There are 279 users in the forums

Simple road map to a solid draft

Love your first 3 rounds. I had Rashawn Jackson FB – Virginia in my own draft. But Scotty picked up Jehuu Caulcrick FB 250 lbs, off the Jet's practice squad. Caulcrick is 10 lbs heavier than Jackson, and has surprising speed for a big man. Below is a Youtube video of Caulcrick's career day against ND in 2007, when he weighed 265lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAljSBJrOrQ
Originally posted by mebemused:
Love your first 3 rounds. I had Rashawn Jackson FB – Virginia in my own draft. But Scotty picked up Jehuu Caulcrick FB 250 lbs, off the Jet's practice squad. Caulcrick is 10 lbs heavier than Jackson, and has surprising speed for a big man. Below is a Youtube video of Caulcrick's career day against ND in 2007, when he weighed 265lbs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAljSBJrOrQ

Totally forgot about that. DL or even another OL is always an option.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Feb 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No thank you to Bulaga, rather have Brandon Graham with the 16th pick. I love the Nate Allen pick, and switch Johnson with John Jerry.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kolohe:
No thank you to Bulaga, rather have Brandon Graham with the 16th pick. I love the Nate Allen pick, and switch Johnson with John Jerry.

LB is not a need for this team. That would be a waste of a first round pick.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

So here’s my dream mock through day two:
1A- C.J. Spiller RB/KR – Clemson
1B- Bryan Bulaga OT - Iowa
2- Nate Allen S - South Florida
3- Mike Johnson OG/OT - Alabama

Love these picks. Allen is a good sleeper safety IMO and will definitely fix a need for us. Mike Johnson is a good guard, and if he's gone John Jerry should be a good option here too.

Quote:

Day Three – Fourth through Seventh Rounds
So what’s left? CB depth and some pass rush help, or maybe a blocking TE/FB/H-Back type of player.

4- Jermaine Cunningham OLB – Florida (DE Conversion project, very athletic)
5- Brian Jackson CB – Oklahoma (Physical press corner with good size)
6- Jim Dray TE – Stanford (Blocking is his specialty, but he’s more than that)
7a- Rashawn Jackson FB – Virginia
7b- Joe Pawelek ILB – Baylor

With the Niners signing Tony Curtis to a future contract I don't see them drafting a TE. We've also got Brit Miller on the roster (I think he'll wind up being the starting FB next year), and they signed Jehuu Caulcrick to a future contract (he's a big 250lb bruiser of a back). I love your 1st-3rd rounds though.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by smileyman:

You see a wasted pick, I see the pass-rushing LB we've been lacking. Bulaga would be the wasted pick, hes gonna suck against speed rushers in the Pro's. Sure my opinion isn't a given, but what Brandon Graham did to him in college was down right nasty, no way would I pick Bulaga in the 1st.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

You see a wasted pick, I see the pass-rushing LB we've been lacking. Bulaga would be the wasted pick, hes gonna suck against speed rushers in the Pro's. Sure my opinion isn't a given, but what Brandon Graham did to him in college was down right nasty, no way would I pick Bulaga in the 1st.

The Niners tied for 3rd in the league in sacks--I don't know how you can say we need a pass-rushing LB when we have those kinds of numbers.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

The Niners tied for 3rd in the league in sacks--I don't know how you can say we need a pass-rushing LB when we have those kinds of numbers.

Your right they did, but for the first half of the season QB's would yawn at our pass rush. If it weren't for Justin Smith and his 4 sack performance against the 1-15 Rams we'd be tied for 8th. And the most sacks by a LB on our team was 6.5, and we don't need a pass rusher???
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Your right they did, but for the first half of the season QB's would yawn at our pass rush. If it weren't for Justin Smith and his 4 sack performance against the 1-15 Rams we'd be tied for 8th. And the most sacks by a LB on our team was 6.5, and we don't need a pass rusher???

