There are 253 users in the forums

MAYOCK is HIGH on EARL THOMAS

• Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Thomas will make some team very happy, I just don't think it will be the 49ers.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by 9erHIGH:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

From an old Q&A with Scot :

Quote:
YOU MENTIONED YOUR PHILOSOPHYY ON PLAYERS, WHAT IS IT EXACTLY?:

I will give away a little on the height, weight and speed for a consistent player. I think it's important to be mentally and physically tough. You got to let them understand that it's a team game, not an individual game, that the only way we are going to be good is as a group.

look at those words carefully... e.thomas gives away A LOT on both height AND weight. many also question his toughness which is another "knock." he doesnt play like the also undersized b.sanders, that's for sure.

Sanders plays SS not FS.

Louis Delmas, Eric Weddle & Reggie Nelson are all under 6 feet tall and around 200 LBs each, give or take a few pounds. So being under 6 feet and about 200 pounds should not take away too much from Thomas, and on tape he shows up and is fairly consistent. I think he'll have a 1st round grade on him by us but how high that grade is IDK. Possibly 15-20 range, possibly 20-30 range who knows but he remains a possibility IMHO.

i only referrenced sanders because of the toughness/physicality factor which scot cited in your quote.
delmas, weddle and nelson are all completely irrelevant as none of them were drafted by scot,
let alone by scot in the top half of the 1st round.

my only point here is that the quote you used to from scot to back up your point, IMO does not do just that.
i believe that when you read it carefully and look at scot's past drafts it becomes
more and more unlikely for one to believe he would draft earl thomas.

whether or not thomas will get drafted top10 or top20 is not something i am trying to discuss,
just that i dont believe scot would be the one to do it.
I just saw Mayocks top 20 board and he has Earl Thomas ranked higher than Eric Berry...discuss?
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
If that's tue then its madness.
started to see a few people question Berry as the top Safety (mainly on NFL total access).

If this is true, hopefully this movement will pick up pace and move him down draftboards to us!

Though I very much doubt this happens
yay thats good lets spread this around tell every one that thomas is better than berry and matbe he will fall to us
Originally posted by Kelv:
If that's true then its madness.
Berry with 13 and Spiller with 17, then Bulaga slips to us in the 2nd round because of his short arms?

Ok....I will put my pipe down.

[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Feb 26, 2010 at 07:07:20 ]
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Berry with 13 and Spiller with 17, then Bulaga slips to us in the 2nd round because of his short arms?

Ok....I will put my pipe down.

No pass it pass it
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
If you read his reasoning it's based on the NFL being a more pass heavy league and while Berry is better all around, Thomas is more a ball hawk and better in coverage. He thinks with less teams emphasizing the run Thomas' shortcomings there are outweighed by his ability in the passing game.

The more time we have, the more people begin to overanalyze these players. That said, Mayock is one of the better draft analysts out there, so maybe he's on to something, but I would prefer Berry.
Well that is just stupidity on Mayock's part.
Originally posted by LottsZombiePinky:

hey man mayock knows his s**t. yeah its crazy but other than thomas' size dude can be a terror at fs plus he proved he can be durable in college but as we all know college and the nfl is a different matter.

Mayock just wants some attention. He's not the God people make him to be either.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Mayock just wants some attention. He's not the God people make him to be either.

He doesn't strike me as that type, just offers a no nonsense opinion. People said this when he rated McCoy over Suh, but then many draftniks changed their mocks right after. I realize people are high on Berry because he had the hype going in to this season, but if you watched Thomas every week he really stood out and made plays. Not saying I think he's better, but I don't think Berry is far and away so much better.
Share 49ersWebzone