There are 294 users in the forums

Isn't it really all about the second round this year?!

I remember a couple of years back when we drafted Kentwan Balmer, SO many players dropped into the second. Mostly wide receivers like malcolm kelly, devin thomas and of course desean jackson.

I feel like this draft isn't a SUPER STAR draft, but a quality draft with A LOT of depth. of course this is all precombine and a lot of things change after the combine and wonderlic, etc etc. but from looking at mock drafts it looks like there could be a LOT of talent to be had in the second and third rounds doesn't it?

Some of the guys that could fall into the second and possibly third are: Jahvid best, brandon spikes, dexter mccluster, terrence cody, chad jones, sergio kindle, etc etc etc.

I think we should definitely consider trading away one of our first rounders for two second rounders and possibly get another 4th or 5th round pick with it. This would mean that we could get two or three quality players compared to one and pay them all less. I know it sounds extreme, but I wouldn't even mind trading away BOTH of our first round picks and having FIVE 2nd round picks... maybe i'm getting carried away though haha.

I think best case scenario is we take an OT in the first round and with three 2nd round picks take something like a combination of jahvid best, sergio kindle and chad jones. I mean wouldn't you prefer

Anthony Davis, Jahvid Best, Sergio Kindle and Chad Jones (for example)

over,

Anthony Davis, Rolando McClain, Chad Jones (also for example) ???

I'm just thinking back to late picks we've had in the past where we take players who would normally have been 1st or 2nd round talents and have dropped because of injuries or character issues etc. ie. josh morgan, tarrell brown, parys haralson. If you can get first round talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, TAKE IT. people are bound to drop in this draft no matter what. We should position ourselves to take advantage of that.
There is going to be alot of very good talent available in the 2nd round for sure. I really think we have to get a starter out of the 2nd round.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Good luck finding a team willing to trade away 2 2nd round picks. 2nd round picks are underpaid (compared to first rounders), and every team values those 2nd round picks highly.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I don't wanna trade back at all, the salaries for guys like the 13th overall and 16/17th are more than reasonable. Plus they are more likely to be better players.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I don't wanna trade back at all, the salaries for guys like the 13th overall and 16/17th are more than reasonable. Plus they are more likely to be better players.
but it is possible...what if we have to reach at 16/17 because even the bpa isnt worth that pick???
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Actually every year the 2nd round is deep with talent. Talent that either was projected to be in the 1st or talent that rose their in the off-season. This is the year to trade up, IMO, no not with our two 1st round picks or in the top 10, but back into the 1st round or the top of the 2nd. If we played it right we could come away with either:

1a, 1b, 1c

or

1a, 1b, 2a, 2b

Would absolutely love it, if either one happened.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Actually every year the 2nd round is deep with talent. Talent that either was projected to be in the 1st or talent that rose their in the off-season. This is the year to trade up, IMO, no not with our two 1st round picks or in the top 10, but back into the 1st round or the top of the 2nd. If we played it right we could come away with either:

1a, 1b, 1c

or

1a, 1b, 2a, 2b

Me to, wouldn't it be fabulous to come away with Bulaga, Spiller, Graham? Then pick up a SS and a CB in the rest of the draft. We would have cared for all of the major points in our draft needs.

1a, 1b, 1c

or

1a, 1b, 2a, 2b

I agree. I have posted in a few other threads that if we packaged our 2nd and 3rd rounders, worth 600 according to the draft value chart. That would be equal in value to #31 overall. If we had 3 picks in the first we could really load up with 3 impact starters.
I'm absolutely on board with the idea of trading back from 16/17 to the mid-20s and picking up a 2nd round pick in exchange.

If we don't draft an RT with #13 (which we shouldn't, IMO), we can still get a quality RT at #25 or #26 that we could at #17, and likely even the same one. Having five picks in the first three rounds could allow us to do something like:

Spiller
Campbell
Ducasse
Hughes
Jones

Needs met:
CoB back
Returner
Huge upgrade to OL
Pass-rusher
Secondary
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
but it is possible...what if we have to reach at 16/17 because even the bpa isnt worth that pick???

If we can pull off a reasonable trade then yeah i agree with trading back but i still want some impact players right now

Originally posted by sspiker:
I'm absolutely on board with the idea of trading back from 16/17 to the mid-20s and picking up a 2nd round pick in exchange.

If we don't draft an RT with #13 (which we shouldn't, IMO), we can still get a quality RT at #25 or #26 that we could at #17, and likely even the same one. Having five picks in the first three rounds could allow us to do something like:

Spiller
Campbell
Ducasse
Hughes
Jones

Needs met:
CoB back
Returner
Huge upgrade to OL
Pass-rusher
Secondary
I dont agree. I see the right tackles this year being highly regarded, and possibly seeing five to six (with Iupati) off the board in the first 20 picks. Charles Brown should be available but I think theres a big drop in NFL ready talent after him.

With our oline blocking schemes, Iupati would be an excellent pick near the 20-22 range. Right tackle should then be addressed with f*gency, because we need a top flight starter at that position.

(Spiller is the man at 13, because speed, return ability WILL be addressed early.)
does no one think that we should think about getting jahvid best in the second round? i guess it would be a good idea if we don't get spiller in the first and instead get earl thomas. for instance get trent williams and earl thomas in the first (as opposed to getting williams and spiller in the first and maybe rashad jones in the third). maybe also we could get dexter mccluster in the third, but i'm not sure if that would be possible.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran

1a, 1b, 1c

or

1a, 1b, 2a, 2b

I gotta agree here too. I've been saying we should trade to get another 2nd but I'd be happy with option one too. We have plenty of role players on our team. I think we need to really target a few top guys we want this year and get them. RT..passrusher..KR..and guard. Is this the strongest draft class in 5 years?? more?? just askin.

[ Edited by Walsh on Feb 13, 2010 at 00:36:43 ]
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Spiller
Campbell
Ducasse
Hughes
Jones

Needs met:
CoB back
Returner
Huge upgrade to OL
Pass-rusher
Secondary
I dont agree. I see the right tackles this year being highly regarded, and possibly seeing five to six (with Iupati) off the board in the first 20 picks. Charles Brown should be available but I think theres a big drop in NFL ready talent after him.

With our oline blocking schemes, Iupati would be an excellent pick near the 20-22 range. Right tackle should then be addressed with f*gency, because we need a top flight starter at that position.

(Spiller is the man at 13, because speed, return ability WILL be addressed early.)

/agree
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Spiller
Campbell
Ducasse
Hughes
Jones

Needs met:
CoB back
Returner
Huge upgrade to OL
Pass-rusher
Secondary

I've seen Campbell fall into the 2nd round in some mocks. I agree that we should get one of the top five (Okung, Buluga, Davis, Williams, Campbell), I just think we're able to do that and still trade down.
Share 49ersWebzone