There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Consequences of Drafting Spiller

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Playmakers are playmakers. Adding Spiller would really help this team. I just don't think he'll be on the board at 13.

When I look at the top 12 I just dont see a team that will draft Spiller. Seattle isnt going to take him at 6. That is way too high for a team that needs a QB and an OT in the worst way. You mentioned Denver but I would be shocked to see that given the fact that they took Moreno last year.

I believe the only way Spiller goes before #13 is if a team like Miami moves down and a team with a RB need moves up. What is actually more likely now is that the Niners will not have one of the top 4 OTs to choose from. Mayock thinks they all could be gone by pick 9.

Barring a trade he'll be there at 13.
I can see Miami taking Spiller. Williams said this upcoming year is gonna be his last, Ronnie Brown coming of an injury.

I can see it happening
Spiller>MRob, Battle, Coffee combined!

Spurlock is no longer on this team. We cut him during the season without giving him an opportunity to return kicks
I"m convinced...we take Spiller at 13
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Spiller>MRob, Battle, Coffee combined!

Spurlock is no longer on this team. We cut him during the season without giving him an opportunity to return kicks

I know Spurlock isn't on the team anymore. I was just using him as an example of how to waste a roster spot while cutting your best return man.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
There are no consequences to drafting Spiller, only benefits.Gore benefits from less attrition and when both are on the field, less 8 in the box,run blitzes, plug the middle types of defenses.The OL would benefit similarly,because Spiller requires the defense to take out a LB. and put a safety or nickel back on him.A.smith benefits by having a safety valve outlet that is sure handed and one missed tackle ,one bad angle ,one missed assignment , pay dirt.Not to mention,better field position,and momentum from a special teams play.
Robinson is expendable. He's not the ST stud that he's made out to be. He's probably valuable as a leader, but he's getting out played by McKillop, Hudson and Delanie.

John Wendling is one of the best ST players in the league and the Bills just cut him. As 49er fans, we over-value Robinson because he went to the Pro Bowl (popularity contest) and because he's very personable.
Originally posted by strickac:
Robinson is expendable. He's not the ST stud that he's made out to be. He's probably valuable as a leader, but he's getting out played by McKillop, Hudson and Delanie.

John Wendling is one of the best ST players in the league and the Bills just cut him. As 49er fans, we over-value Robinson because he went to the Pro Bowl (popularity contest) and because he's very personable.

ya being a alternate pro bowl selection for special team is not good at all
Originally posted by TX9R:
Playmakers are playmakers. Adding Spiller would really help this team. I just don't think he'll be on the board at 13.

When I look at the top 12 I just dont see a team that will draft Spiller. Seattle isnt going to take him at 6. That is way too high for a team that needs a QB and an OT in the worst way. You mentioned Denver but I would be shocked to see that given the fact that they took Moreno last year.

I believe the only way Spiller goes before #13 is if a team like Miami moves down and a team with a RB need moves up. What is actually more likely now is that the Niners will not have one of the top 4 OTs to choose from. Mayock thinks they all could be gone by pick 9.

Barring a trade he'll be there at 13.

If there is a run on OT's early, Spiller could be available. But otherwise, I feel that he could be gone before our pick... Especially if he blows up during the combine.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by strickac:

ya being a alternate pro bowl selection for special team is not good at all

It's a popularity contest. Thinking back to last season, do you really remember Robinson making any plays? Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic.

I think I recall one big return of 50ish yards. That's it.

Spiller is not going to start over Gore and is he going to be the 3 WR???? If they think he can be the 3WR and play RB 5 to 8 time a game plus KR/PR then I could see them drafting him. But will Sig and Ray go to a 3 WR set??? I don't think so. How many times where they in 3 WR last yr??? they liked 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB when they went to the shootgun/ spred.. Yes they did go 3 WR sometimes. I don't see them drafting spiller because I don't think they will use him. I don't think they will draft a player to do KR/ PR and 5 here and there at pick 13.
It's possible Miami takes Spiller, but given their defense slipped quite a bit last year, and they brought in Nolan to fix it, I'm thinking they take one of the top defensive players. They're playing the 3-4, so a top DL, CB, or even a pass rusher's possible. You know how Nolan likes to blitz when he gets guys who can do it, and Porter's not the player he was and isn't getting any younger. Anything's possible in drafts, though...just when you think you have things somewhat figured out, a team will throw a curve and everything gets screwy. If we don't get Spiller, I hope it's Haden. He's just too good to pass up. Or, we might just take best OT on the board at #13, particularly if they start flying off the board early. I think that's no. 1 for Singletary...then BPA at #16/17, which could be CB, DL, RB, who knows.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
There are a lot of questions/consequences with drafting Spiller...

If we draft him over an OT, then how big a drop in talent will there be to the next OT?

Do we really have the O-line to run the majority of the time at teams when they know a run is coming? (We have one of the worst O-lines if not THE worst)

Why are we drafting another top running back when we're trying to use the spread offense? It just seems like we would want to be able to show we can throw the ball first before we go and draft another RB.

Can Spiller be a good enough nfl receiver to have him and Gore both on the field at the same time?

So I guess the worst case consequences are we could get a really talented RB that can't do too much behind our terrible O-line because we missed the OT that we wanted so we still can't throw the ball, and our offensive continues to have no identity.
Originally posted by dlance:
Spiller is not going to start over Gore and is he going to be the 3 WR???? If they think he can be the 3WR and play RB 5 to 8 time a game plus KR/PR then I could see them drafting him. But will Sig and Ray go to a 3 WR set??? I don't think so. How many times where they in 3 WR last yr??? they liked 2 WR 2 TE 1 RB when they went to the shootgun/ spred.. Yes they did go 3 WR sometimes. I don't see them drafting spiller because I don't think they will use him. I don't think they will draft a player to do KR/ PR and 5 here and there at pick 13.

i think they do take him and we will be in multi reciever sets a lot next season. it doesnt matter what they are labeled as. we actually have more potent threats if we get Spiller. even in a 2 back 1TE 2 WR set we have 5 very capable recievers on the field not to mention either RB has break away potential. Spiller and Gore are good blockers, receivers and runners. the main thing our team needs is speed, and that is exactly what spiller brings to our team. we can use him everywhere on offense and he instantly solves our return issues as well. at 13 if hes there i would be shocked if we pass on him