LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 205 users in the forums

Exactly how much better are Bulaga/Williams than Fox/Calloway at RT?

Can someone break this down for me? OTC, MadDog, Ghost?

I'd like to know how good Jason Fox and Kyle Calloway really are, and how they compare to the mid 1st round OT's that will be available. These are the only two RT I'd like that can be had after the first round. And as many already know from my mock, I REALLY want Spiller and Graham in the 1st round, and it is realistic that they both probably will be there when we select at #13 and #16. We may be able to trade back from #16 a few spots and still get Graham (not sure I would take the risk though after his Senior Bowl performance).

So, can Fox or Calloway step in and play well for us at RT? And where is Fox projected at this point with his shoulder injury? Could we land him in the 3rd? Or will it take a 2nd to get him? I believe OTC stated that Calloway should be drafted in the 3rd.

Thanks, just want to learn more about these guys, because if they can't step in and do an adequate job, I may have to give up on my dream of Spiller and Graham and replace one of them (just one though) with a RT in the 1st (if the difference in ability is large enough). But I remember reading that Jason Fox was really good.
Getting Spiller without an impact OL seems to me like a serious waste.
Originally posted by Butter:

Not on ST's
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

Not on ST's

True. And I'm not saying that Spiller would be a waste. I'd love to have him. I think having his speed to get to the edge would be fantastic.

However, back on topic, I'd love to read others evaluations of Fox/Calloway at RT. Ideally, I'd really love to trade down from 13 and get an extra 2nd. I think the Niners would be taking a major risk hoping that Bulaga, Williams, or Davis would be there at #17.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

Not on ST's

True. And I'm not saying that Spiller would be a waste. I'd love to have him. I think having his speed to get to the edge would be fantastic.

However, back on topic, I'd love to read others evaluations of Fox/Calloway at RT. Ideally, I'd really love to trade down from 13 and get an extra 2nd. I think the Niners would be taking a major risk hoping that Bulaga, Williams, or Davis would be there at #17.

Me 2.
I like Fox a lot, I think he is a very good 2nd rd prospect. Calloway more 3rd rd. Im not big on Trent Williams and I think Bryan Bulaga will be a very good starting tackle for 10+yrs in the NFL. I think he can be a good LT and a very good RT in the pros.
If Fox was healthy, he'd be battling for a 1st round grade...no doubt about it. As for Williams, he didn't have a great year, but he wasn't a bum either. It took him awhile to get used to the left side, whereas he was dominant the year before at RT. I think he's an ideal RT prospect, who is also versatile enough to move inside if/when needed. Not sure Calloway has the sheer talent/feet that guys like Williams or Bulaga has, but he could also play inside (which helps his stock).

IMO, Bulaga would be the best choice for us. Not only could he play RT and play it well, I think he could eventually turn into a pro-bowl LT. If he had stayed for his senior season, I really believe people would've compared him to Jake Long...Bulaga is that talented.
Bulaga and Williams are much better than Calloway. But in comparison to Fox? Not by much. Jason Fox is an extremely balanced prospect who is just so polished in both aspects of the game. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in regards to the injury, and whether or not he can work out at the combine.

Then, if Fox can indeed workout, you have to wonder if he'll be rusty. I'd like to pull the trigger in the 3rd or even the 2nd if he's here -- and that's even if we take a tackle in the 1st. I don't think that would at all be "too much" depth. Even if we re-sign Sims, how much longer will he be around? Snyder was abused at Tackle. I think we need to be smart and should consider drafting three linemen. Two tackles and a guard, two guards and a tackle, I don't care. Just get our line problems corrected.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 30, 2010 at 8:20 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Bulaga and Williams are much better than Calloway. But in comparison to Fox? Not by much. Jason Fox is an extremely balanced prospect who is just so polished in both aspects of the game. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in regards to the injury, and whether or not he can work out at the combine.

Then, if Fox can indeed workout, you have to wonder if he'll be rusty. I'd like to pull the trigger in the 3rd or even the 2nd if he's here -- and that's even if we take a tackle in the 1st. I don't think that would at all be "too much" depth. Even if we re-sign Sims, how much longer will he be around? Snyder was abused at Tackle. I think we need to be smart and should consider drafting three linemen. Two tackles and a guard, two guards and a tackle, I don't care. Just get our line problems corrected.

Thank OTC. If Fox is that good, it just seems like better value to go after him in the 2nd or third round for the RT position. Maybe draft Saffold RT(i think that's his name) in the 4th as well for depth.
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Thank OTC. If Fox is that good, it just seems like better value to go after him in the 2nd or third round for the RT position. Maybe draft Saffold RT(i think that's his name) in the 4th as well for depth.

Man, that would be great if it worked out that way. I am totally on board with taking a OT @ #13 because I think that has been such a problem area for so long, but that's much better value for the RT spot.

• Nebr49erfan
  • Info N/A
I was surprised that Bulaga put himself in the draft. With the illness and such would have made sense for him to come back to school.

That being said he is a stud and after his workouts he may not be around at 13 for the Niners.

I think the Niners are committed to taking someone who can play RT. Williams fits that bill IMO. To get back on point I think there is a pretty good gap at this point between these two sets of players.

Fox only excites me as a next day pick. If you get him in the 2nd or 3rd then he has a chance to be a steal. My worry is that there is a run on OL and teams are forced to reach again. We see it every year with one position or another.

I think the Niners need depth but I wouldnt be shocked to see them fall in love with another scenario (other than Oline) and not get the OT that everyone here seems to think we have to have.
Originally posted by Nebr49erfan:
I was surprised that Bulaga put himself in the draft. With the illness and such would have made sense for him to come back to school.

That being said he is a stud and after his workouts he may not be around at 13 for the Niners.

I think the Niners are committed to taking someone who can play RT. Williams fits that bill IMO. To get back on point I think there is a pretty good gap at this point between these two sets of players.

Fox only excites me as a next day pick. If you get him in the 2nd or 3rd then he has a chance to be a steal. My worry is that there is a run on OL and teams are forced to reach again. We see it every year with one position or another.

I think the Niners need depth but I wouldnt be shocked to see them fall in love with another scenario (other than Oline) and not get the OT that everyone here seems to think we have to have.

I would be happy with Williams at 16/17, or even better, if the Niners traded down. But once again, its risky moving down and hoping a RT will be there. How big are McC's stones?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Taking any RB in the first round period is a waste. Gore is only 27 and he just gave us a pro bowl season.
  • tap11
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:

Taking any RB in the first round period is a waste. Gore is only 27 and he just gave us a pro bowl season.

Amen.
Originally posted by Hopper:

Carolina took Jonathan Stewart early in the first round when they already had a pro bowl running back in DeAngelo Williams. Taking Spiller will help extend our pro bowl running back's career. Not to mention gamebreaking speed, as well as being the best KR in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone