LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Denario Alexander in 3rd...?

What would you say to this 6 foot 5 with a 46 inch vertical deep threat that can go the distance in the third round. I can go on about my opinion of his talent but i think the tape can better explain who he is as a reciever better then i can.

He is projected to go in the 3rd to 4th rounds...

He looks good from that video. Huge, with what looks like strong hands. And enough speed/height to stretch the field.

However, WR isnt much of a need. But I wouldnt count him out completly.
NO. WR isnt a major need and there are many more areas to address
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

But he can be a very good player and he's always open because of his height, and it's not like we're wasting a 1st rounder here
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

But he can be a very good player and he's always open because of his height, and it's not like we're wasting a 1st rounder here

We have needs at OT OG OLB CB S - all of which are more important in my opinion. He didnt have a great Senior Bowl practice week either from what I read. Anyway, no chance I'd take him in the 3rd. 4th-5th perhaps.

We have needs at OT OG OLB CB S - all of which are more important in my opinion. He didnt have a great Senior Bowl practice week either from what I read. Anyway, no chance I'd take him in the 3rd. 4th-5th perhaps.

And who would you rather have a guy like Reggie Smith or a guy like Brandon Marshall? Seriously man...

And who would you rather have a guy like Reggie Smith or a guy like Brandon Marshall? Seriously man...

LOL Way to pick extremes. Just a ridiculous statement by you there.

Not really. It really really isn't. This guy has a s**t load of potential and he had a very productive season. He's 6'5'' with a 45 inch vertical leap and he had 113 catches and 1700 yards and 14 touchdowns. You don't pass that up JUST because "well we need a safety and an OG and an OT and blah blah blah blah blah". That line of thinking is what got us Kentwan Balmer over DeSean Jackson, Reggie Smith over Mario Manningham, Brandon Williams("because we needed a WR that can return!") over Brandon Marshall, etc. We need good players. Alexander has a great shot at being a very good player IMO. There for, if he is there and our scouts like him, you pick him because we need good players.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Not really. It really really isn't. This guy has a s**t load of potential and he had a very productive season. He's 6'5'' with a 45 inch vertical leap and he had 113 catches and 1700 yards and 14 touchdowns. You don't pass that up JUST because "well we need a safety and an OG and an OT and blah blah blah blah blah". That line of thinking is what got us Kentwan Balmer over DeSean Jackson, Reggie Smith over Mario Manningham, Brandon Williams("because we needed a WR that can return!") over Brandon Marshall, etc. We need good players. Alexander has a great shot at being a very good player IMO. There for, if he is there and our scouts like him, you pick him because we need good players.

Combine will be key for him. Good height and balance of talent, but he does have injury concerns.

The fact that Jones and Hill haven't stepped up, and that Morgan isn't a solid #2, means that we should be looking for an upgrade at the position. We can wait all we want, but we can't assume that they will just produce overnight.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by marshniners24:
He looks good from that video. Huge, with what looks like strong hands. And enough speed/height to stretch the field.

Not saying Alexander is the guy. However, WR is a bigger need than some may want to believe.

The Niners need good players at lots of spots that are more critical than WR. Alexander isnt what the Niners need. If the Niners were to take a WR I would want a speed burner who can really stretch the field. Alexander runs about a 4.6 40 if I'm not mistaken. I am not saying he isnt a good player but that he isnt who the Niners should take in rd 3. That is hardly the same thinking on Balmer over JAckson. Please.. that is insulting.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by marshniners24:

Not saying Alexander is the guy. However, WR is a bigger need than some may want to believe.

I agree.
I DO want a skill position player for the Niners. I just want someone who can stetch the field, has great speed, and can take it the distance. I would much prefer Dexter McCluster over Alexander in the same spot in the draft.

You hit it right on the nail. You don't pass up points on the board for a position of need. I understand our needs in other positions but there is free agency and a boat load of other picks with a strong class of prospects. And if i remember correctly one of our needs was to get a wide receiver that can take the lid off a defense.

The Niners need good players at lots of spots that are more critical than WR. Alexander isnt what the Niners need. If the Niners were to take a WR I would want a speed burner who can really stretch the field. Alexander runs about a 4.6 40 if I'm not mistaken. I am not saying he isnt a good player but that he isnt who the Niners should take in rd 3. That is hardly the same thinking on Balmer over JAckson. Please.. that is insulting.

A wr who can stretch the field doesnt allways have to be a speed burner, but someone who can out jump and go up and fight for the ball. Aka Larry Fitz or old Plaxico burres
Share 49ersWebzone