team, you have to decide...do I want a guy who has ALL the tools and seemingly the desire to be a great OT yet needs some work (high-ceiling), or do I take a guy who doesn't quite have the physical gifts as the first guy, but is pro-ready on day 1 and will probably be ok, but not necessarily great (low-floor)?

To me, there's no right or wrong answer...only options. So one option for our team is to re-sign a veteran like Pashos and plug him in as the starting RT, while you draft/develop a young/raw guy like Campbell. Coach him up for a year+, let him absorb the playbook, blocking schemes, speed of the game, NFL defensive schemes and get his technique to become solid, then release this monster on the NFL.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:57:22 ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
So one option for our team is to re-sign a veteran like Pashos and plug him in as the starting RT, while you draft/develop a young/raw guy like Campbell. Coach him up for a year+, let him absorb the playbook, blocking schemes, speed of the game, NFL defensive schemes and get his technique to become solid, then release this monster on the NFL.

I would only take Campbell if this is the plan. If we're looking to get this year's starting RT in the draft, then I'd stay away from Campbell.