There are 212 users in the forums

The Official Draft Two Offensive Linemen in the first round thread.

I just want to win next year
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
i would cream my pants if we got Iupati. Two OL with the first two picks would be a dream come true.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

My bad! Didn't see that one.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I also think OG is a greater need than OT.

I'd be happy with Iupati in the 1st and then an OT in the 2nd or 3rd. All the top tier OTs will most likely be gone by our picks anyways, no need to reach in the 1st round just to get an OT.

There is no greater need than RT. I think we'll address OG as well, hence the one year tender for Baas, but likely not in the first or even 2nd
I would bet a lot of money that the Niners dont select 2 OL in round 1. I think the Niners will take an OT (williams,bulaga,davis) along with BPA (Haden,Spiller,Graham).
Originally posted by TX9R:

I'd be happy with Iupati in the 1st and then an OT in the 2nd or 3rd. All the top tier OTs will most likely be gone by our picks anyways, no need to reach in the 1st round just to get an OT.

There is no greater need than RT. I think we'll address OG as well, hence the one year tender for Baas, but likely not in the first or even 2nd

Drafting a player with a day 2 pick doesn't mean that you've "addressed" your need. Yes you've addressed depth at that position, but it's not as if you automatically have the guy who will start for you for years to come. That's why I think you have to take a player with the highest upside at need positions.

[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Mar 2, 2010 at 13:11:19 ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would bet a lot of money that the Niners dont select 2 OL in round 1. I think the Niners will take an OT (williams,bulaga,davis) along with BPA (Haden,Spiller,Graham).

THIS
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Hate to say it, but your probably right.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

Drafting a player with a day 2 pick doesn't mean that you've "addressed" your need. Yes you've addressed depth at that position, but it's not as if you automatically have the guy who will start for you for years to come. That's why I think you have to take a player with the highest upside at need positions.

I agree, but that doesn't mean that's the way it will go down. For the record, you can get OGs day 2 more than any other position. Drafting number 1 overall doesn't mean you automatically have the guy for years to come either. Lastly day 2 is round 2 now.

Originally posted by mayo63:

Earl Thomas!!!
No thanks.

I still think this team is far from an OG and RT away from competing for a championship. And yes, that's what we're trying to become.....a Championship Football Team.

I'm not saying we don't need a RT or a LG (especially since they tendered Baas), but I am saying that stating we "need" two offensive lineman in the FIRST ROUND whether they're the BPA or not is totally insane and I'm willing to guarantee Scotty Mac doesn't see it this way.

I agree, but that doesn't mean that's the way it will go down. For the record, you can get OGs day 2 more than any other position. Drafting number 1 overall doesn't mean you automatically have the guy for years to come either. Lastly day 2 is round 2 now.

Good points. I also believe that OG's can be found later in the draft. This year Johnson and Jerry will be solid OG candidates that will be drafted in round 3. OG's can also be found from college OT's that dont have the quick feet necessary to play OT in the pros but have the size and strength to play inside.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Earl Thomas!!!

I think this would be the best way to go about it. Draft your immediate starter on the OL in the first round. Draft the guy who needs to learn in the 2nd or 3rd. I dont think the Niners are going to give up on Baas yet. If Alex Smith deserves a real chance to prove himself, then so does Baas.
Share 49ersWebzone