There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

YES. He would really be so bad... in round 1 anyway. I have a bad feeling, however, that he could be the pick at 17.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
YES. He would really be so bad... in round 1 anyway. I have a bad feeling, however, that he could be the pick at 17.

Knowing how little value McCloughan places on safeties (has he ever drafted one before the 4th round???), I really can't see it.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
He does fit in McCloughan's "Bigger is Better" theme. I wouldn't be suprised if SM drafted him.

Maiacco said we wouldn't be interested. (Its somewhere in his twitter)

Take it for what it's worth:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-source_taylor_mays_ran_419_at_usc_html-201032&prov=nfp&type=lgns

Per a source, Mays received strong reviews from NFL teams this week at the NFL scouting combine.

Among the NFL brass that were high on Mays: San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary, the former Chicago Bears middle linebacker.

Originally posted by jreff22:
* Asked whether the 49ers need to find a replacement for safety Michael Lewis (concussions, age, salary), McCloughan said, no. First he noted that Lewis played well last season. Second, he said that youngsters Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor would have to step forward if Lewis were not there or could not play. He drew a comparison to Dashon Goldson's season last year: Sometimes you have to toss the kiddies in the pool and trust that they'll swim.

Link

Sounds to me like if Sing wanted Mays at 13/17 he would have to sell Scot hard on the idea and that won't be an easy task given some of the film that is available on him.

While it could happen I will hope it doesn't unless we traded down first or somehow he fell to us on the 2nd.

Maybe Sing put it out there to get some other team to bite on Mays ahead of us.
I am not on the "Mays is the worst player on the planet"-bandwagon. If we would pick Mays, it would be to be Michael Lewis' successor. This means, he has to play in the box a lot and stop the run. Mays is really good in that department. His range is awesome. The thing that he lacks is ball skills. But you can't deny, that the opponents shied away from throwing in his direction.

I don't want do pick Mays at #17 because i think other needs are bigger than safety. But i would like Mays as a player and would be ok with the decision
Originally posted by stever:
I am not on the "Mays is the worst player on the planet"-bandwagon. If we would pick Mays, it would be to be Michael Lewis' successor. This means, he has to play in the box a lot and stop the run. Mays is really good in that department. His range is awesome. The thing that he lacks is ball skills. But you can't deny, that the opponents shied away from throwing in his direction.

I don't want do pick Mays at #17 because i think other needs are bigger than safety. But i would like Mays as a player and would be ok with the decision

Knowing how little value McCloughan places on safeties (has he ever drafted one before the 4th round???), I really can't see it.

Hope you are right about that.
Originally posted by stever:

He maybe a steal at #17. Speed and power is desperately needed in the defensive backfield; even more so than a 310 lb OL IMHO. There are no gaurantees in the draft and selections are based on potential and his potential is through the roof!

Reggie Smith in the 3rd, but there is a definite trend with Scotty not drafting secondary if you consider that Tarrell Brown is the highest corner he's taken, and that was even lower in the 5th round.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
He does fit in McCloughan's "Bigger is Better" theme. I wouldn't be suprised if SM drafted him.

Maiacco said we wouldn't be interested. (Its somewhere in his twitter)

Take it for what it's worth:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-source_taylor_mays_ran_419_at_usc_html-201032&prov=nfp&type=lgns

Per a source, Mays received strong reviews from NFL teams this week at the NFL scouting combine.

Among the NFL brass that were high on Mays: San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary, the former Chicago Bears middle linebacker.

Originally posted by jreff22:
* Asked whether the 49ers need to find a replacement for safety Michael Lewis (concussions, age, salary), McCloughan said, no. First he noted that Lewis played well last season. Second, he said that youngsters Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor would have to step forward if Lewis were not there or could not play. He drew a comparison to Dashon Goldson's season last year: Sometimes you have to toss the kiddies in the pool and trust that they'll swim.

Link

Sounds to me like if Sing wanted Mays at 13/17 he would have to sell Scot hard on the idea and that won't be an easy task given some of the film that is available on him.

While it could happen I will hope it doesn't unless we traded down first or somehow he fell to us on the 2nd.

Maybe Sing put it out there to get some other team to bite on Mays ahead of us.

Maybe, good point. Smokescreens are really popular this time of year.
In a word, YES! (.....at least as a first round pick).
Originally posted by znk916:

Reggie Smith in the 3rd, but there is a definite trend with Scotty not drafting secondary if you consider that Tarrell Brown is the highest corner he's taken, and that was even lower in the 5th round.

Could've sworn Reggie was considered a CB more so than a safety when we drafted him.

Could've sworn Reggie was considered a CB more so than a safety when we drafted him.

Oh ok yeah, either way secondary isn't on Scotty's list of priorities when it comes to drafting.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

Oh ok yeah, either way secondary isn't on Scotty's list of priorities when it comes to drafting.

It could have been but had he never felt there was any great value, he was forced to wait until later rounds to address it to avoid reaching.
Mike Rumph Part 2.

Earnest, sincere, crushing hitter, played in a big-time program on national champiuoship teams, excellent straight line speed, durable, good character....

BUT, not instinctive, often takes poor line to the ball, not so adept at quick change of direction/mirroring. Missing "the quicks" needed for a DB.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Mike Rumph Part 2.

Earnest, sincere, crushing hitter, played in a big-time program on national champiuoship teams, excellent straight line speed, durable, good character....

BUT, not instinctive, often takes poor line to the ball, not so adept at quick change of direction/mirroring. Missing "the quicks" needed for a DB.

But one important thing to take into consideration is that Mays will most likely be a SS. I think that makes a huge difference as he will be more important in the box as is Lewis. With our LB's, that's a lot of speed at the front 7 when the box is loaded.

Too bad teams usually don't have many reasons to load the box in the NFL these days. Mays should try and gain weight for LB.