LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
So far...

6'3 1/8 230lbs 34' arm length 10 1/4 hand size

24 Reps Bench Press
41 inch vertical
4.24 (First Run) and 4.34 (Second Run) - 40 unofficial. [b]OFFICIAL TIME: 4.43 [/b]

mattbarrows

NFL Net just showed simulcast of fastest 40 times. Mays was ahead of Trindon Holliday, who ran a 4.34. Mays' true time probably 4.30 ...

BEAST.

This guys is going to be drafted pretty high now. His agent thinks he is going to be top 10 because of the 40 time.

He would add some speed to the secondary for sure.

Why is the official time higher than both of his 40's. How do they calculate it?
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
So far...

6'3 1/8 230lbs 34' arm length 10 1/4 hand size

24 Reps Bench Press
41 inch vertical
4.24 (First Run) and 4.34 (Second Run) - 40 unofficial. [b]OFFICIAL TIME: 4.43 [/b]

mattbarrows

NFL Net just showed simulcast of fastest 40 times. Mays was ahead of Trindon Holliday, who ran a 4.34. Mays' true time probably 4.30 ...

BEAST.

This guys is going to be drafted pretty high now. His agent thinks he is going to be top 10 because of the 40 time.

He would add some speed to the secondary for sure.

Why is the official time higher than both of his 40's. How do they calculate it?

Read my post on the previous page of this thread.
If history has shown us anything, it's that Scotty Mac isn't a fan of drafting secondary in the early rounds and I can't see that changing especially this year with how deep the safety class is.
MoveTheSticks

I'm in Dallas on my way home. I guess there were issues with the electronic time for Mays. I talked to two scouts and they had him 430, 428
Mays broke the electronic timers....

Is there any chance he falls to the 2nd round?

He has got all the tools, he just has not been able to put it together. Let coach Sing and PWillie teach him how to wrap up.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

He has got all the tools, he just has not been able to put it together. Let coach Sing and PWillie teach him how to wrap up.
he wont fall out of the first round, a team like the cowboys or eagles will draft him
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

Not a chance. I would be shocked.

Even if Mays's tape shows that he wasn't that big of a play-maker in college, he did very well at the combine with his insane measurables and he looked pretty smooth in transitions during position drills with good hands. Coaches will think they have something to work with. You can't teach that kind of size and athleticism.

He would never get past a team like New Orleans who is probably losing Darren Sharper to free agency.
I'm A Big USC fan and they have talked about Mays for years. he had a hurt Knee but still he never really made alot of plays. I've seen him Live and more on TV. he's had I think 2 int If they draft him in the second OK .
Quote:
During drills, Mays was in poor form. As fast as he was moving forwards, Mays was terribly slow moving in reverse. It was similar to his performance at the Senior Bowl in January. Mays looked uncomfortable backpedaling during drills and one scout called his defensive back fundamentals "just bad." When asked to change direction, Mays would come to a complete stop then start up again. The contrast between Mays and players such as Earl Thomas and T.J. Ward, who lost little momentum changing direction, was striking. Poor performances in Mobile and Indianapolis do not mean Mays won't be productive in the NFL. It does mean he will be limited to certain systems that don't require him to play man coverage or make plays sideline-to-sideline. In other words Mays is likely to go later in the draft than someone with his measurables usually would.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/02/combine.dbs/index.html?xid=si_nfl

We should seriously think about taking this guy. You can coach him up to go for the ball rather than the man. What you can teach is speed, size, and power which he clearly has.

Having said that, we should not take him at 13 or 17. A trade back to 20 or later would be a must, if he's still there, but if he is i say grab him.

Having said that too, if Berry is there at 13 we grab him over Mays.

Earl Thomas is a mystery to me. Watching the combine today as seeing him drop a lot of balls. Hes not big at only 5 10 and hes young. Two things Scotty doesnt like. Scotty does like BIG players from BIG programs so he may go for it depending on the circumstances.
I watched the drills and I thought he looked as good if not better than a lot of the CB's let alone the other safeties. I don't really know what the SI guy was talking about there.

Mays' problem in college was that he tended to go for the big hit instead of the sure tackle or the pick. I can live with that because the remedy should be pretty simple.
Al?

What are you posting on 49er forums for?
Apparently Coach Sing is high on him. Dunno what the source is though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgcSrfVxF2GlD8pnXFy0zBlDubYF?slug=nfp-source_taylor_mays_ran_419_at_usc_html-201032&prov=nfp&type=lgns
Originally posted by TheNinersMan:
unofficial 4.24 - 40. Maybe we should rethink this guy for replacing Lewis.

The official time is 4.43. Hand times don't count. The electronic time is official.
Share 49ersWebzone