If you play that game you have to do it for every team in the league. The Vikings played against the lousy line of Chicago (twice), the Browns, Detroit (twice), St. Louis, Seattle. The Steelers plaid against Chicago, Cleveland (twice) and KC. The Dolphins actually had the toughest schedule of everybody in the top 5. The Eagles played against TB, KC, Chicago and the Redskins.

Every team in the top 5 played against lousy offensive lines, so if you want to take out Smith's 4 sacks against St. Louis you have to go through everybody else's schedule and do the same.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

If you play that game you have to do it for every team in the league. The Vikings played against the lousy line of Chicago (twice), the Browns, Detroit (twice), St. Louis, Seattle. The Steelers plaid against Chicago, Cleveland (twice) and KC. The Dolphins actually had the toughest schedule of everybody in the top 5. The Eagles played against TB, KC, Chicago and the Redskins.

Every team in the top 5 played against lousy offensive lines, so if you want to take out Smith's 4 sacks against St. Louis you have to go through everybody else's schedule and do the same.

But I'm not talking about every other team in the league, just ours. I'm merely looking at our group of pass-rushing LB's we have....Jared Allen>>>>any LB or pass rusher on our team for that matter. Again, the leader in sacks for our team is 6.5, and not even he was applying CONSISTENT pressure all year. Too bad pressure wasn't a stat, no way would our LB's be ranked in the top 10 for that.

Now just from our pass rushers alone, Lawson, Brooks and Haralson they combine for 17.5 sacks.

Now look at Minny's pass rushers with only Jared Allen, Ray Edwards and Brian Robinson they combine for a total of 23 sacks. And they get pressure on a consistent basis.

And I'd take ANY dominant pass rusher in the 1st round over any soon to be RT in the 1st.

• smileyman
  • Info N/A

But I'm not talking about every other team in the league, just ours. I'm merely looking at our group of pass-rushing LB's we have....Jared Allen>>>>any LB or pass rusher on our team for that matter. Again, the leader in sacks for our team is 6.5, and not even he was applying CONSISTENT pressure all year. Too bad pressure wasn't a stat, no way would our LB's be ranked in the top 10 for that.

You say you're not talking about other teams but then you immediately compare us to other teams. Jared Allen had 7 games this year where he didn't record a sack, and 5 games where he recorded just 1. That means that 9.5 of his sacks came in just 4 games. How is that consistent again?

Quote:

Now just from our pass rushers alone, Lawson, Brooks and Haralson they combine for 17.5 sacks.

Now look at Minny's pass rushers with only Jared Allen, Ray Edwards and Brian Robinson they combine for a total of 23 sacks. And they get pressure on a consistent basis.

I already debunked Jared Allen. Ray Edward went 9 games without a sack this year. He had one game with just .5 a sack, and 4 games with 1 sack. 9 games without a sack is not consistent. Brian Robinson isn't even a starter for the Vikings and you want to use him as a comparison? Ok, he got a whole 4.5 sacks this year. How is that applying consistent pressure again?

Quote:

And I'd take ANY dominant pass rusher in the 1st round over any soon to be RT in the 1st.

Dominant pass rushers are not dominant all the time. It's just not possible.

Besides, you're comparing a 4-3 team with a 3-4 and the functions are completely different. Justin Smith was just as effective at rushing the passer as was Jared Allen. (44 QB pressures compared to 45). Getting pressure on the QB is the least of our defensive worries.
Totally agree w/Bulaga...but one thing to keep in mind is Singletary lost out on Oher last year because Crabtree fell to him. I really don't see him waiting to pull the trigger on his OT this time around...so, I want him to go ahead and take Bulaga at #13. True, Spiller may be gone, but we can get an excellent return guy later. With the #16/17 pick, he can go after BPA...and that could be a CB, or a big DE, like Jared Odrick. You want to get impact with any #1 pick...and while Spiller would provide some, he'd have limited opportunities to touch the ball initially. With Odrick, he's a guy who could potentially have a big impact...because he's big (6-5, 300), quick, and plays with an attitude. We need a much bigger contribution from the LDE position...and pairing him w/Justin Smith makes a ton of sense. Sopoaga's just not cutting it...and if you dramatically increase the pressure from the left side, that helps create even more opportunities for Justin Smith. A DL of Odrick, Franklin and Smith could really give opponents a handful to deal with.

