LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Worst Draft Pick Ever

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

This. Strong as a linebacker, but unfortunately played QB like one too. JJ Stokes might be 2nd simply because of what we gave up to get a very average wideout.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by smileyman:

I know who i'd say was the worst draft pick ever. But not trying to hijack the thread plus the comments i'd receive wouldn't look at the whole picture so why bother.

I'd say this is a topic that's perfect for it.

Who do you think is the worst draft pick in the 49ers history?

Let's just say a guy who essentially cost us the #15 pick, the 37th pick and the 68th pick.

That's right one guy we drafted was basically a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. But no one wants to see it like that!

Because i'm going to bed. I'll explain 1 more time and 1 time only. Denver wanted our #6 pick. They offered their #15 and #22 pick. We declined and countered with our #37 and #68 for the #22.

So instead of the #15, #22 (Manny Lawson), #37 and #68. We ended up with Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson.

Which means Davis essentially cost us the #15, #37 & #68. a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. All for a TE.

I know I will hear this and that for saying this. But it's the truth. Assuming the rumors that Denver did offer this is true. Which we can't deny or confirm. But the rumors were there.

You can spin it all you want. But a TE is not worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

They kept the pick for the pick, not because they had already chosen Davis and liked him so much that they refused the deal
. I am sure, as there is proof, that this is the case. They had denied Denvers rumored proposal because they didn't like the value, which had NOTHING to do with Vernon Davis.

You are now slipping off the deep end in your hate for Davis Kriz. Seriously dude, this is getting unhealthy at this point. Let it go man.....

I know who i'd say was the worst draft pick ever. But not trying to hijack the thread plus the comments i'd receive wouldn't look at the whole picture so why bother.

Let's just say a guy who essentially cost us the #15 pick, the 37th pick and the 68th pick.

That's right one guy we drafted was basically a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. But no one wants to see it like that!

Because i'm going to bed. I'll explain 1 more time and 1 time only. Denver wanted our #6 pick. They offered their #15 and #22 pick. We declined and countered with our #37 and #68 for the #22.

So instead of the #15, #22 (Manny Lawson), #37 and #68. We ended up with Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson.

Which means Davis essentially cost us the #15, #37 & #68. a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. All for a TE.

I know I will hear this and that for saying this. But it's the truth. Assuming the rumors that Denver did offer this is true. Which we can't deny or confirm. But the rumors were there.

You can spin it all you want. But a TE is not worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

Wait... you realize that we traded the #37 and #68 picks for Manny Lawson - right? They had nothing to do with Vernon Davis.

We supposedly could have traded Vernon for #15 and #22.

Instead we traded #37 and #68 for Manny Lawson.

Even with your hypothetical situation, if you look at the "WHOLE PICTURE" (something you encourage everyone else to do) Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson "cost" us two picks a piece.

Yet even when you put it that way - it's really just SPIN.

The reality is, Davis cost us the #6 pick in the draft. Lawson cost us the #37 and #68 picks in the draft. That's the whole picture.
Originally posted by wadjay:

Wait... you realize that we traded the #37 and #68 picks for Manny Lawson - right? They had nothing to do with Vernon Davis.

We supposedly could have traded Vernon for #15 and #22.

Instead we traded #37 and #68 for Manny Lawson.

Even with your hypothetical situation, if you look at the "WHOLE PICTURE" (something you encourage everyone else to do) Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson "cost" us two picks a piece.

Yet even when you put it that way - it's really just SPIN.

The reality is, Davis cost us the #6 pick in the draft. Lawson cost us the #37 and #68 picks in the draft. That's the whole picture.

Lawson and Davis didn't cost us ANYTHING. The Bronco's didn't call and ask for the rights to Davis, they wanted the pick used to get Davis.

Spinning it in your mind that somehow Vernon Davis is the reason we didn't get this pick or that pick is mental instability time, as he had NOTHING to do with the equation at the time that particula trade/deal was presented. These deals were negotiated weeks, if not months, before the draft.

[ Edited by WINiner on Feb 25, 2010 at 08:45:27 ]
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
I am going to with R. Woods. That guy didn't really even see the field to suck. He was a bust immediately.

