LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

If Dez Bryant falls to 13

If Dez Bryant falls to 13

Okay, I really don't want Dez Bryant. You guys have probably seen me talk about how I want Earl Thomas or another 2ndary guy at 17, atleast if any of you pay attention to my posts. For me there's WAY too many problems with Bryant, the whole suspended for the year thing because of Deion who helped put us through the whole Crab holdout with his butt buddy Parker, that he hasn't run at the combine or his pro day when scouts (I assume) thought he would run a 40 at his pro day, and because he's a bit smaller than advertised(6'2'' vs 6'3/6'4'' is kind of a difference between a Brandon Marshall type player and a Boldin type player, and we already have the Boldin type guy in Crabs).

HOWEVER, while teams were turned off because of similar things about Crabtree(not running the 40 because of his foot, but Crab didn't have any of the other problems either, but Mangina did call him a diva so I dunno), Scotty WASN'T. He was in love with what he saw on film, Crabtree fit his mold for a player, built solid(there are guys the same height as Crab but built like stick figures, Crab is solid and runs really good routes and has good hands) while still having decent athleticism, he could block, he came out of a spread O that threw the ball all over the place, etc. It's the same thing for Dez Bryant, insane production, he's solid, he runs like he's mad at people kind of like TO did, he has some character concerns, and if he's around at 17 or even 13(which he could be considering a lot of teams ahead of us don't need wide outs except maybe Denver and they're leery of guys with questionable characters) I suspect Scotty would pick him. He would present very good value for the spot, he's an explosive athlete even though he's not the burner we need(which would be DeSean Jackson but Scott hates small players!), he has the production to back it up, and he has character concerns and Parker as an agent but I don't think Scott would be afraid of picking a Eugene Parker player seeing as he outlasted Parker last year and probably feels like he won that battle.

Scotty has already stated he loves big players who are strong and athletic, that he goes by his BPA on his board and doesn't really let small issues stop him from drafting a player. He also loves to draft guys from spread offenses despite our HCs always saying we're wanting to be a smash mouth team. Smith, Crabtree, Morgan, Nate Davis(I think came from a spread, could be wrong though), VD might've come from a spread too, I'm not sure what Maryland runs. Not only that but we could use more weapons because Morgan may not be more than a #3 and none of the guys like HIll/Jones stepped up last year to be the #2 to crabtree's #1.

WHat do you all think?
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
We're not drafting a receiver in the first round.
could happen
Id be happy with bryant at 17 can u talk about value.......McClueless would never pick bryant though he does not like the attitude....Crabtree was never suspended and loves football thats why mCC took him
  • krizay
  • Veteran
needs to be the pick at 13 if there
Originally posted by A-R-S:
We're not drafting a receiver in the first round.

Too much talent available in places of need (OT, CB, S, DE, RB, QB?)
I'm fine if we pick him. We need more weapons. And his impact would be greater than Spiller IMO.
I would have no problem going OL and Dez but it won't happen.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Serious question here.

Why is it the perception that Dez Bryant has "character issues?"

He was suspended for being in contact with an NFL representative before he was allowed to. Not exactly Adam James status yet.
Wishful thinking but it won't happen. MAYBE if we do get a desired OL with 13 and Dez falls to 17, otherwise no. I just don't think we're gonna draft two WRs in back to back 1st rounds.

Despite what Scotty has said, I think we're more likely to pick Spiller if both Spiller and Dez happened to be there.

I have a hunch that all this talk of drafting big players may just be a smokescreen to not give up our hand.
[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Mar 11, 2010 at 2:53 AM ]

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Though any can drop on draft day, I expect Dez to be drafted in top 10. He will run for the scouts sometime in late March and there are plenty of teams in top 10 that need a no.1 WR (Tampa, Seattle, Cleveland, Chiefs, Jags, Miami, Denver once they trade Marshall). Bills could also use a WR opposite Lee Evans.
no way mccoughlan takes dez, i just dont see him taking back to back wrs in the 1st. though i wouldnt mind having him
would love dez at 13 however i would only take him if we at least 2 OT were avaliable at 13 (so one will drop to 17)
i would surrender my season tickets if we picked up another recvr in the 1st rd let alone another one with the agent that gave us a headache last year

but i'm not a season ticket holder so i'll be ok
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ether:
Serious question here.

Why is it the perception that Dez Bryant has "character issues?"

He was suspended for being in contact with an NFL representative before he was allowed to. Not exactly Adam James status yet.

Because he sleeps during games.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/01/buyer-beware-on-dez-bryant-too/

Crabtree is/was a better receiver and didn't have these problems. Coaches raved about the guy. Scott got the receiver he wanted. End of story.
Share 49ersWebzone