LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Espn Draft Busts and Gems: Niners

• PlayAction
  • Info N/A
Gems: Jesse Sapolu, Tommy Hart, Dwight Clark and Jerry Mertens earned Pro Bowl berths as position players despite being selected between the 239th and 289th overall choices in their draft classes. Charles Haley, Terrell Owens and Joe Montana were chosen between the 82nd and 96th choices.

Busts: Quarterback Alex Smith (2005) and receiver Harry Babcock (1953) are the only players drafted first overall by the 49ers. Smith still has a chance to change his legacy, but so far it's not looking good. The 49ers whiffed on Steve Spurrier with the third overall choice in 1967. Jim Druckenmiller stands out as a memorable first-round disappointment in more recent years.

Niners 2010 Draft = gold or fools gold? I hope the former!!
Alex Smith?!? Whaaaa?!?!!

Don't they remember that awesome game against the Seahawks in 2006? Not to mention that this will only be his 6th season, he's still learning!
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Don't they remember that awesome game against the Seahawks in 2006? Not to mention that this will only be his 6th season, he's still learning!

He's young and has potential. Plus this year he has continuity.

Gotta add JJ Stokes to this list somewhere. One of the few Niners I actually hated.
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Gem: Frank Gore

Bust: Rashaun Woods

Rashaun Woods has to be the biggest bust in recent drafts. The Niners passed up on Wilfork and Tommy Harris to draft this pud.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Rashaun Woods has to be the biggest bust in recent drafts. The Niners passed up on Wilfork and Tommy Harris to draft this pud.

Actually we traded down from 16 because the Bears took Harris at 14. I really thought we'd take Wilfork when he was available.. oh well. Shawn Andrews was available at 16 as well and the Eagles traded up with us to get him. Then we traded our pick again to Carolina(who drafted Chris Gamble) to get Woods. What a joke.

We actually did better with the picks we traded for though. Got Spencer from the philly trade down and Soap from the Carolina trade down. Besides Justin Smiley the only good draft picks were the picks we acquired. thats pretty sad.

Passed up Chris Cooley and Matt Schaub for Derrick Hamilton in the third round.

Hindsight is 20/20 i guess but the 2004 draft class was horrible. At least we still have Spencer and Soap.
All time busts, that's a terrible list
there are a ton of bigger busts in the niners history
Recent gems: Heitmann. Any starter taken in the 6th can't be bad
Gem= Gore 3rd rounder!!!!!!

Still learning in his 6th season hmmmmmmmmmm somithing is terribly wrong with this statement!
What happened to Jim Druckenmiller??....I didn't really follow the team then like i do now.
Originally posted by solidg2000:

+1

Reggie McGrew has gotta show up on this list somewhere
Originally posted by evolution8888:

+1

I hear the literal Cajun translation of Reggie McGrew is "useless vagina".
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by evolution8888:

+1

I hear the literal Cajun translation of Reggie McGrew is "useless vagina".

Sweet, I have a new nickname for my ex girlfriend...
Share 49ersWebzone