LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

The Official Draft Two Offensive Linemen in the first round thread.

Originally posted by mayo63:
i would cream my pants if we got Iupati. Two OL with the first two picks would be a dream come true.

Sign me up! Except for the "cream my pants" part....

• pd24
  • Veteran
Ill take that also. A good o line means atleast 4 yards a pop for the RB and some time for the QB to throw. We could have a nice ball controll O and our D will be better for the simple fact that they get to rest more.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I also think OG is a greater need than OT.

I'd be happy with Iupati in the 1st and then an OT in the 2nd or 3rd. All the top tier OTs will most likely be gone by our picks anyways, no need to reach in the 1st round just to get an OT.

There is no greater need than RT. I think we'll address OG as well, hence the one year tender for Baas, but likely not in the first or even 2nd

Drafting a player with a day 2 pick doesn't mean that you've "addressed" your need. Yes you've addressed depth at that position, but it's not as if you automatically have the guy who will start for you for years to come. That's why I think you have to take a player with the highest upside at need positions.

I agree, but that doesn't mean that's the way it will go down. For the record, you can get OGs day 2 more than any other position. Drafting number 1 overall doesn't mean you automatically have the guy for years to come either. Lastly day 2 is round 2 now.

Good points. I also believe that OG's can be found later in the draft. This year Johnson and Jerry will be solid OG candidates that will be drafted in round 3. OG's can also be found from college OT's that dont have the quick feet necessary to play OT in the pros but have the size and strength to play inside.

Yup, OG should be the easiest position to fill. If a guy doesn't work at LT, you move him to RT, and then to OG. Look a t leonard Davis, went from huge bust to Pro Bowler because of this. Which is why it's even more baffling that we've had such a hard time filling said position. Now that doesn't mean I still don't want Iupati badly because I think he can be an all pro. But it really comes down to who exactly is available when we pick. If 4 or 5 OTs are gone before 13/ 17, I don't want to reach on a guy just to get an OT when a guy who may be a special player, cough Earl Thomas, cough is sitting there.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would bet a lot of money that the Niners dont select 2 OL in round 1. I think the Niners will take an OT (williams,bulaga,davis) along with BPA (Haden,Spiller,Graham).

Hate to say it, but your probably right.

I think this would be the best way to go about it. Draft your immediate starter on the OL in the first round. Draft the guy who needs to learn in the 2nd or 3rd. I dont think the Niners are going to give up on Baas yet. If Alex Smith deserves a real chance to prove himself, then so does Baas.

I agree 100%. Baas wasn't losing us games last year, Snyder/Pashos/RT has been for a few years now. Baas has all the physical tools that the rest of these guards do, his proble is still that he's raw. They'll go BPA at 13 and T at 17.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by pd24:
Ill take that also. A good o line means atleast 4 yards a pop for the RB and some time for the QB to throw. We could have a nice ball controll O and our D will be better for the simple fact that they get to rest more.

I'm all for improving the talent level on the OL.But don't delude yourself, 5 OL men will never be able to consistently provide running lanes against 8 in the box.A mismatch with speed on the edge nullifies that defensive formation.
I would love for us to draft an OT and then Iupati at 17. Unfortunately I think the niners are going to be reluctant to draft 2 OL in the first because it's scary as hell to start or potentially start 2 rookies on the OL.

I think Ciron Black can be a great 3rd rd pick. He had an avg year, but he was a 3yr starter at LSU at LT and played against great SEC competition.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by pd24:

I'm all for improving the talent level on the OL.But don't delude yourself, 5 OL men will never be able to consistently provide running lanes against 8 in the box.A mismatch with speed on the edge nullifies that defensive formation.

You cant put 8 in the box if you cant presser a QB.
Heitman, Snyder and Rachel dont have 2 testicles added together. For all those that are against the idea, look at how the Jets did it a few years ago. 2 OL and a top free agent G and instant OLine! Go Niners!!!!

If that picture doesn't validate this thread, I don't know what else does! Great to know our organization was willing to go outside (or in this case, inside) the box! We talked about it. I remember using Trent Williams as an example because I never thought A. Davis would get out of the 10th spot. Missed by one.

I couldn't be happier with those two behemoths. Both remind me of Will Shields, RG, and Willie Shields (LT) who Solari coached under Raye with KC back in 2002. Man those two where monsters! Now we have Solari's new upgraded version of those two.

Singletary always said he wanted to "will" those two yards. Now he can!

oops, dbl post...
[ Edited by ninertico on Apr 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM ]

Originally posted by ninertico:
oops, dbl post...

Hell, it was worth saying twice! An O line. At last!

If that picture doesn't validate this thread, I don't know what else does! Great to know our organization was willing to go outside (or in this case, inside) the box! We talked about it. I remember using Trent Williams as an example because I never thought A. Davis would get out of the 10th spot. Missed by one.

I couldn't be happier with those two behemoths. Both remind me of Will Shields, RG, and Willie Shields (LT) who Solari coached under Raye with KC back in 2002. Man those two where monsters! Now we have Solari's new upgraded version of those two.

This picture makes my day! Woof!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Co-signed! I haven't been this excited about a draft & upcoming season in YEARS.

