There are 165 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you agree with McCloughan's "Bigger is Better" draft philosophy?

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
With smaller skill position players coming in from spread offenses more than ever, it seems fitting that McCloughan called himself a dinosaur while holding onto an outdated ideology. For McCloughan a COP back is a 245 LB back.

with RBs its dumb to think that bigger is always better but for WR's and DB's i think the more size you have the better. a good example was the CD Webster we had a while back. he was a very good coverage corner but he was too short and people would just jump ball against him.

IMO I think it's good to have a mix of small, quick and big, strong players to match up with almost everyone. You can't cover all the bases but going only in one direction leaves you susceptible to some teams.

that is very true, its good to have a mix but with the WR's that have been coming out lately being over 6'-6'3" and 205-210 with 4.3-4.4 speed i would much rather have people like that at WR, and big fast corners to protect against those kinds of people. WR's are getting bigger and bigger and defenses need to adjust

I have no problem having the big corners for big WR's but most teams always have small slot receivers like Wes Welker. Even though they rarely take it to the house, they kill you on 3 and 6.
Here's a good article on this. Link

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 3, 2010 at 14:01:29 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
With smaller skill position players coming in from spread offenses more than ever, it seems fitting that McCloughan called himself a dinosaur while holding onto an outdated ideology. For McCloughan a COP back is a 245 LB back.

with RBs its dumb to think that bigger is always better but for WR's and DB's i think the more size you have the better. a good example was the CD Webster we had a while back. he was a very good coverage corner but he was too short and people would just jump ball against him.

IMO I think it's good to have a mix of small, quick and big, strong players to match up with almost everyone. You can't cover all the bases but going only in one direction leaves you susceptible to some teams.

that is very true, its good to have a mix but with the WR's that have been coming out lately being over 6'-6'3" and 205-210 with 4.3-4.4 speed i would much rather have people like that at WR, and big fast corners to protect against those kinds of people. WR's are getting bigger and bigger and defenses need to adjust

I have no problem having the big corners for big WR's but most teams always have small slot receivers like Wes Welker. Even though they rarely take it to the house, they kill you on 3 and 6.
Here's a good article on this. Link

Nolan/McCloughan: 4-12, 7-9, 5-11

McCloughan/Nolan-Singletary: 7-9

McCloughan/Singletary: 8-8

Overall: 31-49

Grade: D

No, I don't like his philosophy. He prefers flexibility over pure talent.

Like Atlanta, for instance.
Not really. Take a look at M. Rob. He is a big bruiser for sure, but he is really only useful as a ST player. IMO, he sucks as a RB/FB.