LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

The Official Draft Two Offensive Linemen in the first round thread.

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by ninertico:

If that picture doesn't validate this thread, I don't know what else does! Great to know our organization was willing to go outside (or in this case, inside) the box! We talked about it. I remember using Trent Williams as an example because I never thought A. Davis would get out of the 10th spot. Missed by one.

I couldn't be happier with those two behemoths. Both remind me of Will Shields, RG, and Willie Shields (LT) who Solari coached under Raye with KC back in 2002. Man those two where monsters! Now we have Solari's new upgraded version of those two.

Singletary always said he wanted to "will" those two yards. Now he can!

This picture makes my day! Woof!

MD.. I know you liked the first 2 picks and cant argue with getting both Davis and Iupati. However, dont you think that Earl THomas, either Davis or Bulaga ( one for sure would have been there at 17) and Vlad Ducasse would have been a better combo than Davis, Iupati, and Mays? I just think that Thomas would have been that real secondary playmaker that we lack and we still could have gotten the beef on the OL as well

And then we shift to STATS, Inc., for numbers on sacks allowed:

Adam Snyder: 9 sacks for 54 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
David Baas: 4 sacks for 26.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
Chilo Rachal: 4 sacks for 23 yards in 16 games (15 starts).
Joe Staley: 3 sacks for 18 yards in 9 games (9 starts).
Barry Sims: 2.5 sacks for 7 yards in 9 games (7 starts).
Tony Pashos: 2.5 sacks for 16 yards in 5 games (1 start).
Tony Wragge: 1 sack for 9 yards in limited duty (no starts).
Eric Heitmann: ½ sack for 3.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).

Maiocco's Blog

Those two bolded players have their replacements ready!

Trent Williams and Mike Iupati please c'mon down!

ninertico,

Thanks for the post and link! Sometime in the next few months, when someone (it happens every summer) begins to say that we should replace Heitmann with Baas, or Wallace, or Wragge, remind them of this link from MM and the stats from Stats, Inc. I fight this battle every year on the zone with people who have no idea what they are talking about, and believe that Heitmann is a liability:

"I ran these same stats a while ago in the entry entitled, "Position Profile: Running backs." But they're probably more appropriate now with the offensive line. The statistics were compiled by the NFL's Game Statistic and Information System.

Here is how the 49ers' run plays were distributed:

Left end: 27 runs (4.81 average). League rank: 24th
Left tackle: 23 runs (2.38 average). League rank: 32nd
Left guard: 32 runs (2.0 average). League rank: 32nd
Middle: 171 runs (4.84 average). League rank: 3rd
Right guard: 38 runs (5.45 average). League rank: 2nd
Right tackle: 39 runs (2.95 average). League rank: 29th
Right end: 27 runs (6.07 average). League rank: 6th

According to these stats, the 49ers had problems in the run game behind left tackle (Barry Sims/Joe Staley), left guard (David Baas) and right tackle (Adam Snyder), and they thrived behind center (Eric Heitmann) and right guard (Chilo Rachal).

And then we shift to STATS, Inc., for numbers on sacks allowed:

Adam Snyder: 9 sacks for 54 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
David Baas: 4 sacks for 26.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
Chilo Rachal: 4 sacks for 23 yards in 16 games (15 starts).
Joe Staley: 3 sacks for 18 yards in 9 games (9 starts).
Barry Sims: 2.5 sacks for 7 yards in 9 games (7 starts).
Tony Pashos: 2.5 sacks for 16 yards in 5 games (1 start).
Tony Wragge: 1 sack for 9 yards in limited duty (no starts).
Eric Heitmann: ½ sack for 3.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).

LT Joe Staley: After playing every snap his first two NFL seasons - the first year at right tackle, the next at left tackle - Staley sustained a knee injury in the seventh game of the season that limited him the rest of the year. He figures to be a starter for a long time. After all, the club has signed him to a reasonable salary through the 2017 season. He is not All-Pro caliber, but a team can win a lot of games with him as a starter. They also reserve the right to move him back to right tackle if they ever land a dominant left tackle.

C Eric Heitmann: He was again the team's most consistent offensive lineman, and his starting job does not figure to be challenged for another year or two. Heitmann enters his ninth NFL season. He is very good working in tight spaces. Getting out front to lead screens or plays to the outside is not his strength. He has good size and better strength than a lot of centers, which is why the 49ers feel comfortable running the ball up the middle so often. Signed through 2011.

RG Chilo Rachal: He played so poorly in the beginning of the season that he lost his starting job for one game (until injuries forced him back into the primary role at right guard). Rachal, who turns 24 in March, has the size and the strength. But does he have the attitude and mean streak to be an enforcer at the guard position? His play leveled out later in the season, but he must get more consistent. That said, the 49ers are encouraged with his development.

LG David Baas: He got off to an extremely slow start after he missed most of training camp after he tore his plantar fascia during a "nutcracker" drill in the first days of training camp. His best game of the season was easily the Monday night victory over the Cardinals. Surprisingly, he was named the winner of the Bobb McKittrick Award. He is one of the players who will likely see his chance at unrestricted free agency evaporate because of the league's labor situation, which requires a player to have six seasons of service before he can become an unrestricted free agent in an uncapped year. Therefore, the 49ers will likely tender him a one-year deal as a restricted free agent. The 49ers don't seem to be in much of a hurry to reward him with a contract extension. If the 49ers draft a guard, Baas would likely be asked to compete for a starting job.

