There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by TheNinersMan:
unofficial 4.24 - 40. Maybe we should rethink this guy for replacing Lewis.

The official time is 4.43. Hand times don't count. The electronic time is official.

Not true.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12989449?tag=untagged

Caveat tester
Many different 40 times will be reported over the next few days, with discrepancies as wide as a full tenth of a second like those for Spiller, so it's important to understand where they come from.

The only listed times available during the event come from NFL Network and NFL.com, neither of which discloses how they arrive at the timed speeds.

As Rob Rang noted in his blog this weekend, beware of any 40 time labeled as "official" from the combine. Those who participate in the 40 typically run twice, and on each run they are timed by two hand-held stopwatches and one electronic timer, which is actually initiated by hand on the player's first movement.

Combine data put together for NFL teams by the National Football Scouting service, the private entity not owned by the league but which is actually in charge of running the event, includes all six of those times for each player, but no single official time. Teams and scouts don't receive that information until at least two weeks after the event.

Team scouts and coaches have various approaches for getting the 40 time they use from those six timings. Some use averages. Some throw out the slowest and fastest and then average the rest. Some ignore the whole thing and use a time taken by their own scout.

In deference to the players, NFLDraftScout.com uses the best verifiable --- or listed -- time from the combine unless it is conspicuously skewed from the other times, which happens when a hand timer has an itchy trigger finger on the stopwatch.

However, the times are usually well-grouped so a general idea of the player's speed is easily attained. As one longtime NFL scout once told me, "all I want to find out is if a guy is slow, fast, or damn fast."

The official time is 4.43. Hand times don't count. The electronic time is official.

To you maybe, but a lot of scouts trust their own times not the electronic ones.
compared to CJ Spiller, or Earl Thomas..i would take Mays in a heartbeat
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

To you maybe, but a lot of scouts trust their own times not the electronic ones.

NFL Net just showed simulcast of fastest 40 times. Mays was ahead of Trindon Holliday, who ran a 4.34. Mays' true time probably 4.30 he was just right behind Jacoby Ford who ran a 4.28
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

NFL Net just showed simulcast of fastest 40 times. Mays was ahead of Trindon Holliday, who ran a 4.34. Mays' true time probably 4.30 he was just right behind Jacoby Ford who ran a 4.28

I saw that too, that was all I needed to see to know that the "official" time was bulls**t.
If we did get him I wish they would move him to the TED Backer position he would be a beast especially if he drops into coverage, with TE's like VD coming up he would be a great asset and not have to be elite in coverage.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Not true.

Caveat tester
Many different 40 times will be reported over the next few days, with discrepancies as wide as a full tenth of a second like those for Spiller, so it's important to understand where they come from.

The only listed times available during the event come from NFL Network and NFL.com, neither of which discloses how they arrive at the timed speeds.

As Rob Rang noted in his blog this weekend, beware of any 40 time labeled as "official" from the combine. Those who participate in the 40 typically run twice, and on each run they are timed by two hand-held stopwatches and one electronic timer, which is actually initiated by hand on the player's first movement.

Combine data put together for NFL teams by the National Football Scouting service, the private entity not owned by the league but which is actually in charge of running the event, includes all six of those times for each player, but no single official time. Teams and scouts don't receive that information until at least two weeks after the event.

Team scouts and coaches have various approaches for getting the 40 time they use from those six timings. Some use averages. Some throw out the slowest and fastest and then average the rest. Some ignore the whole thing and use a time taken by their own scout.

In deference to the players, NFLDraftScout.com uses the best verifiable --- or listed -- time from the combine unless it is conspicuously skewed from the other times, which happens when a hand timer has an itchy trigger finger on the stopwatch.

However, the times are usually well-grouped so a general idea of the player's speed is easily attained. As one longtime NFL scout once told me, "all I want to find out is if a guy is slow, fast, or damn fast."

I'd have to trust that electronic time a lot more than a hand time. If it says 4.43 I believe it. Just because the player hypes himself and says he can run in the 4.2's doesn't mean he can.

He will have another chance. He can run at the USC Pro Day. He can prove people wrong there. But that will without a doubt be a much faster track than the combine.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Not true.

Caveat tester

I'd have to trust that electronic time a lot more than a hand time. If it says 4.43 I believe it. Just because the player hypes himself and says he can run in the 4.2's doesn't mean he can.

He will have another chance. He can run at the USC Pro Day. He can prove people wrong there. But that will without a doubt be a much faster track than the combine.

The downside to the electronic timer is that it goes on first movement, even if that movement isn't a stride. So the truth is, the guy can be running a truly faster time from his initial stride, but if he twitches his hand, that counts in the hand-held time.

So though it might be "accurate," it may not necessarily be reflective how fast a guy really is.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 2, 2010 at 17:23:45 ]
Quote:
Several scouts believe that USC safety Taylor Mays is more of a weakside linebacker than a true free safety. The scouts are concerned about his closing speed while working the secondary’s center field. It is the main reason why Mays has dropped out of the top 10 on every team’s draft boards

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/czar-nfl-combine-rumors-030210

Hopefully one of those scouts works for us and has Scot's ear.
our pick is out of the top 10
Originally posted by teeohh:
our pick is out of the top 10

Wouldn't touch him in the 1st at all. In the 2nd maybe....depending on what other values if any could potentially be there.
If Al Davis was there, then he will be a Raider come April
Originally posted by Trajik1:
If Al Davis was there, then he will be a Raider come April

Lol when i shall his 40 i just laughed at the thought of al davis going OOO another fast safety i can add...
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Impressive! He'll be wearing silver and black now. Good!

lol
He does fit in McCloughan's "Bigger is Better" theme. I wouldn't be suprised if SM drafted him.