LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

Originally posted by dhp318:
damn, his performance in the senior bowl has been disappointing. He's like the Vernon Davis of Safeties... muscle bound, fast, great work ethic, ultimately too stiff with poor ball skills. He seems to be more of a project physically at this point than anything, though I don't think he has a problem grasping concepts mentally. He'll probably need to lose weight to play safety or gain weight to play LB.

I honestly cannot decide whether that's a good or bad thing.
Darnell Bing, anyone?
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Darnell Bing, anyone?

Darnell Bing didn't have anywhere near the physical tools that Mays has. I certainly wouldn't want either of them on my team, though.
Originally posted by Riot:
Darnell Bing, anyone?

Darnell Bing didn't have anywhere near the physical tools that Mays has. I certainly wouldn't want either of them on my team, though.

Really? I could have sworn we were having this same discussion 4 years ago?
Darnell Bing, anyone?

Thats what I was thinking. Mays is probably a bit more gifted then Bing though but it doesn't appear that neither's game will translate to the NFL.

Mays can follow the same footsteps as Thomas Davis who was a safety in college I believe and has developed into a decent starting LB in the NFL.
I don't know. The more I watch him, the more I like him. But only if he is there in the second or later and only if we use him in the right way.

He is NOT a ball hawk. Which is fine. There is more than one way to play great D.

But, if a guy who was a sure fire top 5 or 10 pick at this time last year is there in the second, and we know he's a hard hitting S who is going to be WAY more Ronnie Lott than Ed Reed, I am fine with us grabbing him.

Especially with Sing's hard hitting approach to football. If anyone can utilize a S like that, I'm sure Sing can do it. It would mean having the CB's and the other S have more responsibility in terms of coverage, because he'd be almost a half a LB as much as he'd be a S.

But no one would run on him, he'd kill people trying to catch balls over the middle, and he has recognized his tendancy to go hit first instead of ball first and is willing to work on it.

I have no doubts that with the right coaching and system, he will be an impact player in the NFL. It's just a matter of combining his ability to adjust to the ball skills needed in the NFL to a system that takes advantage of his natural talents and tendancies.

And given the way Sing likes to play D, there is no reason to think that SF wouldn't be a great fit on that front. I just wouldn't take him too early.
So far...

6'3 1/8 230lbs 34' arm length 10 1/4 hand size

24 Reps Bench Press
41' vertical
10'5" broad jump
4.24 (First Run) and 4.34 (Second Run) - 40 unofficial. OFFICIAL TIME: 4.43

About Mays's 40 time from Twitter:

mattbarrows

NFL Net just showed simulcast of fastest 40 times. Mays was ahead of Trindon Holliday, who ran a 4.34. Mays' true time probably 4.30 ...

MoveTheSticks

I'm in Dallas on my way home. I guess there were issues with the electronic time for Mays. I talked to two scouts and they had him 430, 428

BEAST.

This guys is going to be drafted pretty high now. His agent thinks he is going to be top 10 because of the 40 time.

He would add some speed to the secondary for sure.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Mar 2, 2010 at 14:49:57 ]
unofficial 4.24 - 40. Maybe we should rethink this guy for replacing Lewis.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Yes. We should taake him at 17.
Here we go...

damn....
Impressive! He'll be wearing silver and black now. Good!
4.24, seriously? wow....
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Impressive! He'll be wearing silver and black now. Good!

THIS!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
With that size and speed he will be good. Him and Deshawn Goldson back there would be pretty scary.
Share 49ersWebzone