There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Do you agree with McCloughan's "Bigger is Better" draft philosophy?

So I found this part of Scott M.'s drafting philosophy quite interesting especially given the success of "average" or "small" players had this year:

"...But again, I'll never lose sight of this and maybe I'm a dinosaur in this, but it's a big man's game. From the standpoint of holding up through a season durability-wise. But also in the playoffs. You have to have some size and some power and strength I think to be a contender year in and year out."

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/02/mccloughan-bigg.html

So I understand what Scotty is saying, but is it true? When I look at a DeShuan Foster or even a Chris Johnson, those guys torched the league despite their size. Sometimes I think we can be too obsessed with the size of a player and forget about the talent.

So what do you think? Is this a good philosophy to have? What's the deciding factor is how you've compiled your mocks? What have you seen translate from the college to the pros and why do you think that? I thought it was interesting that his mentors both Wolfe and Thompson had many more successful drafts than Scott has had thus far. What is he doing right? What is he doing wrong?

Your thoughts guys - I've not really ever heard you guys talk about how the Niner's GM approaches the draft.
I agree with him on the fact that smaller players break down earlier, and there's always a higher chance of them getting injured if they're too small.

There are, of course, exceptions but I understand where he's coming from. I think if somebody is a little undersized but a completed stud (Joe Haden) he wouldn't pass on him.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
So I found this part of Scott M.'s drafting philosophy quite interesting especially given the success of "average" or "small" players had this year:

"...But again, I'll never lose sight of this and maybe I'm a dinosaur in this, but it's a big man's game. From the standpoint of holding up through a season durability-wise. But also in the playoffs. You have to have some size and some power and strength I think to be a contender year in and year out."

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/02/mccloughan-bigg.html

So I understand what Scotty is saying, but is it true? When I look at a DeShuan Foster or even a Chris Johnson, those guys torched the league despite their size. Sometimes I think we can be too obsessed with the size of a player and forget about the talent.

So what do you think? Is this a good philosophy to have? What's the deciding factor is how you've compiled your mocks? What have you seen translate from the college to the pros and why do you think that? I thought it was interesting that his mentors both Wolfe and Thompson had many more successful drafts than Scott has had thus far. What is he doing right? What is he doing wrong?

Your thoughts guys - I've not really ever heard you guys talk about how the Niner's GM approaches the draft.

For DBs (which is what he was talking about at the time), I agree.

However, recent history has shown us that for skill positions such as WR and RB, size can be overrated.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by NinerGM:

For DBs (which is what he was talking about at the time), I agree.

However, recent history has shown us that for skill positions such as WR and RB, size can be overrated.

Agree
DeShaun Foster eh?
Yup, no reason to draft a DeSean Jackson.
Bad...whatever happened to drafting good players period.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
DeShaun Foster eh?

HA! What a brain fart!!! ROFL!!!

To me I would only use size and other measurables as possible tie breakers.

So if I scout 2 players only using all other type of factors and they basically are a tie on my final grade, then I might use a height or a cone drill time to be the deciding factor. Better than a coin toss.

But I would never try to build a team identity around it
Bigger is better but if you have undersized with speed that has to be one possibility. You can't overlook talented players.
No wonder we need team speed.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Feb 25, 2010 at 18:44:12 ]
Originally posted by danimal:
To me I would only use size and other measurables as possible tie breakers.

So if I scout 2 players only using all other type of factors and they basically are a tie on my final grade, then I might use a height or a cone drill time to be the deciding factor. Better than a coin toss.

But I would never try to build a team identity around it

+1
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
No wonder we need team speed.

Agree
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Disagree with his philosophy, if the boy can play and dominates at his position you take him. You mean to tell me that he'd take a DB who's two inches taller over a guy who's 5'9"-5'10" ball-hawk?? And didn't he go against his philosophy when he drafted Derrick Johnson, Daven Holly and Tarrell Brown (who's closer to 5'10" than he is 5'11")?? Sure he drafted them in the mid to late rounds, but in the end, he'd be forking over a multi-million dollar contract if they did land in the Pro Bowl.
Personally I think you exclude a lot of good player that don't fit into the height/weight ratio. Remember you almost always sacrifice speed and agility for size and strength. What do you think?

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 1, 2010 at 15:48:21 ]