LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

The Official Draft Two Offensive Linemen in the first round thread.

Someone had to make one...

To start, a quote from a very notable source:

Originally posted by jimbagg:
Picks 1a, 1b and 2 should be able to challenge for a starting position immediately.

The soft spots in the current starting line-up are at RT, RS, S and CB.

Why draft for 2011 when it could be a lock-out year?!

Draft for immediate contribution in 2010.

That's it right there! Draft for immediate contribution.

That premise is the foundation of this thread. With our first three picks we can take immediate contributors for three positions: ROT, OG, and RS. The first of these, the ROT, will be had in the first two especially given the caliber of prospects. As I have said before, the best ROT caliber prospect is Trent Williams and he can start with experience and talent to man our RT position for years.

The next two picks are the tricky ones, but I believe that it will come down to two players: CJ Spiller or Mike Iupati, both of whom are my top picks for the first. I want both of these cats, but RT prospects are too good to let go in the first so now it comes down to those two.

Of those two, Spiller would bring FLASH and excitement with his playmaking ability and being able to take it to the house each time he touches the ball. We have been missing this kind of piece to the playoff puzzle for so long. I have been wanting a RS since I was following the draft with Jackson, Maclin and now CJ. So how many plays will he see as a result?

Well those touches would fail in comparison to the number of plays Iupati would have as our starting LOG. He's an immediate upgrade who can replace Baas, now. No other player in that range could do that. Not Graham. Not Thomas. Not D. Williams. Not even CJ, my ultimate favorite player. Stick Iupati in and call it a day!

With Trent Wiliams at RT and Mike Iupati at LOG we now have a starting OL like this:
Staley-Iupati-Heitmann-Rachal-Williams with backups in Baas, Snyder, Sims, Boone, and Wragge with Pashos going to follow Foerester to Washington. Wow, what a line and what depth! Finally.

With the OL set for the next 6 years at least, we can turn our attention to RS in the second. There, we can have a bevy of RS to choose from that also can contribute in offense or defense. The list is quite large there: Wright, Cox, McCluster, J. Best or even J. Ford who I think will skyrocket after the Combine from the third.

You see, that combo above would satisfy Jimbagg's statement. Sure, two OLs in the first is not the flashiest or the most popular of picks, but man, they are rock solid, very talented at their respective positions and can contribute immediately. You have the best RT prospect and a Pro Bowl G prospect with those two. That's Awesome!

We wouldn't have to wait for development. We wouldn't have to wait for them to play. We wouldn't have to wait for 2011 for contribution.

We would have results, now!

I believe a two OL first is the best choice!

Go 49ers!
[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 9, 2010 at 9:37 AM ]
  • tomahawksmith
  • Info N/A
absolutely the best draft yet...football is a brawl first...fast guys only succeed with good blocking
I've been reading a lot of the mock drafts and I have been thinking about what the so-called draft-experts are saying.

I would have to agree that drafting Trent Williams for RT and Iupati for OG is the best thing to do with the 49ers' two first rounds picks.
Sorry tico, but there is too much talent at other positions that we can't pass up just to draft 2 olineman in the first. I know our line had troubles, but considering Spiller AND Graham should be there when we pick, drafting 2 OL in the first is a little overkill to me.

Unless you could tell me Hughes will be there when we pick in the second, then it would be unwise to pass on Graham (If we've already passed on Spiller to get a RT). While I want to select Spiller AND Graham in the first, I realize that we probably are going to take a RT in the first. Fine. Just get either Graham or Spiller with the other pick.

If we want Spiller, we have to take him at #13 so Seattle cant get him, and RT at #16. If we want Graham, we can take RT first and Graham should be there at #16.

There are some other guards available in the second and third rounds that may be abe to start as well. My dream would be to get Spiller, RT, Hughes, Jerry.

But IF Spiller and Graham are not there when we select at each of our picks, I'm totally with you on drafting Iupati and a RT in the first. But Asomoah and Jerry might be good enough to start as well.
Im sorry but two rookie linemen are not going to make this team better.It might make them worse though.
Our offensive line didnt play together for much of the season and that might be the main reason they struggled as a unit. With a healthy Staley and Baas, and Rachals play improving, I can see this unit gelling next season.

I'd pick up a RT in the offseason and add some young playmakers through the draft.
I would rather have 1 O lineman in the first and 1 difference maker ala Spiller!
Originally posted by davidb:
I've been reading a lot of the mock drafts and I have been thinking about what the so-called draft-experts are saying.

I would have to agree that drafting Trent Williams for RT and Iupati for OG is the best thing to do with the 49ers' two first rounds picks.

First two picks starting from Day 1 covering our weakest positions. Hard to see what is wrong with that. Although I know the zone all want the sexy picks. But the lines are where it all starts
  • tomahawksmith
  • Info N/A
Missing the point...football is a brawl, not about hand placement or technique at first. Another option could be spiller...williams in the first and Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd as a G not OT. Maybe Huges in the 2nd or best Pass rusher and Carter Or John Jerry later for G. Bottom line we need brawlers on the line not finesse guys. Get the biggest baddest guys. Good coaching after that will improve their technique
Originally posted by tomahawksmith:
absolutely the best draft yet...football is a brawl first...fast guys only succeed with good blocking

Completely and totally untrue.

The reason why speed is important is because you actually don't need "great" or even good blocking to make it work. Even the smallest creases created, or simply getting a body in the way of a defender can help to spring someone with great speed. Alternatively, you often need perfect execution at all levels to spring a slow back for a big gain.

Now, this doesn't mean because you have speed, that you can get away with just having warm bodies on the o-line and you'll see success. Of course you want to have quality o-lineman in front of you...but to think that speed only succeeds when their is good blocking is completely and totally false.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Completely and totally untrue.

The reason why speed is important is because you actually don't need "great" or even good blocking to make it work. Even the smallest creases created, or simply getting a body in the way of a defender can help to spring someone with great speed. Alternatively, you often need perfect execution at all levels to spring a slow back for a big gain.

Now, this doesn't mean because you have speed, that you can get away with just having warm bodies on the o-line and you'll see success. Of course you want to have quality o-lineman in front of you...but to think that speed only succeeds when their is good blocking is completely and totally false.

• tomahawksmith
  • Info N/A
absolutely correct...speed can fix a lot of things. Speed is very important, and we need some. I would just pick speed later than nasty O lineman. Lots of fast guys...less Big nasty guys walking around that can move too. I think we can grab spiller and 2 nasty starting caliber O lineman in this draft. For sure a starting ROT
I like the way you think!
I think Ducasse in the 2nd is a better value than reaching for Iaputi in the 1st. So draft Haden (if he drops) or Spiller at #13, then draft the best RT available at #16. If someone like Hughes or Kindle drops to #49 (or McCluster if we get Haden), then sure, pick them up. Otherwise, draft Ducasse.
I agree. Solidify the o-line. Imagine what a solid o-line would do for us. First Gore would have better games for sure. I think it would help out whoever our QB is. We've more like Scotty has dropped the ball on the o-line the last 2 years so why not grab 2 solid young o-lineman to compliment Staley & Hietman. it's a sure thing. this years draft is loaded with talent on the o-line, especially when we pick at 16 who else would you want at 16? I wouldn't waste that pick on a DB/S which is a crap shoot.
Get another o-lineman there. Play it safe.
fact our weakest Link or links is:
First: The O Line. Our O line is pathetic.

Second is our secondary, but i think we can get a Safety in FA.
Share 49ersWebzone