There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
Watching the Senior Bowl (Most Disappointing Player in Mobile Taylor Mays/S/USC: For Mays the week turned into a potpourri of skills he's likely to struggle with in the NFL; he'll struggle handling man-to-man coverage assignments and struggle making plays sideline-to-sideline as a true NFL centerfielder. Mays is still a legitimate prospect for the next level but the limitations he displayed this week will reduce the number of teams wanting to acquire him in April.) and living in Socal in USC nation - I've seen enough of Taylor Mays to speak my mind about him.

None of that has anything to do with Laron Landry. I don't think Mays will be as good as Landry, and like my original post is that is the worst we can expect we should draft him for sure because Landry is a quality Safety, the likes we haven't had in a long time.
OK, I have been quiet about my take on Mays and all I keep reading is the same issues that Michael Lewis has had during his career. Both are not ball hawks, have trouble with certain coverages, and both play very well in the box.

Am I wrong in that first off? If both truly have the same make up as a SS, then what is wrong with getting a better, faster, stronger Michael Lewis.

Naive? Well, then educbicate me why Mays is NOT a M. Lewis clone and he's no where near the player M. Lewis is.

My reasoning keeps bringing me back to the fact that M. Lewis plays a different SS role on our team than most, creeping toward the box almost every play. If that is the case, it them seems to me that Mays is a perfect fit based on his make up as OUR SS.

I could see he and Goldson lighting up ball carriers and WRs. He can cover ground very quickly and tackling you can coach up especially with Coach Singletary.

Now, I am not going out on a limb and saying I want him over others like Graham or Spiller, but he certainly fits our SS mold.

Again, am I wrong in this line of thinking?

[ Edited by ninertico on Mar 25, 2010 at 16:40:21 ]
Originally posted by ninertico:
OK, I have been quiet about my take on Mays and all I keep reading is the same issues that Michael Lewis has had during his career. Both are not ball hawks, have trouble with certain coverages, and both play very well in the box.

Am I wrong in that first off? If both truly have the same make up as a SS, then what is wrong with getting a better, faster, stronger Michael Lewis.

Naive? Well, then educbicate me why Mays is NOT a M. Lewis clone and he's no where near the player M. Lewis is.

My reasoning keeps bringing me back to the fact that M. Lewis plays a different SS role on our team than most, creeping toward the box almost every play. If that is the case, it them seems to me that Mays is a perfect fit based on his make up as OUR SS.

I could see he and Goldson lighting up ball carriers and WRs. He can cover ground very quickly and tackling you can coach up especially with Coach Singletary.

Now, I am not going out on a limb and saying I want him over others like Graham or Spiller, but he certainly fits our SS mold.

I actually agree with you there. If we draft Mays under the assumption that he is an SS only, there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, he's not a ball hawk, but if his job is to cover the box, he doesn't have to be, and most SS aren't ball hawks anyways. My only concern would be that a 17th pick is pretty high for an SS.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners23:

I actually agree with you there. If we draft Mays under the assumption that he is an SS only, there's nothing wrong with that. Yes, he's not a ball hawk, but if his job is to cover the box, he doesn't have to be, and most SS aren't ball hawks anyways. My only concern would be that a 17th pick is pretty high for an SS.

It's been reported that the 49ers safety positions are somewhat interchangeable. This is why Reggie Smith has seen time at SS when he's a better fit at FS, Mark Roman and Keith Lewis (when he was a 49er) has seen time at FS and SS - I think Roman started a game or two at SS this past season.

So the fact is that if we draft Taylor Mays, we'll be using a first round pick on a safety that hits hard and has good athletic ability, but has yet to prove that he's a ball hawk. I mention ball hawk because that's the biggest need in the secondary - CB or S - and not a hard hitter.

Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, Major Wright, and Darrel Stuckey have displayed a knack to get INTs and PDs in multiple years, and provide better value as they are attainable in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

[ Edited by GEEK on Mar 26, 2010 at 00:30:32 ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
If Mays were drafted, I'd become a Mays fan. Until then, I remain skeptical.
Originally posted by Nuns:
If Mays were drafted, I'd become a Mays fan. Until then, I remain skeptical.

Exactly

I agree with what you say but how often does a strong safety get drafted that high? Since 2000 only 11 safetys (FS & SS)been drafted in the 1st round:

09: 0
08: 1 - Kenny Phillips
07: 4 - L. Landry, B. Merriweather, R. Nelson, M. Griffin
06: 3 - M. Huff, D. Whitner, J. Allen
05: 0
04: 1 - Sean Taylor
03: 1 - T. Polamalu
02: 2 - Roy Williams, Ed Reed
01: 0
00: 0

Out of those 11 players 3 of them are great players (S. Taylor, T. Polamalu, E. Reed) and to me are worthy of a mid 1st round pick. Some of the others are borderline players meaning were they worth a first rounder?

