There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Barrows: Niners not likely to draft Spiller

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
And, this McDisaster philosophy has delivered us Chilo Rachal instead of DeSean Jackson, and the Steelers Rashard Mendenhall rather than Chris Johnson.

Here is the deal: This is not a BIG MAN league, this is a BIG PLAY league. Teams that make plays wins games. Spiller is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Glen Coffee is not.

Damn, MadDog, I didn't know you were on the Spiller bandwagon. Totally agree with you.
Well, if you take Scottie as his word, that he likes Big and he wants to spell Gore, there are some big running backs, 230-40 lbs, in the 2nd through 4th rounds that would float his boat.
Jonathan Dwyer
Legarrette Blount
Toby Gerhart

I would take Spiller, but I don't have Scottie on my speed dial.
Dont look too much into it. Just earlier in the week (or was it last week?), Scot responded to a question about a running back and he mentioned on whether they also have the ability to return kicks. There is always a possibility and Singletary will definitely have a say.
Life's short in this business. And if you have a vision, stick with it. And if you go wrong, at least you go wrong with your own vision. You're not flip-flopping back and forth each year."

Later I asked McCloughan if, after five years of drafting bigger-bodied players, the 49ers could afford to go in a different direction and draft a smaller, fleeter-footed player. Here's what he said: "What I learned early from (former Packers GM) Ron Wolf is if you draft an exception then you have a team of exceptions. ... You can't go against your philosophy."

This is why our two fastest starters are a TE and an ILB.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
And, this McDisaster philosophy has delivered us Chilo Rachal instead of DeSean Jackson, and the Steelers Rashard Mendenhall rather than Chris Johnson.

Here is the deal: This is not a BIG MAN league, this is a BIG PLAY league. Teams that make plays wins games. Spiller is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Glen Coffee is not.
This is the best comment I've read about this issue. We picked Balmer and Rachal over Jackson! Even a HIGH recommendation by Jerry Rice who worked with him wasn't enough to influence their thinking. I think I would have listened to the G.O.A.T about his opinion. But hey, what the hell do I know?
If we sign Sproles, it becomes a moot point...and then Singletary can go big guys with both 1st rd picks. My ideal draft then would be Campbell and Iupati...two big guys who can move, which is what OL Coach Solari's looking for. End of 1st rd, OL is upgraded, done. Then you can go one of the top DL or CB in 2nd, maybe that big RB in the 3rd...a Gerhart or Dixon. If that happens, it upgrades our offense in a big way...
Emmitt Smith was 5'9 -210. Spiller is 5'11- 197. 13 lbs difference and Spiller is 2 inches taller. I thought emmitt was pretty damn durable. I agree with Maddog. This is a big play league not a big mans league. We are not gonna draft a Dexter Carter and expect him to carry the ball 20+ times a game. As a change of pace back and KR/PR Spiller kills two birds with one stone. If he is there and we do not take him. I will be pretty upset. Just like I was when Balmer was taken.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
I'm amused

We have one beat writer who thinks it's likely that we'll draft Spiller (Maiocco)

And another who won't (Barrows)
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
If we sign Sproles, it becomes a moot point...and then Singletary can go big guys with both 1st rd picks. My ideal draft then would be Campbell and Iupati...two big guys who can move, which is what OL Coach Solari's looking for. End of 1st rd, OL is upgraded, done. Then you can go one of the top DL or CB in 2nd, maybe that big RB in the 3rd...a Gerhart or Dixon. If that happens, it upgrades our offense in a big way...

And champaigne corks would be popping in this house
Yep...I hope Mac is quick and bold and gets Sproles signed as quickly as possible. That would really set up our 1st rd to finally fix our OL. I think Campbell and Iupati could really be something in Solari and Ray Brown's hands.