There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Way Overrated OT Class

Originally posted by 49er4life:
In the last several years OT's have become the hottest trend to take in the top 20. OT's tend to be a safer pick than skill positions, because in many cases if they do not pan out as OT's they can be converted to guards.

This being said, while part of me would love to see Spiller in a 49ers uniform ( or Haden but he wont be there) the best thing for this team would be to take our top rated OT at 13 and then Iupati at 17.

It all starts in the trenches, and this would be a draft that we would look back on in 3 years as the draft that changed our teams future...

I'm not an advocate of taking two OT's in the first. This draft is pretty deep and if we can get Spiller at #13 nd an OT at #16 I would be overjoyed. We can always pickup a guard in the second or 3rd round. Who knows maybe Rachal can fix his problems in the offseason or we pickup a guard in free agency.

We also still need a safety so we can finally get rid of Roman and if the #13 pick is not spiller a KR/PR later in the draft.

I agree that it all starts in the trenches but I think we need to use both free agency and the draft to get the OL that we need.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by noobie:
You call ALL the OT overrated yet you want a 370 pound tub of lard that's only going to play 50% of the snaps. A guy that doesn't get sacks, pressures, or even tackles in the 2nd?

Oh......SNAP! Slapped in the face by a noob.

You said exactley what i was thinking! First of all, i do believe that some of the OTs are overated, however Okung and Williams (watch game tape from last year, DOMINANT on the right side) are both extremly legit. As well, even if people are rushing to pick OTs and reaching, that doesn't mean we should just not pick an OT. I mean if the top 5 OTs are gone by our pick (doubt) we can always pick ducasse in round 2 and ciron black or jason fox in round 3/4.

My first choice would still be Williams at 13 and ducasse in round 2, and devote the other picks to DBs (donnovan Warren at 17, Reshad Jones in round 3) and then back to OT with Fox in round 4!
Dont worry eye wont!!!!
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
You call ALL the OT overrated yet you want a 370 pound tub of lard that's only going to play 50% of the snaps. A guy that doesn't get sacks, pressures, or even tackles in the 2nd?

You said exactley what i was thinking! First of all, i do believe that some of the OTs are overated, however Okung and Williams (watch game tape from last year, DOMINANT on the right side) are both extremly legit. As well, even if people are rushing to pick OTs and reaching, that doesn't mean we should just not pick an OT. I mean if the top 5 OTs are gone by our pick (doubt) we can always pick ducasse in round 2 and ciron black or jason fox in round 3/4.

My first choice would still be Williams at 13 and ducasse in round 2, and devote the other picks to DBs (donnovan Warren at 17, Reshad Jones in round 3) and then back to OT with Fox in round 4!

Sorry, but Williams at #13 looks a little bit high, Warren at #17 is a reach, Ducasse is really raw and needs some time to develop and nobody of those guys helps our return game.
Originally posted by stever:

Sorry, but Williams at #13 looks a little bit high, Warren at #17 is a reach, Ducasse is really raw and needs some time to develop and nobody of those guys helps our return game.

Did you watch Williams on the Right Side??? Dominant!! This year he moved to left and proved that it is not like someone can just switch sides and keep up the same production. Although he is a reach (agreed) we NEED to solidify our O-line as well as improve our pass defense. Crabs and morgan will only get better, and with an improved O-line, Alex will have more time and improve even more. It will also help our already good run game.

On the other end, we had one of the best rush defenses, yet one of the worst pass defeses. As the league as a whole moves towards a more pass oriented game (just look at the SB), we need to improve our DBs as we have glaring holes at SS with lewis's concussions.

We can always find some one to impove our retunr game in later rounds such as LeRoy Vann, who has returned 11 punts/kicks for touchdowns!

I also like Brandon Graham to improve our mediocre pass rush.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Both Williams and Bulaga should make it to 16/17. It's best to take BPA at 13 then get our choice of Trent or Bryan at 16/17.
Originally posted by mayo63:

Both Williams and Bulaga should make it to 16/17. It's best to take BPA at 13 then get our choice of Trent or Bryan at 16/17.

I totally agree.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Hopefully it wont be a draft reach BUST future which sets them back another six years. Dont get me wrong they must address the line but I dont whant them to pass on a possible superstar just to have an adiquit rt or guard. If rolando Mclain is there and he is rated higher or another player they better be wearing the red and gold or it will set this team back.

Just thought I'd help you out with some spelling.

It's spelled necessarily and not nesicerily.
It's spelled opposite and not oppisite
It's spelled adequate and not adiquit

No need to thank me.

whats your problem? he is not writing a thesis for a phd, its just a football forum. you need to relax

Exactly what i would like the niners to da
Originally posted by E-49er:
In the last several years OT's have become the hottest trend to take in the top 20. OT's tend to be a safer pick than skill positions, because in many cases if they do not pan out as OT's they can be converted to guards.

This being said, while part of me would love to see Spiller in a 49ers uniform ( or Haden but he wont be there) the best thing for this team would be to take our top rated OT at 13 and then Iupati at 17.

It all starts in the trenches, and this would be a draft that we would look back on in 3 years as the draft that changed our teams future...

I'm not an advocate of taking two OT's in the first. This draft is pretty deep and if we can get Spiller at #13 nd an OT at #16 I would be overjoyed. We can always pickup a guard in the second or 3rd round. Who knows maybe Rachal can fix his problems in the offseason or we pickup a guard in free agency.

We also still need a safety so we can finally get rid of Roman and if the #13 pick is not spiller a KR/PR later in the draft.

I agree that it all starts in the trenches but I think we need to use both free agency and the draft to get the OL that we need.

I am not an advocate of taking two OT's either... I am an advocate of taking our top rated OT and Iupati who is a guard.

If we take Spiller I will not be disappointed at all, but we will still have problems with our O-line which will continue to be our downfall.

I am not an advocate of taking two OT's either... I am an advocate of taking our top rated OT and Iupati who is a guard.

If we take Spiller I will not be disappointed at all, but we will still have problems with our O-line which will continue to be our downfall.

exactly all dominant teams have an elite o line that gives the QB more than 3 sec not all elite teams have a homerun threat
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

If we came away with an OT and Iupati I would cream my pants.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Hopefully it wont be a draft reach BUST future which sets them back another six years. Dont get me wrong they must address the line but I dont whant them to pass on a possible superstar just to have an adiquit rt or guard. If rolando Mclain is there and he is rated higher or another player they better be wearing the red and gold or it will set this team back.

No need to thank me.

whats your problem? he is not writing a thesis for a phd, its just a football forum. you need to relax

I have no problem whatsoever. I was helping him out on his spelling and didnt call him names or criticize him. Perhaps you need to relax.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:

No need to thank me.

Ph.D.

Exactly what i would like the niners to da

Spiller & Williams would be a very nice 1st round