There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Maiocco's Feb. mock

Quote:
1. Rams - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska: A team with so many needs takes the top player, regardless of position, in the draft.

2. Lions - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma: At least they don't have to worry about taking a QB, after selecting one with the top pick a year ago.

3. Bucs - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee: It's awfully high to take a safety, but Berry has a chance to be a rare game-changer from that position.

4. Redskins - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame: Mike Shanahan takes no chances and grabs his quarterback now.

5. Chiefs - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State: With Brandon Albert on one side, KC now has bookend tackles for a long time.

6. Seahawks - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma: He'll receive a thorough examination at the combine. If his rehabilitation is on schedule, Pete Carroll plucks his QB of the future.

7. Browns - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: When Bryant reports after a 70-day contract stalemate (Eugene Parker is his agent), he'll provide a spark.

8. Raiders - Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: His stock will soar after the combine, and Al Davis will get smitten.

9. Bills - Joe Haden, CB, Florida: Best player at a position of need.

#10. Jaguars - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech: In my mock coin flip, Jacksonville wins the right to choose ahead of the Broncos.

#11. Broncos - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: Should give Denver a little more beef to fit into their 3-4 defense.

12. Dolphins - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida: He has great athleticism, and will be earmarked to step into Jason Taylor's spot.

13. 49ers - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama: His smarts and passion fits the 49ers mold. He and Patrick Willis will be team's top-two tacklers for a long time.

14. Seahawks - C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson: With his ability to run between the tackles, he has a much better chance of making it than Reggie Bush.

15. Giants - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: Can't pass up an opportunity to find protection for quarterback investment.

#16. Titans - Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan: He capitalizes on momentum from strong showing at Senior Bowl practices and game.

#17. 49ers - Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa: It's projected that 49ers lose the coin toss, but they still get their starting right tackle.

18. Steelers - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma: And this completes the first-round run on offensive tackles.

#19. Texans - Taylor Mays, S, USC: He will test well, so on potential alone he is too tempting to pass up.

#20. Falcons - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida: Hoping for a lot more production than what Jamaal Anderson has given them.

21. Bengals - Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: Cedric Benson's new best friend.

22. Patriots - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas: New England's new defensive coordinator, some guy named Belichick, gets a new toy.

23. Packers - Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson: Another 3-4 team finds a good fit for their scheme.

24. Eagles - Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida: They get their mean, green tackling machine.

25. Ravens - Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois: Get used to hearing Flacco-to-Benn calls.

26. Cardinals - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: Assuming Matt Leinart is the starting QB, he'll find his security blanket underneath.

27. Cowboys - Chad Jones, S, LSU: Big, physical safety has great instincts; all he needs is to prove he can keep his weight down.

28. Chargers - Brian Price, DT, UCLA: After injuries decimated this unit, San Diego decides to beef up.

29. Jets - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame: TSome young help arrives for the league's No. 31-ranked passing game.

30. Vikings - Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: With the Mike Martz invasion into the NFC North, you need all the corners you can find.

31. Colts - Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri: The middle of the Indy defense gets an injection of attitude.

32. Saints - Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State: I mean, come on, who else?

now why on earth would we use our FIRST pick on a LB?? we have LB coming out our ears. the last thing we need is another one to take away playing time from the others.

come on, matt. T, CB, S, WR, DT are all higher priority needs in the first.
The problem with drafting McClain has to do with the salary cap.

If in fact, "he would pair with Patrick Willis for a long time", then perhaps it would make sense. But how long a time is that going to be?

Are we seriously going to pay two 3-4 middle linebackers huge dollars? The salary cap forces you to RATION your money. Which positions are we not going to pay? WR? RB? OT? DB?

Somewhere, at some point, we will end up paying somebody less money on our roster to make it work. Like it or not, you must consider the VALUE of a position when drafting and bringing in free agents (this includes guards by the way).

How much are we going to end up paying All-Pro guards and middle linebackers? It is not a matter of the York's not willing to pay etc, it is a matter of SALARY CAP, pure and simple. Certain positions are WORTH MORE.

The salary cap does not allow you to have a team full of All-Pro's, you can only have so many of them. So the question becomes, WHICH positions do you want to pay All-Pro money to?
Originally posted by BrianGO:

If in fact, "he would pair with Patrick Willis for a long time", then perhaps it would make sense. But how long a time is that going to be?

