LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

This OL class could be even better than expected

Early reports from the Combine:
Russell Okung did 35 bench reps, insane for a long-armed guy.
Bruce Campbell looks like Mr. Universe and ran crazy fast (4.85 according to McShay, 4.78!! according to Barrows).
Trent Williams ran 4.88 at 330 pounds. Jesus. You could get killed on the jogging path by something like that.
Not to say that numbers are everything, but this OL class looks really strong to me.
Al Davis will probably take Campbell, Okung will be long gone, but we have a shot at Williams, Iupati or Bulaga at 13 or 17. Throw in Spiller or trade back for Graham, get a top DB in the 2nd, and it's payback time in the NFC West.
Thoughts on the relative talent level of this OL class?
Sounds good
i can't wait for the draft
I forgot about Anthony Davis. Anybody heard how he's doing?
Very impressed by Trent Williams today, Davis looked overweight for my liking but what is the report on Cole Pemberton? I liked that guy, at the moment likely gonna be undrafted
You should post in the entire OL class is overrated thread too
okung hurt his lower body injury per espn.
Originally posted by noobie:
You should post in the entire OL class is overrated thread too

Nice one.
From all accounts, the OL depth is pretty good this year and I think were it I, I would think hard about getting guys like Iupati and Pouncey and Earl Thomas. For one Thomas could cover both corner and safety slots and I think between the guys we have and Iupati and Pouncey we could easily cover the OL needs. We might need to trade up for Pouncey from the second but I think it would be worth it. I think I would trade a player like Franklin and draft Pouncey. I think we could pick up a decent big body in the third. As for kick and punt returners, I am not really enthused as to spending high picks for them as I thought the major problem was our numbnut coaches had no one who was filling that slot. I would scan thru the lower rounds and free agents for a few of those types of returners. I think a major problem with the niners for the past decade is that there was little foresight and contingency plans. My recollection of Walsh was he would have had armagedon covered but McCloughan and co. would run out of tp and sit on the throne forever.
Originally posted by rivercity:
I forgot about Anthony Davis. Anybody heard how he's doing?

Terrible... for being considered a top 10 pick.

I'd like to throw out a few more names:

Ed Wang OT Va Tech - very underrated athlete
John Jerry Ole Miss
Roger Saffold OT Ind
Pouncey Fla

All of these guys have been impressive at the Combine. They just move with a certain fluidity.

Trent Williams has been impressive as well, but I'm not really surprised. He played RT for the first three years at Oklahoma and switched to the left side his senior year. Trust me, its not easy switching sides over night because of the footwork and kick slide is backwards. He can play RT from day 1.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

John Jerry Ole Miss
Roger Saffold OT Ind
Pouncey Fla

All of these guys have been impressive at the Combine. They just move with a certain fluidity.

Trent Williams has been impressive as well, but I'm not really surprised. He played RT for the first three years at Oklahoma and switched to the left side his senior year. Trust me, its not easy switching sides over night because of the footwork and kick slide is backwards. He can play RT from day 1.

Saffold and Jerry looked especially good in drills. I think one or both of them should be around in the 2nd -3rd round area if the Niners don't take an OL in the first.
Originally posted by DesiDez:

John Jerry Ole Miss
Roger Saffold OT Ind
Pouncey Fla

I think the Niners should pick up Staffold in the 2nd if they don't get Iupati in the first. I think that guy will be a beast G.
Jared Veldheer. Fastest shuttle/cone and 9'1" broad jump. Never heard of him before, he any good?

Trent Williams looked real real good to me, wouldn't mind having him at all. He looked very fluid, more like a natural tackle than just a big guy who plays football.
We have a real solid chance in solidifying our OL for years in this draft. 2-3 OLs could be had and why not? We need depth and talent and this class is pretty deep it seems.

We seem to now have another player in the mix for top 10 OL and that is Campbell who posted eye popping numbers for a man his size. That really works well for us because Williams is giving Bulaga a run for his money as the #2 OT. I still think that the order is a such: Okung, Bulaga, Williams, Davis, and Campell. And that is just for the #13 pick.

Imagine where we could get another OG. Yup, #17 with Iupati. Yet, we may get excellent value with another pick in #17 like D. Williams, E. Thomas, B. Graham, or better yet, Spiller. I have been touting the OT/Iupati combo for a while and would love it. I just think that we can land a Asamoah, Ducasse, Johnson, Petrus, Jerry, Carter, etc later while grabbing another impact player with #17.

Options...
Share 49ersWebzone