LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 268 users in the forums

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
He does fit in McCloughan's "Bigger is Better" theme. I wouldn't be suprised if SM drafted him.

Maiacco said we wouldn't be interested. (Its somewhere in his twitter)
Originally posted by Trajik1:
If Al Davis was there, then he will be a Raider come April

I doubt it. Davis spent a 2nd round pick on a big and fast SS (Mitchell) from that division 99 college. Remember? that pick was an even bigger head scratcher than Heyward-Bey. People were saying who the f**k is this guy?
Originally posted by Kolohe:
He does fit in McCloughan's "Bigger is Better" theme. I wouldn't be suprised if SM drafted him.

Take it for what it's worth:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-source_taylor_mays_ran_419_at_usc_html-201032&prov=nfp&type=lgns

Per a source, Mays received strong reviews from NFL teams this week at the NFL scouting combine.

Among the NFL brass that were high on Mays: San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary, the former Chicago Bears middle linebacker.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-source_taylor_mays_ran_419_at_usc_html-201032&prov=nfp&type=lgns

Per a source, Mays received strong reviews from NFL teams this week at the NFL scouting combine.

Among the NFL brass that were high on Mays: San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary, the former Chicago Bears middle linebacker.

Can you imagine the Zone if McCloughan picked Mays at 13?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Hey right on if we are, I wouldn't be mad if we drafted him, just showing what I saw in MM's twitter. IMO, if we do draft him, I think he would fit right into our scheme, well in Michael Lewis's role anyways. I also read somewhere that we interviewed Chad Jones as well, we must be targeting someone to replace M. Lewis.

Unless we replace Lewis with a SS who is more of a FS, our coverage will not improve. A more consistant pass rush will improve our coverage.

haha!

Mays would be considered at 17, only if Earl Thomas isn't around! And I am for taking Mays at 17...if that were the case.
Quote:
According to the National Football Post, 49ers coach Mike Singletary is high on USC S Taylor Mays following the NFL Combine.

San Francisco is looking to upgrade at strong safety and has two first-round picks. Still, we've got to believe they could find better value at each selection. Mays' stellar Combine gives him a better shot at the draft's top 32, but concerns about his hip fluidity and play-making ability remain.

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5760
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Quote:
According to the National Football Post, 49ers coach Mike Singletary is high on USC S Taylor Mays following the NFL Combine.

San Francisco is looking to upgrade at strong safety and has two first-round picks. Still, we've got to believe they could find better value at each selection. Mays' stellar Combine gives him a better shot at the draft's top 32, but concerns about his hip fluidity and play-making ability remain.

* Asked whether the 49ers need to find a replacement for safety Michael Lewis (concussions, age, salary), McCloughan said, no. First he noted that Lewis played well last season. Second, he said that youngsters Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor would have to step forward if Lewis were not there or could not play. He drew a comparison to Dashon Goldson's season last year: Sometimes you have to toss the kiddies in the pool and trust that they'll swim.

Link

Originally posted by jreff22:
Quote:

* Asked whether the 49ers need to find a replacement for safety Michael Lewis (concussions, age, salary), McCloughan said, no. First he noted that Lewis played well last season. Second, he said that youngsters Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor would have to step forward if Lewis were not there or could not play. He drew a comparison to Dashon Goldson's season last year: Sometimes you have to toss the kiddies in the pool and trust that they'll swim.

Link

Agreed...as much as I don't mind the thought of Mays, I think Smith and Taylor are pretty talented guys and for that role (SS), should be fine.
yeah if they could stay healthy
Quote:

Link

Agreed...as much as I don't mind the thought of Mays, I think Smith and Taylor are pretty talented guys and for that role (SS), should be fine.

I don't want the 3rd rated FS that early. Would rather wait till the 2nd or 3rd for a FS/SS.
Originally posted by teeohh:
yeah if they could stay healthy

Could be said about any position/player, really.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Link

Sounds to me like if Sing wanted Mays at 13/17 he would have to sell Scot hard on the idea and that won't be an easy task given some of the film that is available on him.

While it could happen I will hope it doesn't unless we traded down first or somehow he fell to us on the 2nd.
Share 49ersWebzone