Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

• pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by pd24:
With that size and speed he will be good. Him and Deshawn Goldson back there would be pretty scary.

I suggest you go back and watch some tape of him.

Well, your suggestion just covered about every team in the first. His time and other skill drills will make the coaches, not scouts, re-evaluate his film. If they see that he has the skills, he can be drafted top 10 especially with the Raiders sitting at #8.

He was the hype in last year's draft before returning to school with most scouts labeling him top 10. Then his drop off in his performance as a senior gave him a whole bunch of question marks.

There was never any doubt about his skills and physical traits.

But you knew this board would go off if he did what he did. No surprise there, but a whole lot of funny drama!

We are just like Al Davis.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Like ive been posting in the Spiller threads, The 9ers will draft Mays instead of Spiller.

You deserve all the credit

I can actually see the 49ers trading back and picking him up at the end of the 1st, along with a RT at #17.

wouldnt mind that at all
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by ninertico:
I'm of the opinion that if you put him into a different system and coach him up, get him to really be a student of the game, he could be a game-changing safety along the lines of Adrian Wilson.

I'm not saying we should draft him, but I get the feeling that the people who are crapping on him now will be singing a different tune in a few years.

You know schemes pretty well, don't ya? In our D, wouldn't he be playing more to the LOS than in center field. With Goldson playing CF and Mays on the LOS, that could be a vicious tandum.

Still, it will be interesting to see where he lands on analysts boards especially NFLDraftScout.com who I respect a lot. They still have him at #13.

Yah, he would primarily be playing the Michael Lewis role in the box in our system, but he's athletic enough to be an every-down safety (unlike Lewis) and could be interchangeable with Goldson to a certain extent.

Again, I'm not saying we should draft him, but I wouldn't be disappointed if we did. Also, keep in mind McCloughan's love for bigger/physical players.

yeah McCloughan is a believer in bigger players.
Berry ran a 4.44 and Earl Thomas just ran a 4.44 there are some fast safety's this year.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
He can help Nate catch recievers from behind.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
I'm of the opinion that if you put him into a different system and coach him up, get him to really be a student of the game, he could be a game-changing safety along the lines of Adrian Wilson.

I'm not saying we should draft him, but I get the feeling that the people who are crapping on him now will be singing a different tune in a few years.

If you are right, please BBQ my crow and cover it in hot sauce.

Naw, it's not about proving anybody right or wrong...this is such an inexact science. But there are a lot of things that you have to take into consideration. The system he played in and his responsibilities in it, his personal motivation to get better and learn the pro game, the coaching he'll receive in the NFL and the players in front of him.

I'm bullish on him (and have been since last year), but I can see where people would want to pass.

I don't believe he belongs inside the top 20-25 picks. We all knew he had freakish measurables, today only confirms it.

Best thing for him is to go to a Cover 2 team IMHO. (side note would have loved to see this kid play LB'er in Monte Kiffin's D, IMO I think Monte is one coach who could turn him into a PB'er in his scheme).
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Yes, draft him.
Al Davis' head just exploded.

He cant decide between the overrated physical freak on the O-Line (Bruce Campbell)or the overrated physical freak at Safety (Taylor Mays).
yeah no way he gets past the raiders now.
Unofficial 4.34 on his 2nd run. Wonder if there's anything to the discrepancy.

[ Edited by SacRock14 on Mar 2, 2010 at 09:35:42 ]
hopefully he goes top 12!
With that size and speed he will be good. Him and Deshawn Goldson back there would be pretty scary.

honestly, i felt the same way but at this point i could really care less...

he is nearly the size of a linebacker and running a 4.24...COACH HIM UP.

however at strong safety your argument is somewhat dull, considering in coverage he is no worse than michael lewis, he is actually REALLY good defending the run, which is the primary assignment for the strong side...the difference is instead of a having god awfully slow 3rd level ....WED HAVE THE FASTEST SAFETY IN THE UNIVERSE..

i dont even care, if another team gets him....i will be jealous.
PLEASE AL... take him at #8.
Would I mind Mays as a SS? I saw him live outrun Jahvid Best to force a 4th down, if he's going to play close to the los I'm not sure if I mind it. But I haven't watched him closely except for that game so I don't know.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by MaliCali:

honestly, i felt the same way but at this point i could really care less...

he is nearly the size of a linebacker and running a 4.24...COACH HIM UP.

however at strong safety your argument is somewhat dull, considering in coverage he is no worse than michael lewis, he is actually REALLY good defending the run, which is the primary assignment for the strong side...the difference is instead of a having god awfully slow 3rd level ....WED HAVE THE FASTEST SAFETY IN THE UNIVERSE..

i dont even care, if another team gets him....i will be jealous.

But outside of his world class freakish measureables he is not top 20 material IMHO. I wouldn't be mad if we took him in the 2nd as that would be good value for him however he will be gone by then. I think he fits somewhere in the 20-35 range and probably should be the 3rd safety off the board.

My guess is a team like Philly or Dallas may attempt to move up for him.

Just really bugs me that everyone is going all Al Davis over a kid who we knew was gonna put up those numbers.

Numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt. Haden was slow, but his stance was terrible and on tape appears to plays faster than what he timed. Spiller plays faster than his official time indicates as well, and I don't care what his actual 40 time is, I already know his game speed is world class.