There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Maiocco's Feb. mock

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
The problem with drafting McClain has to do with the salary cap.

If in fact, "he would pair with Patrick Willis for a long time", then perhaps it would make sense. But how long a time is that going to be?

Are we seriously going to pay two 3-4 middle linebackers huge dollars? The salary cap forces you to RATION your money. Which positions are we not going to pay? WR? RB? OT? DB?

Somewhere, at some point, we will end up paying somebody less money on our roster to make it work. Like it or not, you must consider the VALUE of a position when drafting and bringing in free agents (this includes guards by the way).

How much are we going to end up paying All-Pro guards and middle linebackers? It is not a matter of the York's not willing to pay etc, it is a matter of SALARY CAP, pure and simple. Certain positions are WORTH MORE.

The salary cap does not allow you to have a team full of All-Pro's, you can only have so many of them. So the question becomes, WHICH positions do you want to pay All-Pro money to?

FWIW. The #13 pick last year counts for roughly the same amount against the cap this year as Takeo Spikes. Which is about $3 mill.

Not saying we should or shouldn't. I just don't think it will be a salary Cap problem like you seem to think. Yes when it's time to extend he could be pricey. But by that time the Cap would have went up how much? Not to mention the likelyhood of a rookie cap!

I think he's talking long term and his second contract. Look at the difficulty Chicago has had keeping Urlacher and Briggs happy. Look at Jamie Sharper bolting the Ravens right after their Super Bowl. It's hard to pay that kind of money to ILB long term.

It can be done. Balt had tons of money spent all over that defense. Dline, LB's and secondary. Which is why it was hard for them. Like I said in my original post. By the time it's time to extend him. Rookie cap will be in place and the league wide Cap will be outrageous.

We're also assuming he puts up Patrick Willis numbers. Which is unlikely due to the fact he will be playing next to Willis. In theory the two will cut into each other's future deals.

If in fact, "he would pair with Patrick Willis for a long time", then perhaps it would make sense. But how long a time is that going to be?

Are we seriously going to pay two 3-4 middle linebackers huge dollars? The salary cap forces you to RATION your money. Which positions are we not going to pay? WR? RB? OT? DB?

Somewhere, at some point, we will end up paying somebody less money on our roster to make it work. Like it or not, you must consider the VALUE of a position when drafting and bringing in free agents (this includes guards by the way).

How much are we going to end up paying All-Pro guards and middle linebackers? It is not a matter of the York's not willing to pay etc, it is a matter of SALARY CAP, pure and simple. Certain positions are WORTH MORE.

The salary cap does not allow you to have a team full of All-Pro's, you can only have so many of them. So the question becomes, WHICH positions do you want to pay All-Pro money to?

FWIW. The #13 pick last year counts for roughly the same amount against the cap this year as Takeo Spikes. Which is about $3 mill.

Not saying we should or shouldn't. I just don't think it will be a salary Cap problem like you seem to think. Yes when it's time to extend he could be pricey. But by that time the Cap would have went up how much? Not to mention the likelyhood of a rookie cap!

I think he's talking long term and his second contract. Look at the difficulty Chicago has had keeping Urlacher and Briggs happy. Look at Jamie Sharper bolting the Ravens right after their Super Bowl. It's hard to pay that kind of money to ILB long term.

It can be done. Balt had tons of money spent all over that defense. Dline, LB's and secondary. Which is why it was hard for them. Like I said in my original post. By the time it's time to extend him. Rookie cap will be in place and the league wide Cap will be outrageous.

We're also assuming he puts up Patrick Willis numbers. Which is unlikely due to the fact he will be playing next to Willis. In theory the two will cut into each other's future deals.

That's the problem. In order to become an elite defense we're still going to have spend money elsewhere.

Not sure about the last part. If our defense is top ranked, and that should be the goal, then the individual stats aren't going to matter as much. Willis has already established as the best MLB in the league so don't expect to come any cheaper than he already is.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
We have to draft CJ Spiller, WHY? If he is still available at 14 im pretty sure that the Seahawks would take him, i don´t want to see Spiller torment us 2 times a year.

