LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Would Taylor Mays really be so bad?

• evil
  • Veteran
Chris Johnson on twitter :

Quote:
@richeisen if he tie my forty or beat it ill pay for his plane ticket home but I'm telling u it aint gon happen

Quote:
@richeisen Man yall #killsme me w/ ths 40's stevie wonder must B doing the unofficial times how u go from 4.24 2 4.43 I made em kissdababy

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
People should read the post I made in the Spiller thread about what is an "official" time at the combine. The point of the post is, nobody really knows how they come up with that "official" time since there are several "times" that they use to determine it (hand-held, video, team numbers, etc.).

That explains some of the discrepencies we've seen over the years. In fact, one scout said something to the effect of, "I just care if the guy is slow, fast or DAMN fast."

Mays is DAMN fast.

Sure he is but again we ALREADY knew that. We also know that he has huge flaws in his game. I just dont see what today changes at all.

Probably nothing.

Teams that liked him before will still like him (maybe even a little more), and the teams that have concerns still have them.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:06:47 ]
Originally posted by Butter:
This just doesn't change anything. The Niners have to take an OT at #13, and then BPA at #17. If they're going to draft a S, I'd much rather see them take Earl Thomas.

No question at all about that.
Yea this time s**t is confusing but 4.43 is still fast, the guy made himself a few dollars today
these 40 times are bs...they showed the ghost with mays and ford and mays was one step behind...somethings up...they messed up on spillers time to if you ask me
Originally posted by Knowledge:
these 40 times are bs...they showed the ghost with mays and ford and mays was one step behind...somethings up...they messed up on spillers time to if you ask me

Re-posted from the Spiller thread.

Quote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/12989449?tag=untagged

Caveat tester
Many different 40 times will be reported over the next few days, with discrepancies as wide as a full tenth of a second like those for Spiller, so it's important to understand where they come from.

The only listed times available during the event come from NFL Network and NFL.com, neither of which discloses how they arrive at the timed speeds.

As Rob Rang noted in his blog this weekend, beware of any 40 time labeled as "official" from the combine. Those who participate in the 40 typically run twice, and on each run they are timed by two hand-held stopwatches and one electronic timer, which is actually initiated by hand on the player's first movement.

Combine data put together for NFL teams by the National Football Scouting service, the private entity not owned by the league but which is actually in charge of running the event, includes all six of those times for each player, but no single official time. Teams and scouts don't receive that information until at least two weeks after the event.

Team scouts and coaches have various approaches for getting the 40 time they use from those six timings. Some use averages. Some throw out the slowest and fastest and then average the rest. Some ignore the whole thing and use a time taken by their own scout.

In deference to the players, NFLDraftScout.com uses the best verifiable --- or listed -- time from the combine unless it is conspicuously skewed from the other times, which happens when a hand timer has an itchy trigger finger on the stopwatch.

However, the times are usually well-grouped so a general idea of the player's speed is easily attained. As one longtime NFL scout once told me, "all I want to find out is if a guy is slow, fast, or damn fast."
Sure.....with our 4th rounder.
Originally posted by TX9R:
OFFICIAL TIME - 4.43 Big difference.

At that size and for that position, that's still amazing.

I wouldn't call that amazing. It's pretty good no doubt. But amazing is VD running 4.38 at 250+ lbs and Calvin Johnson running 4.33 at 6-5 230+ lbs.

The thing I can't stand is all these prospects bragging about how they run 4.2s in high school or college thenwhen it comes to the combine, reality hits home.

[ Edited by kronik on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:30:30 ]
Originally posted by kronik:

I wouldn't call that amazing. It's pretty good no doubt. But amazing is VD running 4.38 at 250+ lbs and Calvin Johnson running 4.33 at 6-5 230+ lbs.

The thing I can't stand is all these prospects bragging about how they run 4.2s in high school or college thenwhen it comes to the combine, reality hits home.

VD and CJ's times were mind-blowing...Mays' "official" time is amazing. Btw, I bet there are a number of scouts that have hand-held times for Mays at under 4.40, and some might even have him at under 4.30.

Just gives you an idea of how inexact this whole thing is.
Originally posted by kronik:

VD and CJ's times were mind-blowing...Mays' "official" time is amazing. Btw, I bet there are a number of scouts that have hand-held times for Mays at under 4.40, and some might even have him at under 4.30.

Just gives you an idea of how inexact this whole thing is.

They showed him and Ford simultaneously and Mays was right behind him, If he isn't 4.24 he's damn close to 4.28

my only concern with mays is he's not fluid enough. very stiff in the drills. he needs to work on his footwork & be more fluid into going after a wr/ball
mattbarrows

NFL Net just showed simulcast of fastest 40 times. Mays was ahead of Trindon Holliday, who ran a 4.34. Mays' true time probably 4.30 ...
Originally posted by wailers15:
my only concern with mays is he's not fluid enough. very stiff in the drills. he needs to work on his footwork & be more fluid into going after a wr/ball

With time and coaching, that can be addressed.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
mattbarrows

NFL Net just showed simulcast of fastest 40 times. Mays was ahead of Trindon Holliday, who ran a 4.34. Mays' true time probably 4.30 ...

i pray that we dont pick mays, now i just hope carroll takes him
Share 49ersWebzone