And GOT DAYUM is that an ugly suit. C'mon, Sing!!!

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Apr 26, 2010 at 12:10:00 ]

And then we shift to STATS, Inc., for numbers on sacks allowed:

Adam Snyder: 9 sacks for 54 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
David Baas: 4 sacks for 26.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
Chilo Rachal: 4 sacks for 23 yards in 16 games (15 starts).
Joe Staley: 3 sacks for 18 yards in 9 games (9 starts).
Barry Sims: 2.5 sacks for 7 yards in 9 games (7 starts).
Tony Pashos: 2.5 sacks for 16 yards in 5 games (1 start).
Tony Wragge: 1 sack for 9 yards in limited duty (no starts).
Eric Heitmann: ½ sack for 3.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).

Maiocco's Blog

Those two bolded players have their replacements ready!

Trent Williams and Mike Iupati please c'mon down!

ninertico,

Thanks for the post and link! Sometime in the next few months, when someone (it happens every summer) begins to say that we should replace Heitmann with Baas, or Wallace, or Wragge, remind them of this link from MM and the stats from Stats, Inc. I fight this battle every year on the zone with people who have no idea what they are talking about, and believe that Heitmann is a liability:

"I ran these same stats a while ago in the entry entitled, "Position Profile: Running backs." But they're probably more appropriate now with the offensive line. The statistics were compiled by the NFL's Game Statistic and Information System.

Here is how the 49ers' run plays were distributed:

Left end: 27 runs (4.81 average). League rank: 24th
Left tackle: 23 runs (2.38 average). League rank: 32nd
Left guard: 32 runs (2.0 average). League rank: 32nd
Middle: 171 runs (4.84 average). League rank: 3rd
Right guard: 38 runs (5.45 average). League rank: 2nd
Right tackle: 39 runs (2.95 average). League rank: 29th
Right end: 27 runs (6.07 average). League rank: 6th

According to these stats, the 49ers had problems in the run game behind left tackle (Barry Sims/Joe Staley), left guard (David Baas) and right tackle (Adam Snyder), and they thrived behind center (Eric Heitmann) and right guard (Chilo Rachal).

And then we shift to STATS, Inc., for numbers on sacks allowed:

Adam Snyder: 9 sacks for 54 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
David Baas: 4 sacks for 26.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).
Chilo Rachal: 4 sacks for 23 yards in 16 games (15 starts).
Joe Staley: 3 sacks for 18 yards in 9 games (9 starts).
Barry Sims: 2.5 sacks for 7 yards in 9 games (7 starts).
Tony Pashos: 2.5 sacks for 16 yards in 5 games (1 start).
Tony Wragge: 1 sack for 9 yards in limited duty (no starts).
Eric Heitmann: ½ sack for 3.5 yards in 16 games (16 starts).

LT Joe Staley: After playing every snap his first two NFL seasons - the first year at right tackle, the next at left tackle - Staley sustained a knee injury in the seventh game of the season that limited him the rest of the year. He figures to be a starter for a long time. After all, the club has signed him to a reasonable salary through the 2017 season. He is not All-Pro caliber, but a team can win a lot of games with him as a starter. They also reserve the right to move him back to right tackle if they ever land a dominant left tackle.

C Eric Heitmann: He was again the team's most consistent offensive lineman, and his starting job does not figure to be challenged for another year or two. Heitmann enters his ninth NFL season. He is very good working in tight spaces. Getting out front to lead screens or plays to the outside is not his strength. He has good size and better strength than a lot of centers, which is why the 49ers feel comfortable running the ball up the middle so often. Signed through 2011.

RG Chilo Rachal: He played so poorly in the beginning of the season that he lost his starting job for one game (until injuries forced him back into the primary role at right guard). Rachal, who turns 24 in March, has the size and the strength. But does he have the attitude and mean streak to be an enforcer at the guard position? His play leveled out later in the season, but he must get more consistent. That said, the 49ers are encouraged with his development.

LG David Baas: He got off to an extremely slow start after he missed most of training camp after he tore his plantar fascia during a "nutcracker" drill in the first days of training camp. His best game of the season was easily the Monday night victory over the Cardinals. Surprisingly, he was named the winner of the Bobb McKittrick Award. He is one of the players who will likely see his chance at unrestricted free agency evaporate because of the league's labor situation, which requires a player to have six seasons of service before he can become an unrestricted free agent in an uncapped year. Therefore, the 49ers will likely tender him a one-year deal as a restricted free agent. The 49ers don't seem to be in much of a hurry to reward him with a contract extension. If the 49ers draft a guard, Baas would likely be asked to compete for a starting job.

G/T Adam Snyder: He got his wish when he asked Singletary to be left alone at right tackle for the entire offseason program and training camp. But Snyder struggled once the season began, and was moved to right guard to start for a struggling Rachal. When Tony Pashos, who took over at right tackle, sustained a season-ending injury, Snyder was moved back to right tackle. Snyder has proved to be a good backup because of his versatility. He can step in at both tackle and guard positions. But the club is looking to add a player in the draft to take over at right tackle full-time. Signed through 2011."
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Two OL, baby! Dream come true and I did cream my pants.
Share 49ersWebzone