Are we seriously going to pay two 3-4 middle linebackers huge dollars? The salary cap forces you to RATION your money. Which positions are we not going to pay? WR? RB? OT? DB?

Somewhere, at some point, we will end up paying somebody less money on our roster to make it work. Like it or not, you must consider the VALUE of a position when drafting and bringing in free agents (this includes guards by the way).

How much are we going to end up paying All-Pro guards and middle linebackers? It is not a matter of the York's not willing to pay etc, it is a matter of SALARY CAP, pure and simple. Certain positions are WORTH MORE.

The salary cap does not allow you to have a team full of All-Pro's, you can only have so many of them. So the question becomes, WHICH positions do you want to pay All-Pro money to?

well as of right now, there will be no salary cap in 2010, and that means there will probably never be one again.

if they go uncapped into 2010, which is all but certain at this point, itll go the way of baseball.

so the cap isnt a big deal as much as just wasting a 1st round pick on a position were already stacked at. especially when we need other positions desperately.
The 49ers need impact players in the first round if they want to go to the playoffs this year. TED LBs are not that hard to find in the mid-rounds, especially with the prospects this year.

OT, KR/PR, WR, OG, S, and DE/LB should be the priority positions - especially since we have Spikes and McKillop on the roster.

The pick makes sense but for the wrong reasons. McClain is an outstanding LB, and it's a pick that addresses a need in a year or two, but it would be another future pick and not for an immediate need.
Originally posted by GEEK:
The 49ers need impact players in the first round if they want to go to the playoffs this year. TED LBs are not that hard to find in the mid-rounds, especially with the prospects this year.

OT, KR/PR, WR, OG, S, and DE/LB should be the priority positions - especially since we have Spikes and McKillop on the roster.

The pick makes sense but for the wrong reasons. McClain is an outstanding LB, and it's a pick that addresses a need in a year or two, but it would be another future pick and not for an immediate need.

Cosigned. If we take a LB I'd rather have a pass rusher like Brandon Graham who can play OLB. But if we signed a guy like Peppers or Porter, I wouldn't mind taking McClain I guess. But he wouldn't play that much this season. I'd probably rather get a guy in the secondary. I like the selection of Bulaga though.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I agree, TED is maybe the least important position on defense and it would be a luxury to have to great ILBs. However, I could totally see this happening based on McC's tendencies.
Yeah agree with you guys, I'd rather take CJ Spiller in that scenario. I think Spikes is more than capable in the 2010 season at TED and McKillop should be good to go by 2011
Originally posted by Niners99:
Quote:
1. Rams - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska: A team with so many needs takes the top player, regardless of position, in the draft.

2. Lions - Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma: At least they don't have to worry about taking a QB, after selecting one with the top pick a year ago.

3. Bucs - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee: It's awfully high to take a safety, but Berry has a chance to be a rare game-changer from that position.

4. Redskins - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame: Mike Shanahan takes no chances and grabs his quarterback now.

5. Chiefs - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State: With Brandon Albert on one side, KC now has bookend tackles for a long time.

6. Seahawks - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma: He'll receive a thorough examination at the combine. If his rehabilitation is on schedule, Pete Carroll plucks his QB of the future.

7. Browns - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: When Bryant reports after a 70-day contract stalemate (Eugene Parker is his agent), he'll provide a spark.

8. Raiders - Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland: His stock will soar after the combine, and Al Davis will get smitten.

9. Bills - Joe Haden, CB, Florida: Best player at a position of need.

#10. Jaguars - Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech: In my mock coin flip, Jacksonville wins the right to choose ahead of the Broncos.

#11. Broncos - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee: Should give Denver a little more beef to fit into their 3-4 defense.

12. Dolphins - Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida: He has great athleticism, and will be earmarked to step into Jason Taylor's spot.

13. 49ers - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama: His smarts and passion fits the 49ers mold. He and Patrick Willis will be team's top-two tacklers for a long time.

14. Seahawks - C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson: With his ability to run between the tackles, he has a much better chance of making it than Reggie Bush.

15. Giants - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: Can't pass up an opportunity to find protection for quarterback investment.

#16. Titans - Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan: He capitalizes on momentum from strong showing at Senior Bowl practices and game.

