There are 84 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why we Take Cox and Not Spiller

I certainly hope we don't take Cox, I know I don't
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Walsh:

2. Spiller will return kicks and sit behind Gore. Cox will return kicks and start over Roman.

Clements, Spencer, Brown and possibly Bly or Harris could all be sitting in front of Cox on the depth chart at corner. Spiller would probably get more snaps in a game than Cox would unless PC can prove to beat out one of the aforementioned other CB's.

Weak argument for taking PC or CJS.

We lost so many games because of fumbled KR's/PR's and bad field position, so even if Spiller splits the carries with Gore he'd still be a force in returning kicks plus Gore is getting older and when he goes down it seems our whole offense is out of sync, with Spiller replacing him it would not be a huge drop off like when Coffee filled in

We can't be sure that with Spiller in for Gore the drop off would not be huge. At the end of the day Spiller is still unproven and he would not have fared much better in all likelihood than Coffee did last year. The playcalling was terrible and predictable with Gore out (Go back and watch the Minnesota game ).

Coffee did not get enough chances when the playcalling was decent (which was only at times and usually in the first half after Smith took over). It seemed in the 2nd half we always went back to f**king Raye-ball which was painful to watch.

We need to add a returner, be it in the 1st, 2nd, 4th or 6th. Don't care as long as that player has a good track record as a returner. Field position is essential and we need a spark plug to our return game.

The problem with Coffee is he brings nothing to the table that we didn't already have. He's a poor man's version of Gore, and most of the time when you have split backs you want guys that compliment that each other not do the exact same thing.

The way I evuluate Coffee is he's a suitable backup if Gore gets hurt, but he's not going to see the field too much otherwise. Spiller is an actual change of pace back, and should thrive when we to go in that Shotgun spread offense.

Exactly. I think that is why people like the prospect of Kory Sheets more than Coffee last year. To be honest, I think McLoughan took Coffee to have him learn behind Gore so that when Gore's time is done, Coffee will give the Niners offense a similar type of back. Spiller and Gore would be a lot like Tomlinson and Sproles. Sign me up.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Walsh:

2. Spiller will return kicks and sit behind Gore. Cox will return kicks and start over Roman.

Clements, Spencer, Brown and possibly Bly or Harris could all be sitting in front of Cox on the depth chart at corner. Spiller would probably get more snaps in a game than Cox would unless PC can prove to beat out one of the aforementioned other CB's.

Weak argument for taking PC or CJS.

We lost so many games because of fumbled KR's/PR's and bad field position, so even if Spiller splits the carries with Gore he'd still be a force in returning kicks plus Gore is getting older and when he goes down it seems our whole offense is out of sync, with Spiller replacing him it would not be a huge drop off like when Coffee filled in

We can't be sure that with Spiller in for Gore the drop off would not be huge. At the end of the day Spiller is still unproven and he would not have fared much better in all likelihood than Coffee did last year. The playcalling was terrible and predictable with Gore out (Go back and watch the Minnesota game ).

Coffee did not get enough chances when the playcalling was decent (which was only at times and usually in the first half after Smith took over). It seemed in the 2nd half we always went back to f**king Raye-ball which was painful to watch.

We need to add a returner, be it in the 1st, 2nd, 4th or 6th. Don't care as long as that player has a good track record as a returner. Field position is essential and we need a spark plug to our return game.

The problem with Coffee is he brings nothing to the table that we didn't already have. He's a poor man's version of Gore, and most of the time when you have split backs you want guys that compliment that each other not do the exact same thing.

The way I evuluate Coffee is he's a suitable backup if Gore gets hurt, but he's not going to see the field too much otherwise. Spiller is an actual change of pace back, and should thrive when we to go in that Shotgun spread offense.

Coffee is a poor mans Kevan Barlow
draft them both.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
draft them both.

Yep!
We need a fast runningback that can change a game with a single run/catch or by returning a punt or kick.
We also need a young fast cornerback that will give us tremendous depth and that we could develop into a starter. Also will give us another dynamic return man.
Yeah, Spiller, Williams, Cox and Mike Johnson would be my perfect draft
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
draft them both.

Yep!
We need a fast runningback that can change a game with a single run/catch or by returning a punt or kick.
We also need a young fast cornerback that will give us tremendous depth and that we could develop into a starter. Also will give us another dynamic return man.