If not mistaken 12 safeties were invited to the probowl this year (# is high bc of SB and injuried players) but out of those 12 only 2 were drafted in the 1st round. I think the thought is, you can get a quality safety after the 1st round and thats why so many other people would rather grab Reshad Jones, Chad Jones, Nate allen, Myron Rolle, and etc in round 2-4.
If 3/4 of our opponents next year ran our "smash mouth" run offense, than Taylor Mays might be a good pick. With that size and speed, Mays can hit! (Although he doesn't rap up the way he should. But that can be coached.)

But the truth is that with the rule changes, the NFL is a passing league now. Just look at the Super Bowl! Or the majority of the playoff teams, Patriots, Colts, Chargers. The Vikings have a balanced attack, leaving the Jets as the only smash mouth running team in the play offs. Is running the ball still important? Sure. But in this day and age, defending the pass is more important.

Mays will intimidate receivers catching the ball over the middle. And if he takes good angles, with that speed he could save TDs. But can he bait a QB into throwing an interception? His record says, "No."

Lastly, while Morgan Burnett and Rashed Jones aren't quite as big, nor as fast, they both have more interceptions and might still be available in the 3rd round.
Thanks Gents as I see all your valid points on Mays especially given the pass happy NFL we all admire and love. However, there was a reason he was a top 10 pick last year as a Junior.

If we already had an Earl Thomas, Mays would be a good choice, but we already have a heavy hitting FS who can play SS. IMO, E. Thomas would be a better choice given his rangy, quick skills on the open center field. Mayock says his diagnosis and instincts are the best he's seen in many years.

Thomas with Goldson would be better than Mays and Goldson, IMO.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,000 for foreign49er.
Thanks Gents as I see all your valid points on Mays especially given the pass happy NFL we all admire and love. However, there was a reason he was a top 10 pick last year as a Junior.

If we already had an Earl Thomas, Mays would be a good choice, but we already have a heavy hitting FS who can play SS. IMO, E. Thomas would be a better choice given his rangy, quick skills on the open center field. Mayock says his diagnosis and instincts are the best he's seen in many years.

Thomas with Goldson would be better than Mays and Goldson, IMO.

I'd love either. I can see Goldson/Mays being Dawkins/Lewis though.
Mays is more show than go at this point...he's an awesome athlete, no doubt about that, but he's not nearly fundamentally sound enough to be a 1st pick IMHO. Understand concerns about Michael Lewis, but Reggie Smith is ready to take over. I wouldn't mind adding another S later on, say Rolle in the 4th rd or so, but to take Mays in the 1st rd would be a mistake. CB is a more critical position, so if Singletary decides to go DB in the 1st, it should be Haden. But, I'm hoping he goes OL...and gets his OT and OG (Iupati). Whether that happens or not will be at least partly decided after Solari/Ray Brown look at their OL in the first OTA.
  • lynwood49ers
  • Info N/A
I say we take Trent Williams #13 and if joe haden and earl thomas which i feel are is to small for the nfl are gone at #17. Taylor Mays is worth the pick has great amount of upside and most of the analyst that talk all there non sense about players get it wrong most of the time anyways.Many players that were suppose be great equal bust and many players that werent end up being great. This guy has was to many abilities to pass up.
Originally posted by lynwood49ers:
I say we take Trent Williams #13 and if joe haden and earl thomas which i feel are is to small for the nfl are gone at #17. Taylor Mays is worth the pick has great amount of upside and most of the analyst that talk all there non sense about players get it wrong most of the time anyways.Many players that were suppose be great equal bust and many players that werent end up being great. This guy has was to many abilities to pass up.

• titan
  • Veteran
Mays is a big DB, He looks more like an in between LB and a Safety. Maybe if he lost about 10lbs. it would help him with his lateral movement so he can be in a better position to make a play on the ball. I wouldn't mind having Mays on our team as long as it's not the 1st Rd.
I find it amazing that all of a sudden the SS in a 3-4 Defense needs to have ball skills? Since when did the Ravens, Steelers, Pats and Chargers have a standout ballhawk SS? They didn't. Mays is the perfect fit for the SS in a 3-4 defense. He is an upgrade to our current SS. He fits the bill.

I do agree that he may not be worth a mid to high 1st rd pick. I can see a team in the late 1st or early 2nd drafting him.

I think he will have a solid career with a team that is looking for a SS.