#17. 49ers - Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa: It's projected that 49ers lose the coin toss, but they still get their starting right tackle.

18. Steelers - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma: And this completes the first-round run on offensive tackles.

#19. Texans - Taylor Mays, S, USC: He will test well, so on potential alone he is too tempting to pass up.

#20. Falcons - Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida: Hoping for a lot more production than what Jamaal Anderson has given them.

21. Bengals - Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho: Cedric Benson's new best friend.

22. Patriots - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas: New England's new defensive coordinator, some guy named Belichick, gets a new toy.

23. Packers - Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson: Another 3-4 team finds a good fit for their scheme.

24. Eagles - Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida: They get their mean, green tackling machine.

25. Ravens - Arrelious Benn, WR, Illinois: Get used to hearing Flacco-to-Benn calls.

26. Cardinals - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: Assuming Matt Leinart is the starting QB, he'll find his security blanket underneath.

27. Cowboys - Chad Jones, S, LSU: Big, physical safety has great instincts; all he needs is to prove he can keep his weight down.

28. Chargers - Brian Price, DT, UCLA: After injuries decimated this unit, San Diego decides to beef up.

29. Jets - Golden Tate, WR, Notre Dame: TSome young help arrives for the league's No. 31-ranked passing game.

30. Vikings - Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: With the Mike Martz invasion into the NFC North, you need all the corners you can find.

31. Colts - Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri: The middle of the Indy defense gets an injection of attitude.

32. Saints - Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State: I mean, come on, who else?

now why on earth would we use our FIRST pick on a LB?? we have LB coming out our ears. the last thing we need is another one to take away playing time from the others.

come on, matt. T, CB, S, WR, DT are all higher priority needs in the first.

I would rather an OLB, than a ILB in the first.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
If we have 2 great ILB, then I think you would find the 49ers doing a lot of blitzes up the middle, confident that the other ILB can guard against the pass. As it stands now, we rarely send PW up the middle, because he is so great in coverage. The 49ers may have a powerful/unique defense by having 2 Pro Bowl quality ILB. I see no reason why the 49ers could not have great success in such a defense, even if it means that they don't have Pro-Bowl OLB.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fryet:
If we have 2 great ILB, then I think you would find the 49ers doing a lot of blitzes up the middle, confident that the other ILB can guard against the pass. As it stands now, we rarely send PW up the middle, because he is so great in coverage. The 49ers may have a powerful/unique defense by having 2 Pro Bowl quality ILB. I see no reason why the 49ers could not have great success in such a defense, even if it means that they don't have Pro-Bowl OLB.

There has never been a successful 3-4 defense with that philosophy. You HAVE to have great OLBs and a dominant NT to run this defense.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Yeah agree with you guys, I'd rather take CJ Spiller in that scenario. I think Spikes is more than capable in the 2010 season at TED and McKillop should be good to go by 2011

I agree. Don't we also still have Wilhelm too or was he a one and done? I thought he played good when he played last year. I just dont see how we can pass up Spiller either if he is there at 13 and let Seattle take him. If Scotty lets that happen I will be extremely upset. I hve a feeling though, he won't be there at 13 after a good combine.

FWIW. The #13 pick last year counts for roughly the same amount against the cap this year as Takeo Spikes. Which is about $3 mill.

Not saying we should or shouldn't. I just don't think it will be a salary Cap problem like you seem to think. Yes when it's time to extend he could be pricey. But by that time the Cap would have went up how much? Not to mention the likelyhood of a rookie cap!
Originally posted by krizay:

FWIW. The #13 pick last year counts for roughly the same amount against the cap this year as Takeo Spikes. Which is about $3 mill.

Not saying we should or shouldn't. I just don't think it will be a salary Cap problem like you seem to think. Yes when it's time to extend he could be pricey. But by that time the Cap would have went up how much? Not to mention the likelyhood of a rookie cap!

I think he's talking long term and his second contract. Look at the difficulty Chicago has had keeping Urlacher and Briggs happy. Look at Jamie Sharper bolting the Ravens right after their Super Bowl. It's hard to pay that kind of money to ILB long term.
We have to draft CJ Spiller, WHY? If he is still available at 14 im pretty sure that the Seahawks would take him, i donĀ“t want to see Spiller torment us 2 times a year.