G/T Adam Snyder: He got his wish when he asked Singletary to be left alone at right tackle for the entire offseason program and training camp. But Snyder struggled once the season began, and was moved to right guard to start for a struggling Rachal. When Tony Pashos, who took over at right tackle, sustained a season-ending injury, Snyder was moved back to right tackle. Snyder has proved to be a good backup because of his versatility. He can step in at both tackle and guard positions. But the club is looking to add a player in the draft to take over at right tackle full-time. Signed through 2011."

I remember you touting Iupati and being adamant about his value at even #13. I am still in awe really. Two OLs in the first. They did it and I applaud them.

Actually MadDog, I copied and pasted our two posts for future reference. Our OL can be scary good even this year if Solari and Brown work their magic and Davis/Iupati work really hard. They may not start in the first game, but I bet they start by the end of the season.

If Rachal and Heitmann already have those kinds of #s, for our OL, I can just imagine what Davis and Iupati will do for them especially Mr. Idaho. I can't wait to see him on the field especially when he faces Dockett. That will be fun. That middle is going to be dominant, IMO, just dominant.

Still MD, who would have thought, huh? We actually had the cohones to do it...finally!

Look forward to discussing their development for years to come.
I am happy we got two OLs in the first round and it looks like both of them are quality picks. Now we will get to see what Solari can do with our Oline to get it running smoothly. I want a top 5 running game and a top 10 offense. With these two we will now see if Smith can develop the confidence that he will have time to survey the field and then get it to the receiver.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

If that picture doesn't validate this thread, I don't know what else does! Great to know our organization was willing to go outside (or in this case, inside) the box! We talked about it. I remember using Trent Williams as an example because I never thought A. Davis would get out of the 10th spot. Missed by one.

I couldn't be happier with those two behemoths. Both remind me of Will Shields, RG, and Willie Shields (LT) who Solari coached under Raye with KC back in 2002. Man those two where monsters! Now we have Solari's new upgraded version of those two.

MD.. I know you liked the first 2 picks and cant argue with getting both Davis and Iupati. However, dont you think that Earl THomas, either Davis or Bulaga ( one for sure would have been there at 17) and Vlad Ducasse would have been a better combo than Davis, Iupati, and Mays? I just think that Thomas would have been that real secondary playmaker that we lack and we still could have gotten the beef on the OL as well

When Gore rushes for 1500 yards and Smith has more than 2 seconds to throw the ball you'll forget all about Thomas
I couldn't be happier!

We have just become contenders for the next decade (Staley,Iupati, Davis) Hopefully Smith steps up because we are built to win now.

I believe the team had Davis graded way higher than Bulaga, and I can't argue with the logic. I really like Davis, especially that he is so talented at the age of 20. His upside is better than any OT in the draft.

The Niners were ready to select Iupati at 13 if Davis was taken before him. So, I do not get any indication the team was sold on Thomas. They secured Davis by jumping up to 11, and I don't fault them for their paranoia. They obviously really wanted the kid.

Ducasse is not going to be ready to play for a year at least, and I think he grades a LOT lower than Iupati.

In the end, the Niners picked up, in my opinion, two of the best three OL in the draft. The problem lies with with second rounder. The team seemed to have committed to picking up a safety with that pick, and once Allen was gone, it appears the next person was Mays on their board.

I believe the team had Davis graded way higher than Bulaga, and I can't argue with the logic. I really like Davis, especially that he is so talented at the age of 20. His upside is better than any OT in the draft.

The Niners were ready to select Iupati at 13 if Davis was taken before him. So, I do not get any indication the team was sold on Thomas. They secured Davis by jumping up to 11, and I don't fault them for their paranoia. They obviously really wanted the kid.

Ducasse is not going to be ready to play for a year at least, and I think he grades a LOT lower than Iupati.

In the end, the Niners picked up, in my opinion, two of the best three OL in the draft. The problem lies with with second rounder. The team seemed to have committed to picking up a safety with that pick, and once Allen was gone, it appears the next person was Mays on their board.

What I don't understand is why they weren't as aggressive in going after Allen as they were in going after Anthony Davis. Did they really think he was going to make it to them at #49? A lot of people criticised their trading up to #11 saying it wasn't necessary. I on the other hand loved it because it showed that they are willing to go after the players that they believe will be winners. I just don't know why they didn't apply the same strategy in round two to move up and get Allen. What is your opinion MadDog?
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

What I don't understand is why they weren't as aggressive in going after Allen as they were in going after Anthony Davis. Did they really think he was going to make it to them at #49? A lot of people criticised their trading up to #11 saying it wasn't necessary. I on the other hand loved it because it showed that they are willing to go after the players that they believe will be winners. I just don't know why they didn't apply the same strategy in round two to move up and get Allen. What is your opinion MadDog?

I'm with you. I liked the move up to get the guy they wanted. Look how far Bulaga fell. Obviously, a huge talent gap there. Sometimes you gotta give up something to get what really matters. As for moving up to get Allen, we no longer had a 4th or 5th rounder so not much to trade unless you wanted to dig into next years picks. It's a deep class this year so we might of had to give up a 3rd to move up cuz they got a 4th rounder for the spot.
if we really liked allen and thought he can start for in wk 1 why the hell not give up next yrs 3rd? but no we settle with mays

MD, where does Davis rank from a talent/upside standpoint compared to the OTs selected in the last 5 or so drafts? Does he have Clady-like upside?

Originally posted by davidb:
I've been reading a lot of the mock drafts and I have been thinking about what the so-called draft-experts are saying.

I would have to agree that drafting Trent Williams for RT and Iupati for OG is the best thing to do with the 49ers' two first rounds picks.

Looks like 49er management/Singletary were thinking the same thing.
Share 49ersWebzone