There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Implications of a player strike in 2011

• fryet
  • Veteran
Ok, the 49ers have 2 draft picks that will want a good chunk of guaranteed money. I imagine the 49ers will be worried about a lockout in 2011 if there is not a new agreement with the union by the time that the draft comes around. So as an owner, do you tie up a lot of guaranteed money in a player that may not be playing for your team in a year? This is definitely not a year to have the first overall pick in the draft...
Originally posted by fryet:
Ok, the 49ers have 2 draft picks that will want a good chunk of guaranteed money. I imagine the 49ers will be worried about a lockout in 2011 if there is not a new agreement with the union by the time that the draft comes around. So as an owner, do you tie up a lot of guaranteed money in a player that may not be playing for your team in a year? This is definitely not a year to have the first overall pick in the draft...

I think with a lockout, the players revert back to their teams, so say we sign player A for 6 yrs thru 2015, and their is a lockout in 2011, then his 2011 salary is then for 2012, etc...

I think thats the way, but im not 100% sure.
It would be real stupid to pull that crap in this economy.
Woohoo! Replacement players!

Somebody call Johnny Utah.
someone, go sign graham harrell and have him ready just in case this happens....
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:

Or Shane Falco!
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
someone, go sign graham harrell and have him ready just in case this happens....

HARRELL FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by ghostrider:

Or Shane Falco!

That's who I meant...why the hell did I say Johnny Utah?

Or Shane Falco!

Johnny Utah is an EFF-BEE-EYE agent! Isn't it wild? Woah.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Or Shane Falco!

He'd go to the Seahawks--it's obvious that he lived in the NW in a port town.
I hope the NFL and the NFLPA take a long look at MLB and what they've been through with the 94 strike and even back in 87 at their own strike. Hard economic times plus greedy players and owners being even more greedy doesn't equal anything but losers all around.

The NFL can't be this stupid as to let this happen.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A

Or Shane Falco!

Johnny Utah was another Keanu Reeves charachter but in Point Break with Gary Busey and Patrick Swayze...Johnny Utah was also a college football star but but blew out his knee in the rose bowl while playing for Ohio State lol. Sorry I love Point Break.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
First of all there will be no player strike in 2011 because the CBA that is in place right now is player friendly and they would never strike. If there is a work stopage it will be a lock-out by the owners. This is because the owners signed a bogus deal at the 11th hour a few years back. Not siding with the owners because they are doing just fine but certain things in this deal they signed were terrible and just made worse by the economy failing.

(The problem is you also you have 5 really big douchebag owners. The rest of the owners are reasonable and I have no doubts would work something out but Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, the Kraft family, the guy who owns the Texans and the guy who owns the Titans (i think he's the 5th) are tired of the revenue sharing being as high as it is. Maybe Jones has a point because he just built himself a 1 billion plus stadium but for the good of the game these dudes need to stop.)

With that said you would have to imagine, with so many people in this country out of work, and most team still selling out every home game that they would never come to an impass like this. Could the players and the owners really be this dumb? Could they really ruin the best sport in the USA right now? The popularity is at an all time high so could they really blow it? But with that said don't ever underestimate the stupidity of professional athletes in not understanding that for the most part, if not for the NFL, they would all be working at Fed Ex or UPS.

I think, in the end, a cap number that can only increase by X percent from year to year and a rookie pay scale will get this deal done. The first one being much more important.

For example just look at the NBA. There are certain people who believe that the max deal is going to go all the way down to 10 million per year or less with the new CBA coming after 2010. Some think it may even go down to 5 or 6 million with the max length in years being 4 or 5 years. And even still the players would not have a leg to stand on if they tried to strike or get locked out. With over 10% un-employment rate in the country who is going to feel bad for a bunch of un-educated athletes making millions of dollars a year. Justified or not that will be the perception.

Ok sorry my diatribe is finished lol.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home