There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Simple road map to a solid draft

So here it is.

Day One - First Round
For my money our two most pressing needs are right tackle and a legit home-run hitting return man and I'd love to see both needs filled in the first round. My preferred combo would be Spiller at 13 and Bulaga/Williams at 16. But if Spiller is gone I'd be more than happy with Bulaga/Williams at 13 and Golden Tate at 16. No, taking another Biletnikoff Award Winning WR in the first round wouldn't bug me at all if the guy can return kicks.

Day Two - Second & Third Rounds
The second round is shaping to be the perfect time to get great value for a DB. Like most of the board, Nate Allen or Chad Jones would be my preference and I think we should feel pretty confident that one or the other will be there. But a couple of solid corners should also be available if the safety we need doesn’t slide to 49.

The third round should be a target rich environment for an OG/OT swing man. My preference would be that Mike Johnson from Bama slips to 79 but John Jerry, Kyle Calloway or Roger Saffold should also be available. I think any one of those prospects would be able to push Baas and/or Rachal immediately.

So here’s my dream mock through day two:
1A- C.J. Spiller RB/KR – Clemson
1B- Bryan Bulaga OT - Iowa
2- Nate Allen S - South Florida
3- Mike Johnson OG/OT - Alabama

We’d have a top-flight playmaker, a starting RT, possibly a starting Safety and interior o-line depth.

Day Three – Fourth through Seventh Rounds
So what’s left? CB depth and some pass rush help, or maybe a blocking TE/FB/H-Back type of player.

4- Jermaine Cunningham OLB – Florida (DE Conversion project, very athletic)
5- Brian Jackson CB – Oklahoma (Physical press corner with good size)
6- Jim Dray TE – Stanford (Blocking is his specialty, but he’s more than that)
7a- Rashawn Jackson FB – Virginia
7b- Joe Pawelek ILB – Baylor
That's an awesome draft. Might go for speed in a late-round corner, maybe a Devin Ross, over Jackson, because we're a little speed-challenged back there right now. First 3 rounds pretty much rule.
Nice draft. Think we already have our FB on the roster, would rather go for a late round speed demon.
Any mock with Spiller make me very happy!



I also like how you broke it down.

[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 10, 2010 at 1:10 PM ]
Totally agree. Spiller/Bulaga/Allen/Johnson would be amazing. If we want Spiller, we MUST get him at 1A because Seattle will take him if we don't.
  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Looks like my draft:

Quote:
1. C.J. Spiller - RB

Speedy home run threat that can share carries with Gore, return kicks, and is not a bad reciever either. Scored a touchdown in every game he played in this past season.

1. Trent Williams - OT

Maybe isn't as good at LT as RT but we already have Staley and with this pick we could have 2 nice bookend tackles for several years.

2. Nate Allen - FS

Goldson has emerged as a starter at one safety spot but this is a position of need and Allen is an athletic center field type that gives us a nice young safety duo.

3. OBrien Schofield - OLB

Ahmad Brooks has showed some flashes but we still need to get more pressure on the QB and this guy is excellent at speed rushing off the edge and could compliment Manny on the opposite side pretty nicely.

4. John Jerry - OG

Guard is still a question mark and this mammoth of a man will be a nice asset, especially if we are facing Suh twice a year.

5. Walter Thurmond - CB

Is a first day talent that suffered a knee injury this past year. Can be a nice corner and an excellent return man. A gamble that could pay off big.

6. Reggie Carter - ILB

Not sure if he'll fall this far but was a tackling machine in the pac 10 and Takeo isn't getting any younger.

7. Daniel Gettis - WR

Might go undrafted but lets gamble on this track runner with excellent size and athleticism.
Originally posted by dman:
Looks like my draft:

Quote:
1. C.J. Spiller - RB

Speedy home run threat that can share carries with Gore, return kicks, and is not a bad reciever either. Scored a touchdown in every game he played in this past season.

1. Trent Williams - OT

Maybe isn't as good at LT as RT but we already have Staley and with this pick we could have 2 nice bookend tackles for several years.

2. Nate Allen - FS

Goldson has emerged as a starter at one safety spot but this is a position of need and Allen is an athletic center field type that gives us a nice young safety duo.

3. OBrien Schofield - OLB

Ahmad Brooks has showed some flashes but we still need to get more pressure on the QB and this guy is excellent at speed rushing off the edge and could compliment Manny on the opposite side pretty nicely.

4. John Jerry - OG

Guard is still a question mark and this mammoth of a man will be a nice asset, especially if we are facing Suh twice a year.

5. Walter Thurmond - CB

Is a first day talent that suffered a knee injury this past year. Can be a nice corner and an excellent return man. A gamble that could pay off big.

6. Reggie Carter - ILB

Not sure if he'll fall this far but was a tackling machine in the pac 10 and Takeo isn't getting any younger.

7. Daniel Gettis - WR

Might go undrafted but lets gamble on this track runner with excellent size and athleticism.