I think the Seahawks pick at 14 will have a lot to do with what they do at 6 first and how things are falling. 14 could be an OT, DE, CB or S as well. All pressing needs, and some still think they may draft Taylor Mays that high, I think it is a possibility.
If we're going to take a LB in the first I prefer Graham
We have to draft CJ Spiller, WHY? If he is still available at 14 im pretty sure that the Seahawks would take him, i don´t want to see Spiller torment us 2 times a year.

exactly. why the hell would we take an ilb in the 1st
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

exactly. why the hell would we take an ilb in the 1st

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Spiller is gone before 13. His value is going to increase because of the numbers he is going to put up during the combine in addition to comparisons to CJ2K.

And as for McClain. I see what everybody is saying about ILB, however, I tend to agree with Maiocco. If McClain is there at 13 we should take him. He is a top defensive prospect (probably only behind Berry, Suh, and maybe McCoy). In fact, a lot of people have him ranked higher than some of those players I mentioned but ILB rarely go top 5. Furthermore, although ILB might not seem like a "need" position right now, it will be in 2011 (after Spikes leaves). Why not get a bargain this year with McClain at 13?

That's the problem. In order to become an elite defense we're still going to have spend money elsewhere.

Not sure about the last part. If our defense is top ranked, and that should be the goal, then the individual stats aren't going to matter as much. Willis has already established as the best MLB in the league so don't expect to come any cheaper than he already is.

Balt let Bart go and decided ray was more important even at his age. Patrick will stay over anyone on this team. he should tell alex to give him the money that he made for the first overall. But to be honest that would be a dream world two freak ILB with the greatest ILB as the head coach....And we've been going cheap at guard lol i thought that was are savings.
I hope we draft CJ Spiller!
Originally posted by tohara3:
I hope we draft CJ Spiller!

When Spiller kills it at the combine he will be drafted by the Raiders.

I think if it hasn't been announced, that Walter Jones is about ready to announce his retirement. If that happens, OT, rather than Spiller would be the Seahawks #14 pick.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by fryet:
If we have 2 great ILB, then I think you would find the 49ers doing a lot of blitzes up the middle, confident that the other ILB can guard against the pass. As it stands now, we rarely send PW up the middle, because he is so great in coverage. The 49ers may have a powerful/unique defense by having 2 Pro Bowl quality ILB. I see no reason why the 49ers could not have great success in such a defense, even if it means that they don't have Pro-Bowl OLB.

There has never been a successful 3-4 defense with that philosophy. You HAVE to have great OLBs and a dominant NT to run this defense.

Just because it hasn't happened before, doesn't mean that it can't succeed. Who knows? Maybe the 49ers will start a new trend.
Originally posted by TX9R:
If we have 2 great ILB, then I think you would find the 49ers doing a lot of blitzes up the middle, confident that the other ILB can guard against the pass. As it stands now, we rarely send PW up the middle, because he is so great in coverage. The 49ers may have a powerful/unique defense by having 2 Pro Bowl quality ILB. I see no reason why the 49ers could not have great success in such a defense, even if it means that they don't have Pro-Bowl OLB.

There has never been a successful 3-4 defense with that philosophy. You HAVE to have great OLBs and a dominant NT to run this defense.

Just because it hasn't happened before, doesn't mean that it can't succeed. Who knows? Maybe the 49ers will start a new trend.

Spikes is more than adequate for now. McClain is a luxury pick we can't really afford.
McClain and Spiller prolly wont be there at 13. We go OL and pass rusher at 17.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for Allx9er.
adding mcclain would be great as long as they believe there is a legitimate chance of addressing the RT. theres no rule that says the ted cant be an impact player the more quality players the better especially up the middle. in addition IFFFF he did end up with the niners we dont know what the full extent of his role on the D would be. i luv what spikes has brought to the line up but hes fading

With Willis and McClain in the middle of our defense the next 5 years, I don't think so.