There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Don't Draft a Safety in 1st Round

Goldson had a breakout season in 2009. He's the starting FS.

I'm not a Michael Lewis fan AT ALL, but it's probably safe to say that he'll be our starting SS next season. Reggie Smith needs to step up and take that starting SS job away from Lewis. He's a 3rd rounder and needs to realize his potential.

I don't consider safety to be a position of dire need for the 49ers. We could use an upgrade at SS, and some youthful depth, but we shouldn't use a 1st round pick on a safety (UNLESS WE CAN GET ERIC BERRY).

Taylor Mays is too limited in pass coverage and Earl Thomas is a reach at 13 and 17.

In my humble opinion, C.J. Spiller (if he's available) has to be the pick at 13. He's a perfect compliment to Gore and can return kicks for us as well.

Our next pick needs to be a RT. We can't go into 2010 with the same issues on the o-line that we had in 2009.
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM ]
Eric Berry
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
The team needs a safety, a strong safety. Eric Berry will be long gone by the 49ers first pick. Earl Thomas is limited to free safety. Taylor Mays has bust written all over him with his freakish physical skills but limited production.

I personally think Kam Chancellor would provide more value in the third or fouth than any safety in round one besides Eric Berry.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Even though I wanna draft a Safety in the 1st round, I really doubt McCloughan takes one in the 1st round. I actually really believe that even if Eric Berry were available by the time we picked, I still don't believe McCloughan would take him. It seems from the history of the way he drafts, he doesn't value the secondary that high. And now after the way Goldson produced, it gives me more reason to believe he won't select a Safety in the 1st round and maybe even the 2nd. So in the end, I would be REALLY REALLY shocked if we drafted a Safety with the #13th or #16th pick.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Taylor Mays has bust written all over him with his freakish physical skills but limited production.

Mays also has shown that he can't listen to his coaches. He laid out a receiver today in the Senior Bowl when they were only supposed to be doing ball drills and got reamed for it.
I'm a Taylor Mays fan.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm a Taylor Mays fan.

Originally posted by 49ers18:
Originally posted by dhp318:
I'm a Taylor Mays fan.

id take mays in the 2nd if he's there. goldson at FS and Taylor Mays in the backfield give us two very big hitters. receivers were scared to catch the ball near ronnie lott, i think mays size and speed can convince a few receivers to avoid him too. for a 1st? no. but in the 2nd round? come on down taylor mays
I would like to draft SS Chad Jones from LSU
I'm pretty sure we won't be drafting a safety in the first unless Eric Berry falls. Which he won't.
If Eric Berry is ther ewhen we pick and f**kface doesn't draft him.....I will lose it
[ Edited by ninersrule4 on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:54 AM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
If Eric Berry is ther ewhen we pick and f**kface doesn't draft him.....I will lose it

+1

I don't think you should ever go into a draft saying that you will NOT draft a certain position. If the right player falls to you and it's a great value pick you have to at least consider making the pick. (Crabtree, or Eric Berry if he were to fall to us)