There are 96 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bigwads 2010 1.0

Yo, this is my first mock post of the year. This Zone old-timer has taken some time off from the Zone, but I have come back to lay out the ultimate off season mock.

The main issue is over the inhibitions with FA's this year. The lack of a CBA really puts a wrench in the works. I still think there is going to be some movement and the opportunity for trades.

FA + Trades

1. Julius Peppers - OLB/DE - that's right boys, Peppers and Brooks...sick
2. Josh Cribbs - WR/KR/PR - this will take a trade and I am willing to give up our second and third for him...if you aren't than you need to change your stance. He totally shores up our WR corps and gives us the return guy we need. This is our big time skill position pick up this year.

Draft

1a. Anthony Davis, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga - The best OT available. We will need to go through the vetting process to see who the best one is, but this has to be the pick here. Besides, Haden will be gone anyway.

1b. Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho - Hey, it isn't flashy or sexy and it kind of makes you go to sleep. Usually, the first round is for skill positions, but Iupati is a freak and the type of OG everyone wants. A freaking monster and reminds one of Larry Allen.

Comments

Guys, our Oline has to be fixed. The Jets got where they are with the #1 defense and #1 rushing game. They spent the coin and draft picks to get big time OL and that got them to the AFC championship with a mediocre QB. This has to be our model.

The only critique for my picks are that they are lineman in the first round, but notice that this isn't an argument, it is deflection. With the FA's and the two new olineman all our weaknesses are hedged with superior talent.

Our DB's can wait and are more than adequate. It is our pass rush and return ability that hurt is when we speak of skill positions. YOU ALL KNOW THIS.

This draft isn't sexy but it should and must be done. Fix the OL once and for all.

P.S. We need to keep Franklin too...obviously.
[ Edited by bigwads on Jan 28, 2010 at 6:14 AM ]
I like your mock draft; I think Iupati and the best OT is the concensus on the zone.

You're offseason moves I would be fine with; however, something about Peppers makes me uneasy. If we can sign him without giving up draft picks then fine (I doubt the Panthers tag Peppers again). I would LOVE to get Cribbs; however, I do NOT want to give up 2 draft picks for him.

Instead of Cribbs we can target Sproales or Bush. One of those guys should be available in FA and we wouldn't have to give up a draft pick.

Nice mock, especially for your first one!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Love yoor first two picks. Fixing the OL is a must.
I like the Cribbs move, but I think we could get him for a second rounder alone. The Browns should not be asking for more than that. You are right about Cribbs though solving our WR/KR needs and also adding a threat in the Wildcat if the Niners choose to run it.
Panthers are going to tag Peppers once again.
Heres the question: If OT wasn't a position of need, would we even consider taking one of the Anthony Davis, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga at 13?

Isn't 13 about 10 spots too high for any of those guys? Is that a good strategy for rebuilding the oline, to drastically reach for players because we NEED them? I say take the Hutch-clone but pass on the OTs whose ceiling is Staley.

You might think having a Staley ceiling is a good thing, but the problem is any rookie has about a 50% chance of busting (high-talent prospects included). Therefore with such a high bust %, you need to make sure that their ceiling is as high as possible.

Considering the bust rate is so incredibly high, you can't say 'if we draft on OT, we will be set for the next decade'.
I'm down with everything except Peppers. He concerns me.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I'm down with everything except Peppers. He concerns me.

I don't want Peppers either. I think he will get a big contract this offseason by some team desperate of a pass rush and then he will underperform for the rest of his career. I for one do not want him on the niners.
Originally posted by nannite:
Heres the question: If OT wasn't a position of need, would we even consider taking one of the Anthony Davis, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga at 13?

Isn't 13 about 10 spots too high for any of those guys? Is that a good strategy for rebuilding the oline, to drastically reach for players because we NEED them? I say take the Hutch-clone but pass on the OTs whose ceiling is Staley.

You might think having a Staley ceiling is a good thing, but the problem is any rookie has about a 50% chance of busting (high-talent prospects included). Therefore with such a high bust %, you need to make sure that their ceiling is as high as possible.

Considering the bust rate is so incredibly high, you can't say 'if we draft on OT, we will be set for the next decade'.

You are correct, if your value chart says that a cluster of Oline men that you want to draft at 13, actually falls into the 20's. A reach, pure and simple.

Than you would have to figure out a way to trade down into the 20's to take players at their relative value.

Because we have two first round picks that are close, it may be possible on draft day to see if there is a run on OTs. If it looks like a run on OTs, we might be forced to take a RT like Trent Williams. If it seems there will be enough comparable OTs in the 20's by the time we pick at 13, than trade our 13th pick to move back to the 20s and pick up a mid round 2nd. Than pick up a tackle in the 20s and take BPA at 17.

Not reaching, might land us John Asomoah OG or Brandon Graham, or Kyle Olson with that extra second.
IF this happened I'd be very happy. An added benefit would be a more rested defense. This new offense would have less & less 3 & outs, sustain longer drives and make other offenses play catch up.
Cribbs shores up our WRs, thats funny.

I want the guy but he wont help in the WR game. Dude is awesome returner nothing more nothing less
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
I love getting two linemen in the first but I don't think McC will do that.

I would be cautious about signing Peppers. His salary last year was something like $15 million. If he's willing to sign for $6-7 million and $10-15 guaranteed I'd be ok with that. We could load up his contract with incentives to make sure he's playing hard.

I also like the signing of Cribbs, though I think he could be had for a 2nd instead of a 2nd and 3rd. I think we could trade our 1b back and still end up with a 2nd rounder.
Originally posted by mebemused:
Originally posted by nannite:

You are correct, if your value chart says that a cluster of Oline men that you want to draft at 13, actually falls into the 20's. A reach, pure and simple.

Than you would have to figure out a way to trade down into the 20's to take players at their relative value.

Because we have two first round picks that are close, it may be possible on draft day to see if there is a run on OTs. If it looks like a run on OTs, we might be forced to take a RT like Trent Williams. If it seems there will be enough comparable OTs in the 20's by the time we pick at 13, than trade our 13th pick to move back to the 20s and pick up a mid round 2nd. Than pick up a tackle in the 20s and take BPA at 17.

Not reaching, might land us John Asomoah OG or Brandon Graham, or Kyle Olson with that extra second.

The point you are missing is that there will be an OT in the draft that is on Scotty's big board in the 10-15 area...that is who we pick at 13. Iupati may be a reach, so you can trade down to the early 20's and then take Iupati if that suits you but you need someone who will want to move up.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
OT and CJ Spiller in round 1. Can get a good guard in rd 2 - 4. Thats a lot of money we will be spending on 3 O-Line positions if we draft OT and Iuputi (counting Staleys big deal he just signed).

CJ Spiller and Trent Williams (or Anthony Davis if he is still there by some miracle). Then in round 2 if we cant get a solid CB or Saftey you can look at the Center from Florida or the tackle from Temple or something who both project as guards in the pros.

CJ Spiller and a RT and this offense will work next year.

DRAFT CJ SPILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
OT and CJ Spiller in round 1. Can get a good guard in rd 2 - 4. Thats a lot of money we will be spending on 3 O-Line positions if we draft OT and Iuputi (counting Staleys big deal he just signed).

CJ Spiller and Trent Williams (or Anthony Davis if he is still there by some miracle). Then in round 2 if we cant get a solid CB or Saftey you can look at the Center from Florida or the tackle from Temple or something who both project as guards in the pros.

CJ Spiller and a RT and this offense will work next year.

DRAFT CJ SPILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree with paying a guy top 20 money to be a kick returnero line is what wins games