There are 114 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Barrows: Niners not likely to draft Spiller

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GMniner805:
These guys are just looking for somthing to write about.

Coffee weighed in at 209 at over 6' tall last year, just 13 lbs heavier than Spiller. If the 49ers pass on him it will have nothing to do with his build, because the man is solid like rock.

I agree, Spiller adds 5 lbs and Scotty's got his big back. All noise if you ask me.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
And, this McDisaster philosophy has delivered us Chilo Rachal instead of DeSean Jackson, and the Steelers Rashard Mendenhall rather than Chris Johnson.

Here is the deal: This is not a BIG MAN league, this is a BIG PLAY league. Teams that make plays wins games. Spiller is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Glen Coffee is not.

Well said. Maybe Scott is acutally throwing everyone a smoke screen and he actually knows what he is doing for a change. We can hope anyway. If he really feels this way and passes on a real playmaker again then we should fire his ass and look for a smarter footballl man to run this organization.
Originally posted by mayo63:

Coffee weighed in at 209 at over 6' tall last year, just 13 lbs heavier than Spiller. If the 49ers pass on him it will have nothing to do with his build, because the man is solid like rock.

I agree, Spiller adds 5 lbs and Scotty's got his big back. All noise if you ask me.

Not really, Coffee is bulked up to about 220 when the season started, and I believe he said the team wants him to be about 225. Spiller doesn't have the frame to get nearly that high, he could probably get 200 and that's about it.

Teams don't often draft based on what a player's weight is, but rather if they have the frame to bulk up, which is what Scott means by big players. Spiller doesn't match that qualification.
I just think it's funny that Barrows notes that Crabtree fits the prototypical big-bodied player the Niners draft (6'1", 210lbs) as opposed to Spiller who doesn't (5'10", 197lbs. How are three inches and thirteen pounds that big of a difference?
And, this McDisaster philosophy has delivered us Chilo Rachal instead of DeSean Jackson, and the Steelers Rashard Mendenhall rather than Chris Johnson.

Here is the deal: This is not a BIG MAN league, this is a BIG PLAY league. Teams that make plays wins games. Spiller is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Glen Coffee is not.

get him mad dog!
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
I just think it's funny that Barrows notes that Crabtree fits the prototypical big-bodied player the Niners draft (6'1", 210lbs) as opposed to Spiller who doesn't (5'10", 197lbs. How are three inches and thirteen pounds that big of a difference?

It's a game of inches my man!! lol
Originally posted by Niners23:

Not really, Coffee is bulked up to about 220 when the season started, and I believe he said the team wants him to be about 225. Spiller doesn't have the frame to get nearly that high, he could probably get 200 and that's about it.

Teams don't often draft based on what a player's weight is, but rather if they have the frame to bulk up, which is what Scott means by big players. Spiller doesn't match that qualification.

And Spiller can run a 40 in the low 4.3's something Coffee could never do.....its all about strengths and role for team.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, but Spiller is taller than Gore he just not as chucky as him. But, that's his game, speed ala Chris Johnson. No reason he can't bulk up a bit and not lose his speed.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Feb 26, 2010 at 12:23:22 ]

People forget that just yesterday both McLoughan and Singletary were saying that they needed to find a way to preserve Gore. Singletary gave more clues that McLoughan did though. I think McLoughan might be throwing up smoke and mirrors. He knows the Niners have plenty of size on offense. That means he also knows they have very little speed.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Just an opinion of a beat writer

Both Barrows and Maiocco seemed to reach the same conclusion, I don't think you can just dismiss it that easily. I agree that as long as McCloughan is in charged, we will not be drafting Spiller in the 1st.

Have you ever heard of disinformation? I'm not saying the 49ers will draft Spiller,
Best or McCluster, but do you regularly show everyone around you what cards you have been dealt in a poker game?
Outside of Josh Cribbs how many kick returners fit McCoughlan's descriptions?

If you want a speed back and a return man you're going to be looking for a smaller back. Honestly if this is the reason why McClueless passes on Spiller I hope he gets canned next offseason.

I'm fine with other priorities or better value, but he's too small? F* you Scotty. Yeah the same size as Chris Johnson and Percy Harvin.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 26, 2010 at 12:51:05 ]

You always have to be suspicious of a GM that has the 40 times of all his players listed on a wall in his office to "prove" his team has speed.

Ridiculous.
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for olapac.

That's a big difference because of the positions. RBs take many more hits than WRs.
Personally I think Spiller could get the job done as a 3rd down, change of pace back and would work well in a tandem with Gore/Coffee as the lead dog. We need playmakers on offense.
But I would be concerned if he was getting 20-25 carries a game at his size.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Just an opinion of a beat writer

Both Barrows and Maiocco seemed to reach the same conclusion, I don't think you can just dismiss it that easily. I agree that as long as McCloughan is in charged, we will not be drafting Spiller in the 1st.

Have you ever heard of disinformation? I'm not saying the 49ers will draft Spiller,
Best or McCluster, but do you regularly show everyone around you what cards you have been dealt in a poker game?

I'm fine with playing the bluff game. But prior drafts indicate that niners won't draft a smaller guy. Plus, everyone knew that the niners were targeting willis. Niners don't play that game.
Originally posted by olapac:

That's a big difference because of the positions. RBs take many more hits than WRs.
Personally I think Spiller could get the job done as a 3rd down, change of pace back and would work well in a tandem with Gore/Coffee as the lead dog. We need playmakers on offense.
But I would be concerned if he was getting 20-25 carries a game at his size.

Spiller is not an every down back anyway, so McCloughan's statement about bigger players and years of wear and tear should not be an issue with Spiller.

[ Edited by ninerdaddy on Feb 26, 2010 at 12:59:41 ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home