LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by pd24:
With that size and speed he will be good. Him and Deshawn Goldson back there would be pretty scary.

I suggest you go back and watch some tape of him.

honestly, i felt the same way but at this point i could really care less...

he is nearly the size of a linebacker and running a 4.24...COACH HIM UP.

however at strong safety your argument is somewhat dull, considering in coverage he is no worse than michael lewis, he is actually REALLY good defending the run, which is the primary assignment for the strong side...the difference is instead of a having god awfully slow 3rd level ....WED HAVE THE FASTEST SAFETY IN THE UNIVERSE..

i dont even care, if another team gets him....i will be jealous.

I think he can be effective in the box only if he learns how to tackle and that's one of those things that's hard to coach up. Throwing your shoulder at guys won't work in the NFL he has to wrap up. His coverage skills can be coached up. I still wouldn't touch in top 20 but doesn't mean he will be a terrible player.
That kind of speed with the limited INT's tells me he has poor instincts . . . which is something you can't coach-up. You have them or you don't.
This means the raiders will take him

and a possible top 10 prospect may fall to 13

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
I'm of the opinion that if you put him into a different system and coach him up, get him to really be a student of the game, he could be a game-changing safety along the lines of Adrian Wilson.

I'm not saying we should draft him, but I get the feeling that the people who are crapping on him now will be singing a different tune in a few years.

If you are right, please BBQ my crow and cover it in hot sauce.

Naw, it's not about proving anybody right or wrong...this is such an inexact science. But there are a lot of things that you have to take into consideration. The system he played in and his responsibilities in it, his personal motivation to get better and learn the pro game, the coaching he'll receive in the NFL and the players in front of him.

I'm bullish on him (and have been since last year), but I can see where people would want to pass.

Ghost. Would you or would you not take him with our 17th pick if he is available. Seems to me like you are dancing around this a bit. You are bullish on him but non-committal if you would take him. Lets say we get our OT with the 13th pick and Mays is sitting there when we draft again. Would you take him?
I'm of the opinion that if you put him into a different system and coach him up, get him to really be a student of the game, he could be a game-changing safety along the lines of Adrian Wilson.

I'm not saying we should draft him, but I get the feeling that the people who are crapping on him now will be singing a different tune in a few years.

Naw, it's not about proving anybody right or wrong...this is such an inexact science. But there are a lot of things that you have to take into consideration. The system he played in and his responsibilities in it, his personal motivation to get better and learn the pro game, the coaching he'll receive in the NFL and the players in front of him.

I'm bullish on him (and have been since last year), but I can see where people would want to pass.

I don't believe he belongs inside the top 20-25 picks. We all knew he had freakish measurables, today only confirms it.

Best thing for him is to go to a Cover 2 team IMHO. (side note would have loved to see this kid play LB'er in Monte Kiffin's D, IMO I think Monte is one coach who could turn him into a PB'er in his scheme).

I definitely agree that the key will be for him to be in the right scheme. Also, I think he'd be miscast as a pure FS, but as a SS, he could be a pro-bowler.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Ghost. Would you or would you not take him with our 17th pick if he is available. Seems to me like you are dancing around this a bit. You are bullish on him but non-committal if you would take him. Lets say we get our OT with the 13th pick and Mays is sitting there when we draft again. Would you take him?

I wouldn't take him that high because I think he's best as a SS (and I personally don't think you use a mid-1st rounder on a SS).
4.43 official time for Mays
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I wouldn't take him that high because I think he's best as a SS (and I personally don't think you use a mid-1st rounder on a SS).

I agree completely. Now, if he is there in round 2 I would think differently but in round 1 no chance in my book.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
OFFICIAL TIME - 4.43 Big difference.
Originally posted by TX9R:
OFFICIAL TIME - 4.43 Big difference.

At that size and for that position, that's still amazing.

Originally posted by valrod33:
4.43 official time for Mays

Seriously? LOLOLOL. Well maybe that will end some of this nonsense.
People should read the post I made in the Spiller thread about what is an "official" time at the combine. The point of the post is, nobody really knows how they come up with that "official" time since there are several "times" that they use to determine it (hand-held, video, team numbers, etc.).

That explains some of the discrepencies we've seen over the years. In fact, one scout said something to the effect of, "I just care if the guy is slow, fast or DAMN fast."

Mays is DAMN fast.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:02:06 ]
why is everybody acting like these KIDS when they come out of college that's the finished product it's not!!! THAT"S why it's called PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL if you see talent you are going to take that talent and COACH THEM UP IN YOUR SCHEME . this guy has talent and coach sing WILL COACH HIM UP!!!! lets go with him and GOLDSON we'll be knocking recvrs HEADS OFF!!!!!! ala RONNIE LOT = championship, come on alex!!!!!!
People should read the post I made in the Spiller thread about what is an "official" time at the combine. The point of the post is, nobody really knows how they come up with that "official" time since there are several "times" that they use to determine it (hand-held, video, team numbers, etc.).

That explains some of the discrepencies we've seen over the years. In fact, one scout said something to the effect of, "I just care if the guy is slow, fast or DAMN fast."

Mays is DAMN fast.

Sure he is but again we ALREADY knew that. We also know that he has huge flaws in his game. I just dont see what today changes at all.
This just doesn't change anything. The Niners have to take an OT at #13, and then BPA at #17. If they're going to draft a S, I'd much rather see them take Earl Thomas.
Share 49ersWebzone