Agree. We need as many dynamic returners on this team as we can get.
I would still take Spiller over Cox
Originally posted by TX9R:
You take Cox

that make me laugh my dinner out of my nose...
Originally posted by cupcheck:
spiller will force a defense to respect his speed on the edge,cover him with a CB,so oppositions will need to play in a nickel . eliminating 8 men in the box,giving gore more room to run,reducing the ability to run blitz,making the OL job much easier.Spiller gives a.smith another good pair of hands to catch screen,swing,wheel and passes in the flat,any one of which he could score on.No nickel back/CB can cause so much anxiety for a defense,or benefit our offense simply by being on the field.

How about both?
I like Cox...as maybe a 2nd round pick. But, we need Spiller...not just for his KR abilities, but he's a HR hitter who can take it to the house as a runner or a receiver. He'd present a real challenge to opposing defenses...a guy they'd have to account for like Harvin does for the Vikes, Sproles does for the 'Bolts. CB's returning kicks in college is one thing...it's a totally different issue in the NFL. Some have done it over the years, but it's not something most coach's are willing to do. RB's are better suited to take the big hits...because they're battle tested. There are always exceptions...but as a rule, you're better off not having CB's take the big hits.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Walsh:

2. Spiller will return kicks and sit behind Gore. Cox will return kicks and start over Roman.

Clements, Spencer, Brown and possibly Bly or Harris could all be sitting in front of Cox on the depth chart at corner. Spiller would probably get more snaps in a game than Cox would unless PC can prove to beat out one of the aforementioned other CB's.

Weak argument for taking PC or CJS.

We lost so many games because of fumbled KR's/PR's and bad field position, so even if Spiller splits the carries with Gore he'd still be a force in returning kicks plus Gore is getting older and when he goes down it seems our whole offense is out of sync, with Spiller replacing him it would not be a huge drop off like when Coffee filled in


Vote Spiller!!

easy choice...

as others have stated:

1. Speed kills - KR/PR, RB, WR, CJ Siller can go the distance at any time. Swing passes, screens, wheel routes; a definite change of pace from Gore. Use P. Harvin as model and get the ball in CJ's hands.
2. Counting on re-signing atleast one of our DBs, Cox will have an uphill battle to even get on the field, let alone make an impact.
3. WE NEED EXPLOSIVE PLAYERS. Game-changers. I'm all for using our 2nd #1 to upgrade the OL, even if that is Iupati at Guard. #13 needs to be the top prospect at his position and have Pro-Bowl potential.
(Berry, Haden, Morgan, McClain, Spiller, Bryant, ect.)
4. If the 49ers cannot get Berry or Haden, which is very likely, they should wait until the 3rd or later, if there is a DB they like. Keep the KR/PR duties on the offensive side of the ball. Have Defensive Backs concentrate on Defense.



the tougher decision is really BERRY/HADEN vs SPILLER
(no one thought Crabtree would fall)
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I like Cox...as maybe a 2nd round pick. But, we need Spiller...not just for his KR abilities, but he's a HR hitter who can take it to the house as a runner or a receiver. He'd present a real challenge to opposing defenses...a guy they'd have to account for like Harvin does for the Vikes, Sproles does for the 'Bolts. CB's returning kicks in college is one thing...it's a totally different issue in the NFL. Some have done it over the years, but it's not something most coach's are willing to do. RB's are better suited to take the big hits...because they're battle tested. There are always exceptions...but as a rule, you're better off not having CB's take the big hits.

Had my Reply open for a while before I posted.

Similar thinking!
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 294
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Walsh:

2. Spiller will return kicks and sit behind Gore. Cox will return kicks and start over Roman.

Clements, Spencer, Brown and possibly Bly or Harris could all be sitting in front of Cox on the depth chart at corner. Spiller would probably get more snaps in a game than Cox would unless PC can prove to beat out one of the aforementioned other CB's.

Weak argument for taking PC or CJS.

I gotta disagree. We have a weak pass defense, ranked in the bottom third last year. We need more quality DB's cuz the guys we have are mediocre. We don't know if Bly is returning. Clements is getting more expensive wtih every year and Harris is nothing exceptional.

Spiller probably would get more playing time than Cox but would he get more playing time than the other #1 that we would select in his place? If we took a RT and then Iupati, then I guarantee those guys are guna see more playing time than Spiller.