LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

The Official Draft Two Offensive Linemen in the first round thread.

So you would be pissed if we traded our two first rounders to move up to get Berry while drafting say Lupati in the second and moving him or Rachel to RT?
I just think it's important to note that in this last Super Bowl, neither the Colts or the Saints had a 1st round o-lineman as a starter. In fact, I think between the 2 teams, there's was maybe only one 2nd rounder (Saints RT Jon Stinchcomb), and that's about it. The rest of the guys on both teams were 4th-7th rounders, or even free agents.

Some might say, "well yah, because the Colts have Manning and the Saints have Brees as their respective QBs...they can get away with lesser "talent" on the o-line."

Precisely my point.

Until we get a great QB behind center, all this talk about o-lineman, taking 1 or 2 in the first round, we need a RT, an OG, etc., etc., etc., is meaningless. We can have a line full of 1st rounders and still not get anywhere without a great QB.

However, as recent (and our own past) history has shown, you can win a championship with lesser talent across the o-line, if (and only if) you have a great QB.

So go ahead and draft 1st round lineman until you're blue in the face, but don't expect much change...not until we address the most important part of the roster.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Feb 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
So you would be pissed if we traded our two first rounders to move up to get Berry while drafting say Lupati in the second and moving him or Rachel to RT?

Flawed question IMO. Can't see Iupati lasting until the 2nd. And why move him to tackle? That's a no
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I just think it's important to note that in this last Super Bowl, neither the Colts or the Saints had a 1st round o-lineman as a starter. In fact, I think between the 2 teams, there's was maybe only one 2nd rounder (Saints RT Jon Stinchcomb), and that's about it. The rest of the guys on both teams were 4th-7th rounders, or even free agents.

Some might say, "well yah, because the Colts have Manning and the Saints have Brees as their respective QBs...they can get away with lesser "talent" on the o-line."

Precisely my point.

Until we get a great QB behind center, all this talk about o-lineman, taking 1 or 2 in the first round, we need a RT, an OG, etc., etc., etc., is meaningless. We can have a line full of 1st rounders and still not get anywhere without a great QB.

However, as recent (and our own past) history has shown, you can win a championship with lesser talent across the o-line, if (and only if) you have a great QB.

So go ahead and draft 1st round lineman until you're blue in the face, but don't expect much change...not until we address the most important part of the roster.

This is correct, didn't Cleveland, Miami, and the Jets take LT with top 10 picks in the 1st round the past 5-6 years? I believe the Saints just won a SB with alomost an entire free agent team LOL, at least the stars were free agents.

You are right though, without a QB in the NFL it will be hard to win the big one. W/O a stud QB you simply need the 85' Bears or the 2000 Raven defense
You know I am on board

I am a charter member of the 2 O-Linemen in the 1st bandwagon.
We will not take two olinemen sorry..
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Flawed question IMO. Can't see Iupati lasting until the 2nd. And why move him to tackle? That's a no

How is this a flawed question? Iupati (as you spelled it, I have no idea what his name is) is not a sure first round pick unless he explodes at the combine.

So you believe we should move rachel to RT?
Draft best talent available regardless of need! We have an ass load of free agent money to address the O-line, and new and improved coaches!

If two O-linemen are the best on the board at the time, sure, but it is so much easier to fill voids at O-line in free agency, we need Pass rusher, which is something you rarely see in free agency, we need a top flight RB to complement Gore, also hard to come by in FA.
CRAZY dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb. Steve Hutchinson did not make Minnesota a better running team, Adrian Peterson did.

The Niners do need contributors for 2010, but apparently you fail to realize they got no pass rush in games that needed a pass rush and no FS help for interceptions.

A RT yes, but a Guard who played poorly in the Senior bowl is a stretch at pick 17.

If you want to keep re building instead of building draft to OL and ignore everything else. it will keep the niners on the same losing path.

Precisely my point.

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!

Precisely my point.

A franchise QB is needed.

Yours is a very respected opinion, but I disagree completely because this year we don't have the ability to draft a franchise QB worth it given where we are with Alex and there are many threads to cite so none needed for both sides. I think that Alex is the future especially in the immediate. The three powers, Scott, Mike and Jed believe he's the franchise QB...for now.

Now establishing that fact, we need to fill the RT position hands down which is the most glaring need and weakness on this team, no? Therefore one OL is needed. Why not a first round talent given where we are picking?

My point on Iupati in this draft is that some other good prospects are gone and the ones left wouldn't necessarily start because of the level of competition they would face at their respective positions. Iupati is hands down the best OG and would be a HUGE improvement to Baas, IMO.

And no, this thread is not meaningless.
Originally posted by BigBug415:

Precisely my point.

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!

One of the Colts guards was an undrafted player from Oregon, bounced around and the stuck! Sad note he was available all off season and even a few weeks into this season... we could have had him!
I am totally opposed to drafting 2 OL in round 1. I would pass on Iupati and take Jerry or Johnson in round 3. I truly believe one if not both will be available at that spot. While OL is obviously important I do not want to pass on other areas of need and lose out on potential impact players.

1A Bulaga, Williams, or Davis
1B Graham or Spiller

The Niners lack playmakers on both sides of the ball. We need SPEED on offense and Spiller can give us that not to mention what he can do on special teams. Graham can cause havoc in the opponents backfield and make our secondary that much better just with the pressure he can put on a QB. Playmakers. Its what we have to get.

I do agree that OT is a critical need and must be addressed in round 1. OG can wait.

Precisely my point.

Ghost. I dont disagree with this but I'm not sure how you can address it in this draft. I simply do not think that Bradford or Claussen are worth trading up for and there are no other impact quarterbacks.

What would you suggest the Niners do to solve their QB problem? Would you go after McNabb? Vick?
i'm with ya brothas ! if we can find a way to at least get reggie bush in free agency, this offseason would be epic. add kerry rhodes to that and i'll probably crap my pants.
Share 49ersWebzone