In the 2nd, we get our OG...Crimson Tide's Mike Johnson would be a great pick...he's a very versatile OL, having played both OT and OG at Alabama. I don't see him lasting 'til the 3rd round. There, I'd maybe take Javier Arenas...who could provide CB depth and is an excellent KR man.

No problem with rds 4-7...those guys can at least push players on the current roster, if not earn a spot themselves. We may not need to draft a TE, though...I think Tony Curtis will earn the #3 spot easily enough.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Totally agree w/Bulaga...but one thing to keep in mind is Singletary lost out on Oher last year because Crabtree fell to him. I really don't see him waiting to pull the trigger on his OT this time around...so, I want him to go ahead and take Bulaga at #13. True, Spiller may be gone, but we can get an excellent return guy later. With the #16/17 pick, he can go after BPA...and that could be a CB, or a big DE, like Jared Odrick. You want to get impact with any #1 pick...and while Spiller would provide some, he'd have limited opportunities to touch the ball initially. With Odrick, he's a guy who could potentially have a big impact...because he's big (6-5, 300), quick, and plays with an attitude. We need a much bigger contribution from the LDE position...and pairing him w/Justin Smith makes a ton of sense. Sopoaga's just not cutting it...and if you dramatically increase the pressure from the left side, that helps create even more opportunities for Justin Smith. A DL of Odrick, Franklin and Smith could really give opponents a handful to deal with.

In the 2nd, we get our OG...Crimson Tide's Mike Johnson would be a great pick...he's a very versatile OL, having played both OT and OG at Alabama. I don't see him lasting 'til the 3rd round. There, I'd maybe take Javier Arenas...who could provide CB depth and is an excellent KR man.

No problem with rds 4-7...those guys can at least push players on the current roster, if not earn a spot themselves. We may not need to draft a TE, though...I think Tony Curtis will earn the #3 spot easily enough.

I think if Bulaga is there at #13 he'll still be there at 16/17, especially if Seattle picks an OT at #6.

I get why you want to take Brandon Graham. I agree with you that OLB is high on the priority list and Graham looks to be a great fit to fill it. What I don't get is why you don't want a right tackle in the 1st? If anything I think you should be advocating against Spiller at 13 and then fill in the RT that you do want.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

You say you're not talking about other teams but then you immediately compare us to other teams. Jared Allen had 7 games this year where he didn't record a sack, and 5 games where he recorded just 1. That means that 9.5 of his sacks came in just 4 games. How is that consistent again?

Quote:

I already debunked Jared Allen. Ray Edward went 9 games without a sack this year. He had one game with just .5 a sack, and 4 games with 1 sack. 9 games without a sack is not consistent. Brian Robinson isn't even a starter for the Vikings and you want to use him as a comparison? Ok, he got a whole 4.5 sacks this year. How is that applying consistent pressure again?

Quote:

Dominant pass rushers are not dominant all the time. It's just not possible.

Besides, you're comparing a 4-3 team with a 3-4 and the functions are completely different. Justin Smith was just as effective at rushing the passer as was Jared Allen. (44 QB pressures compared to 45). Getting pressure on the QB is the least of our defensive worries.

Again, you are totally missing the point. I only brought up Minny cause you decided to. And I was making a point that their pass-rushers are far greater than ours, and notice I was sticking to our LB's to their pass-rushers and not bringing in their lineman like you brought in Justin Smith. And yes, I was comparing a 4-3 team to a 3-4, but in the end, Jared Allen, Edwards and Robinsons job is the same as Haralsons, Lawsons and Brooks, and that is to rush the passer....correct??

BTW where did you get that stat on QB pressures from Allen and Smith?? Now try comparing Allens to Lawson, Haralson and Brooks. And please Link it, I'm curious about this site, thanks.
Share 49ersWebzone