There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tebow to Safety

Originally posted by Old_school:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
LMAO.

I applaud you for thinking outside the proverbial box, but come on.

-9fA

That was my reaction when Tampa took Lynch in the 3rd round.

Lynch isn't an ideal comparison, considering he actually made the switch from QB to safety going into his junior year at Stanford, giving him 2 years of DB experience before being drafted. Not to mention, then Stanford head coach Bill Walsh made sure that then-Bucs coach Sam Wyche knew what kind of player and leader Lynch was, so in his mind, Wyche felt like he was getting a steal in the 3rd after Bill's recommendation.

The better comparison would be Scott Frost, who went on to have a decent NFL career as a safety after playing QB at Stanford then Nebraska.
I see a lot of similarities between John Lynch who played QB at Stanford and was a 9 or 10 time all pro at safety and Tim Tebow. Does anyone else see Tebow's conversion to safety as a draft possibility?

Here is the difference: John Lynch played defense in high school and started his senior season with Stanford at Safety after Walsh talked him into changing positions after the '91 season. Lynch had an excellent arm (he was drafted in the 2nd round of the MLB draft by the Marlins) but was stuck behind Steve Stenstrom. Lynch was drafted much higher to persuade him from going to baseball.

Tebow is a decorated College Quarterback with mechanical problems. I see no reason to switch him to defense, especially without giving him the opportunity to play offense.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
LMAO.

-9fA

Lynch is not the rule, he's the exception.

More often than not, drastic position change experiments have substandard results and often fail.

-9fA

Not only that, but what's the 49ers track record of switching positions on a player in recent years?

Duckett, Robinson, Pickett, etc.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Not really a bad idea, if Tebow fell into the 4th or 5th round, sure, why not? I don't think he will be a good NFL QB.

When a player has to play both ways, Safety is were you play your QB, the understanding of coverages, and the offense is very complementary.

Back in the day, when NFL coaches were prejudiced against black QBs it was pretty common to see them converted to Dbs or Safeties in the NFL!

So yea what the hell as a 4th of 5th rounder, but not as a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd!

Somebody will pick up that little Jesus freak in the first 3 rounds, I just hope it isn't us!

Yeah, but those black QB's were fast, fluid in the hips and could turn and run. Tebow is just......a "great guy"??
Originally posted by GEEK:
LMAO.

-9fA

Lynch is not the rule, he's the exception.

More often than not, drastic position change experiments have substandard results and often fail.

-9fA

Not only that, but what's the 49ers track record of switching positions on a player in recent years?

Duckett, Robinson, Pickett, etc.

Cody Pickett? He played special teams and safety on the scout team. Hardly a position switch.

Michael Robinson? He played running back at Penn State in addition to Quarterback, racking up 806 yards his senior season. I'd say his transition to the NFL has been a success, despite certain opinions around the webzone.

Damane Duckett? He was an undrafted free agent who didn't have the quickness inside. Zero risk in moving him to offensive tackle.

I think you'll find that the team has seven players (Michael Robinson, Arnaz Battle, Parys Haralson, Manny Lawson, Brit Miller and Delanie Walker) that have transitioned to different positions from their primary college position.

In any case, I'm not abdicating drafting Tebow to play in the secondary.
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Not really a bad idea, if Tebow fell into the 4th or 5th round, sure, why not? I don't think he will be a good NFL QB.

When a player has to play both ways, Safety is were you play your QB, the understanding of coverages, and the offense is very complementary.

Back in the day, when NFL coaches were prejudiced against black QBs it was pretty common to see them converted to Dbs or Safeties in the NFL!

Somebody will pick up that little Jesus freak in the first 3 rounds, I just hope it isn't us!

Yeah, but those black QB's were fast, fluid in the hips and could turn and run. Tebow is just......a "great guy"??
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:

Oh hey don't get me wrong, Id rather have cancer than draft that kid!
Tebow displayed some tackling skills in that commercial as well
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Linebacker maybe but I've never heard of a 245 pound safety in the NFL. He could be our future TED if he doesn't show any pass rush ability LOL.
Physically he might have the tools to make the switch to saftey, but I just can't see him making tackles or being much of a ball hawk.
I've always wondered if Michael Robinson might be best as a safety....
If we need a safety, let's draft a safety. Drafting is enough of a crapshoot without taking a high profile guy (probably with a highish pick, round 3?) and completely changing his position. Talk about making life difficult
Tebow will wind up being drafted in the 3rd or 4th round by a team that can invest two years training him to be an NFL QB, and he will be good. That is the way teams USED to develop QBs before ultra high rookie salaries pressured teams to play them before they were ready.

Tebow has some mechanical things that can be corrected but he is a leader and inspirational guy, something that cannot be coached. Trying to fit him into another position is not the solution. QB is the best way to utilize his God-given talent of leadership and overall physical abilities.
Wonder if he has hands......

Tim Tebow = Dallas Clark?
how about we dont draft the most overrated draft prospect in the last decade and try to convert him to an NFL position he never even played in college.

yeah i think we pass.