I didn't copy . . . really. I'd be happy with your draft too.
  • dman
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,453
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by dman:
Looks like my draft:

Quote:
1. C.J. Spiller - RB

Speedy home run threat that can share carries with Gore, return kicks, and is not a bad reciever either. Scored a touchdown in every game he played in this past season.

1. Trent Williams - OT

Maybe isn't as good at LT as RT but we already have Staley and with this pick we could have 2 nice bookend tackles for several years.

2. Nate Allen - FS

Goldson has emerged as a starter at one safety spot but this is a position of need and Allen is an athletic center field type that gives us a nice young safety duo.

3. OBrien Schofield - OLB

Ahmad Brooks has showed some flashes but we still need to get more pressure on the QB and this guy is excellent at speed rushing off the edge and could compliment Manny on the opposite side pretty nicely.

4. John Jerry - OG

Guard is still a question mark and this mammoth of a man will be a nice asset, especially if we are facing Suh twice a year.

5. Walter Thurmond - CB

Is a first day talent that suffered a knee injury this past year. Can be a nice corner and an excellent return man. A gamble that could pay off big.

6. Reggie Carter - ILB

Not sure if he'll fall this far but was a tackling machine in the pac 10 and Takeo isn't getting any younger.

7. Daniel Gettis - WR

Might go undrafted but lets gamble on this track runner with excellent size and athleticism.


I didn't copy . . . really. I'd be happy with your draft too.

Haha no Im not accusing you of a copy ... just sayin I agree with your draft.




Get it done Scotty!
I like everything u said and I love the draft the only thing I don't like is that u said if spiller is gone by 13 we should take Tate at 16/17 I would much rather trade back maybe into the early second round or late first take a couple exta picks and pick up gilyard who IMO is the secmd best returner inthe draft (btw he is a better PR than spiller)
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
I like everything u said and I love the draft the only thing I don't like is that u said if spiller is gone by 13 we should take Tate at 16/17 I would much rather trade back maybe into the early second round or late first take a couple exta picks and pick up gilyard who IMO is the secmd best returner inthe draft (btw he is a better PR than spiller)

I wouldn't mind trading back at all, especially if we could somehow end up with McCluster or Gilyard. But absent a deal I wouldn't be at all afraid to take another WR in the first, especially Tate. He'd be an immediate upgrade to our return game and develop into a stud WR sooner rather than later. Although that would probably make 2010 Jason Hill's last season in SF.
0% chance we draft a WR in the first round, KR or not. WR is the deepest position on the team. OLB, CB, S, OT, and OG all need upgrading. If you want a return man I would suggest trading 2nd and 4th round picks to Cleveland for Josh Cribbs.
Tate isn't a game breaker. Hes a quality WR thats undersized at 5'11. Hes got really good hands and fights for the ball well. I just cant remember him catch a ball for 10 yards and breaking a run for 50.
Originally posted by noobie:
Tate isn't a game breaker. Hes a quality WR thats undersized at 5'11. Hes got really good hands and fights for the ball well. I just cant remember him catch a ball for 10 yards and breaking a run for 50.

go to his utube video highlights and watch the washington game....he breaks a long one there...watch the stanford game, where he runs acrross the field after a catch, before cutting it up and scoring...he is a former running back, and running after the catch is his best attribute from what I have seen
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
So here it is.

Day One - First Round
For my money our two most pressing needs are right tackle and a legit home-run hitting return man and I'd love to see both needs filled in the first round. My preferred combo would be Spiller at 13 and Bulaga/Williams at 16. But if Spiller is gone I'd be more than happy with Bulaga/Williams at 13 and Golden Tate at 16. No, taking another Biletnikoff Award Winning WR in the first round wouldn't bug me at all if the guy can return kicks.

Day Two - Second & Third Rounds
The second round is shaping to be the perfect time to get great value for a DB. Like most of the board, Nate Allen or Chad Jones would be my preference and I think we should feel pretty confident that one or the other will be there. But a couple of solid corners should also be available if the safety we need doesn’t slide to 49.

The third round should be a target rich environment for an OG/OT swing man. My preference would be that Mike Johnson from Bama slips to 79 but John Jerry, Kyle Calloway or Roger Saffold should also be available. I think any one of those prospects would be able to push Baas and/or Rachal immediately.

So here’s my dream mock through day two:
1A- C.J. Spiller RB/KR – Clemson
1B- Bryan Bulaga OT - Iowa
2- Nate Allen S - South Florida
3- Mike Johnson OG/OT - Alabama

We’d have a top-flight playmaker, a starting RT, possibly a starting Safety and interior o-line depth.

Day Three – Fourth through Seventh Rounds
So what’s left? CB depth and some pass rush help, or maybe a blocking TE/FB/H-Back type of player.

4- Jermaine Cunningham OLB – Florida (DE Conversion project, very athletic)
5- Brian Jackson CB – Oklahoma (Physical press corner with good size)
6- Jim Dray TE – Stanford (Blocking is his specialty, but he’s more than that)
7a- Rashawn Jackson FB – Virginia
7b- Joe Pawelek ILB – Baylor

100% approved!!!
Overall, quite acceptable. Agree big time with Round 1.