LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

Barrows: Niners not likely to draft Spiller

This is the same reason why the niners did not draft DeSean Jackson. That was a great decision. Balmer's big body is working out quite well for us.

Oh and the niners of the 80's sure had some big bodies all around with McKittrick's philosophy.

LINK
Just an opinion of a beat writer
Originally posted by jreff22:

Both Barrows and Maiocco seemed to reach the same conclusion, I don't think you can just dismiss it that easily. I agree that as long as McCloughan is in charged, we will not be drafting Spiller in the 1st.
Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Both Barrows and Maiocco seemed to reach the same conclusion, I don't think you can just dismiss it that easily. I agree that as long as McCloughan is in charged, we will not be drafting Spiller in the 1st.

Once those 40 times start rolling in, heads will turn.
And, this McDisaster philosophy has delivered us Chilo Rachal instead of DeSean Jackson, and the Steelers Rashard Mendenhall rather than Chris Johnson.

Here is the deal: This is not a BIG MAN league, this is a BIG PLAY league. Teams that make plays wins games. Spiller is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Glen Coffee is not.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Feb 26, 2010 at 11:54:36 ]
Lol @ our GM

I guess Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin all suck cus of their tiny frames
i don't pay attention to anything any writers or analysts say before the draft.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Kind of disturbing to think that McCloughan doesn't see Spiller as a difference maker.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Lol @ our GM

I guess Chris Johnson, DeSean Jackson, Percy Harvin all suck cus of their tiny frames

I think it's an issue with their longevity rather than their big play capability.

I personally don't care if we draft Spiller or not.

-9fA
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
i don't pay attention to anything any writers or analysts say before the draft.

It wasn't just the analyst read what McCloughan said

Quote:
"I'll never lose sight of this and maybe I'm a dinosaur in this, but it's a big man's game. From the standpoint of holding up through a season durability-wise. But also in the playoffs. You have to have some size and some power and strength I think to be a contender year in and year out."

"Life's short in this business. And if you have a vision, stick with it. And if you go wrong, at least you go wrong with your own vision. You're not flip-flopping back and forth each year."

Later I asked McCloughan if, after five years of drafting bigger-bodied players, the 49ers could afford to go in a different direction and draft a smaller, fleeter-footed player. Here's what he said: "What I learned early from (former Packers GM) Ron Wolf is if you draft an exception then you have a team of exceptions. ... You can't go against your philosophy."

He never said that they weren't likely to draft him. He says that is a reason they might not. Just like there is a reason they might not draft 300 other players.

Let's say they dont draft him, maybe they look at Reggie Bush to fill that spot. He is a bigger player with a similar skillset. Either way, it doesnt change the fact that the Niners need a complimentary back to Gore and a return man.

[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Feb 26, 2010 at 12:03:54 ]
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Lol @ our GM

I think it's an issue with their longevity rather than their big play capability.

I personally don't care if we draft Spiller or not.

-9fA

Well yea but that can go for any player and they can always put on weight, but if it's clear talent you gotta take it. Honestly I don't care if we draft Spiller or not as long as we address our issues, but we need a speedy threat on the offense. If we don't go after Spiller I'd like us to go after someone like Sproles or Bush....speed + KR/PR issues

[ Edited by BirdmanJr on Feb 26, 2010 at 12:01:53 ]
I don't think he's picking Spiller either. I think he's gonna worry bout a change of pace back in the 3rd round. And well we all know how his 3rd round picks turn out minus Gore. What bothers me is i wonder if he just drafted Chilo, and Balmer b/c they were big guys.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Anyone else think it's all smoke and mirrors? If I was the GM and coveted Spiller, I'd want to do everything I could to make it seem like I WASN'T interested in him.
These guys are just looking for somthing to write about.

Coffee weighed in at 209 at over 6' tall last year, just 13 lbs heavier than Spiller. If the 49ers pass on him it will have nothing to do with his build, because the man is solid like rock.
Share 49ersWebzone