Right, instead of picking Vince Wilfork.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Druck and Rumph. How is it that that Miami team, so loaded which produced so many pro bowl players, do we end up with the one guy who didn't pan out and later the other in Dorsey? We could have picked almost anyone else from that team and been fine.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

I can see why you'd think that way. The real question though is this--who was there at #15 that we would've wanted instead?

Does that really matter? let us trade the #13 and #16/17 for Eric Berry. Then trade our 2nd and 3rd round pick to move back into the 1st for an OT. Or trade a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks for ANY PLAYER in the league (both scenarios same as the Vernon scenario) . And see how many posters s**t frisbees!

Jesus F*cking Christ!

Those hypothetical situations are not the same as the Vernon scenario!! How does this logic make sense to you?

Whether or not the Broncos wanted to trade with us doesn't matter, because it didn't happen, and we don't even know if it's true. We were 4-12, giving us the 6th pick in the draft. We spent that pick on Vernon.

He cost us a single pick. All this bulls**t about "We spent 3 picks on Vernon" is so f**king retarded and makes absolutely no sense.

F*CK!!!

Krizay is saying IF the Broncos actually offered those picks. It's called opportunity cost or rather "what we could've had with the same resources/pick", its an implicit cost in every decision we make. Yes, with opportunity cost in mind that was a BAD pick (even without the hindsight of what player to draft). Vernon was barely a top 25 talent before the combine.

[ Edited by 49oz2superbowl on Feb 25, 2010 at 08:56:00 ]
My vote goes to Rashaun Woods. That guy was a complete bust. JJ Stokes is a close second. We gave up too much to move up and draft him in my opinion.

Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:

I can see why you'd think that way. The real question though is this--who was there at #15 that we would've wanted instead?

Does that really matter? let us trade the #13 and #16/17 for Eric Berry. Then trade our 2nd and 3rd round pick to move back into the 1st for an OT. Or trade a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks for ANY PLAYER in the league (both scenarios same as the Vernon scenario) . And see how many posters s**t frisbees!

Jesus F*cking Christ!

Those hypothetical situations are not the same as the Vernon scenario!! How does this logic make sense to you?

Whether or not the Broncos wanted to trade with us doesn't matter, because it didn't happen, and we don't even know if it's true. We were 4-12, giving us the 6th pick in the draft. We spent that pick on Vernon.

He cost us a single pick. All this bulls**t about "We spent 3 picks on Vernon" is so f**king retarded and makes absolutely no sense.

F*CK!!!

Krizay is saying IF the Broncos actually offered those picks. It's called opportunity cost or rather "what we could've had with the same resources/pick", its an implicit cost in every decision we make. Yes, with opportunity cost in mind that was a BAD pick (even without the hindsight of what player to draft). Vernon was barely a top 25 talent before the combine.

Vernon was being talked about in the early 1st months before the season even ended. Get your facts staraight.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Jesus F*cking Christ!

F*CK!!!

Vernon was being talked about in the early 1st months before the season even ended. Get your facts staraight.

Vernon Davis was always a top 10 pick (lowest I remember seeing him is 12)
The Denver draft rumor came out weeks and weeks before the draft. So you know for dam sure it wasn't true. If a team really did want to do the trade then it wouldn't of come out until draft day.

I still don't see how Vernon Davis cost us 3 picks. I can see an argument for both VD and Manny potentially costing u two picks but even that's a streatch
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:

Jesus F*cking Christ!

F*CK!!!

Vernon Davis was always a top 10 pick (lowest I remember seeing him is 12)
The Denver draft rumor came out weeks and weeks before the draft. So you know for dam sure it wasn't true. If a team really did want to do the trade then it wouldn't of come out until draft day.

I still don't see how Vernon Davis cost us 3 picks. I can see an argument for both VD and Manny potentially costing u two picks but even that's a streatch

If that was true then we wouldn't have made the trade with them 3 or 4 days prior to the draft then!
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Jesus F*cking Christ!

F*CK!!!

come on now! This WHOLE BOARD was saying if we trade down to late teens early 20's they wanted him. Then he runs a 4.38 and boom!
Drunkonmiller...

We could have had Jake Plummer.
Share 49ersWebzone