There are 354 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Schefter confident Bradford goes #1

Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by mayo63:
They need to build their team first then go for a QB. Bradford or Clausen is going to get killed behind that line.

Actually their line improved greatly over the course of last season. Jackson is good, but teams knew it and still couldn't stop him, a no matter how good he still had to have holes, and he did. They took the best LT last year, he'll only get better. The situation isn't as bad as what Alex had, their problems are more on the defense than anything.
That being said I'm not sold on Bradford, spread guy who did well when he had NFL talent in college, never showed he could handle pressure, and is a long term injury risk. I hope they take him because the odds say he won't pan out and that's one team we won't have to worry about for at least 5 years.

They took 2 OT's last year...so you're right the line is young but talented.
^^F-A-I-L
This is a projector:

Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by LottsZombiePinky:

Smoke and projectors?

I'm guessing smoke screen.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Smoke and projectors?

I'm guessing smoke screen.

Winner!!!!!!

You may choose any item from the bottom two rows:

[ Edited by LottsZombiePinky on Feb 26, 2010 at 07:41:43 ]
They need to build their team first then go for a QB. Bradford or Clausen is going to get killed behind that line.

Actually their line improved greatly over the course of last season. Jackson is good, but teams knew it and still couldn't stop him, a no matter how good he still had to have holes, and he did. They took the best LT last year, he'll only get better. The situation isn't as bad as what Alex had, their problems are more on the defense than anything.
That being said I'm not sold on Bradford, spread guy who did well when he had NFL talent in college, never showed he could handle pressure, and is a long term injury risk. I hope they take him because the odds say he won't pan out and that's one team we won't have to worry about for at least 5 years.

That's the thing about Bradford we still really haven't seen him under pressure enough to see how he can hold up. But one thing for sure the NFL guys seem to love his size and accuracy. But for some reason when I look at him I just don't see that It that confidence needed. But I thought Freeman was gonna be a train wreck and he did pretty well. I'm guessing his shoulder checked out though he's not throwing at the combine. I think this is more of a strategic move for the new owners to have somebody to sell to there fans. they can't make Mike Vick the face of a struggling franchise, and they can't make it a DT. It seems stupid to some but not to businessman who have millions and millions riding on the team. I think it's a pretty strong chance they take him. If they draft Suh or McCoy you have half your teams salary tied up in the o line and d line.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,600 for DynastyPart2.

Smoke and projectors?

Love the name though dude, VERY creative!
It's all financial. If they drafted a DT #1 overall they would have to pay him at least 12 million a year. As you can see from the franchise tag placed on Franklin, the average of the highest paid DT's is 7 million a year. I don't think that position is worth 12 million a year.

Smoke and projectors?

No, its smoke portable projection screen, pfft huck obviously you didnt graduate high school
John Clayton wrote an article about the financial reasons the Rams would pick Bradford over Suh. He uses past examples of great DTs that never helped their team win more games.

why money matters in the nfl draft
Originally posted by teeohh:
John Clayton wrote an article about the financial reasons the Rams would pick Bradford over Suh. He uses past examples of great DTs that never helped their team win more games.

It' true. The rookie salaries in the front end of the draft are a crutch. It's one of the reasons that QBs are drafted so early and why we have so many busts at that position.

For teams sitting in our position though, it probably works in our favor. Guys like Berry, McClain and Spiller tend to fall because of the position they play.

IMO, DTs just aren't that important to where you can throw $8-10M/yr at them. They'll never impact a team like a starting QB will. I can see a team taking Suh #1 if they ran a 3-4 and he was going to play DE for them, but the Rams aren't going to win more games because Suh is plugging the middle. He's a special player, but for the money, it's hard to justify taking him #1 when your team doesn't have a QB.
Originally posted by strickac:

It' true. The rookie salaries in the front end of the draft are a crutch. It's one of the reasons that QBs are drafted so early and why we have so many busts at that position.

For teams sitting in our position though, it probably works in our favor. Guys like Berry, McClain and Spiller tend to fall because of the position they play.

IMO, DTs just aren't that important to where you can throw $8-10M/yr at them. They'll never impact a team like a starting QB will. I can see a team taking Suh #1 if they ran a 3-4 and he was going to play DE for them, but the Rams aren't going to win more games because Suh is plugging the middle. He's a special player, but for the money, it's hard to justify taking him #1 when your team doesn't have a QB.

Add to the fact that they have taken 2 D Linemen with the first pick the past 3 years
Originally posted by jreff22:

Add to the fact that they have taken 2 D Linemen with the first pick the past 3 years

Maybe the Rams will be the Detroit Lions of DT's. They will keep drafting DT's until they have to scrap the entire front office.
At this point, I'd much rather go against Bradford with no offensive line and receivers and still recovering from a bad shoulder, then Suh against our interior line.
Here is a scout's web page that compares the pros and cons of choosing Bradford or Suh for the Rams:

http://www.movethesticks.com/
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
I hope the Rams pick Suh. I'd hate for them to find a franchise QB, but I think they'll take either Bradford or Claussen.

With their line and receivers, I see his early career going very much like Alex Smith's.

The #2 overall pick last year was an OT that saw action in a handful of games due to injury. Their OL actually improved last year from the year prior so if they can get Jason Smith on the field for 16 games and add another body or 2 via FA and the draft that can push for starting jobs they shouldn't have too much to worry about up front. They aren't in a place where they need to invest high draft picks to get better in the trenches now so taking a QB would be a wise investment for this regime going forward.