There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Spiller v. Sheets?

A lot of guys have us picking Spiller, which would be great IMO, but we had a back like that in Sheets, again in my IMO, we let him go even though we were thin at R.B. Does Sing even want a back like Spiller? He could sure could help us in the Spread and Shotgun. Who knows where Sings head is now!
Sheets isn't in the same ballpark as Spiller when it comes to talent, top-end speed, or versatility as a receiver/returner. I liked Sheets and wanted us to keep him, but Spiller is way, way better than Sheets. Who knows if Spiller's versatility will be enough to get Sing and McCloughan on board.
LOL. You are comparing an undrafted FA to a guy who will be a top 15 pick.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
LOL. You are comparing an undrafted FA to a guy who will be a top 15 pick.

LOL. I think he is.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Sheets isn't in the same ballpark as Spiller when it comes to talent, top-end speed, or versatility as a receiver/returner. I liked Sheets and wanted us to keep him, but Spiller is way, way better than Sheets. Who knows if Spiller's versatility will be enough to get Sing and McCloughan on board.

It is not even close to compare them. I think they bring Spiller in for a visit & fall in love with the kid!
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by stevenking57:
A lot of guys have us picking Spiller, which would be great IMO, but we had a back like that in Sheets, again in my IMO, we let him go even though we were thin at R.B. Does Sing even want a back like Spiller? He could sure could help us in the Spread and Shotgun. Who knows where Sings head is now!

Wow, that's amazing that you're comparing Sheets to Spiller

Kory Sheets lifetime college numbers:
Rushing--664 attempts, 3,341 yards, 48 TDs
Receiving-- 108 receptions, 814 yards, 5 TDs
No KR/PR stats.

Didn't see any action with Miami after being released by us.

CJ Spiller college stats:
Rushing--606 attempts, 3,547 yards, 32 TDs
Receiving--123 receptions, 1420 yards, 11 TDs
Not to mention his crazy return skills.

In no way whatsoever can you compare them.

I actually think stevenking57 raises a good point.

Aside from the talent issue, the matter I see applicable is the style in which they both play. It was noted at the time of Sheets' cut that Singletary didn't see a place for Sheets because 1) he couldn't block as well as Rathman, Singletary, and presumably Raye wanted, and 2) Sheets is more of a scat-back rather than a "one-cut, downhill runner."

I am a fan of Spiller. I would love to have him on the team. The question is, do Singletary, Rathman, Raye, Schottenheimer, and McCloughan feel the same?
can you do a nate davis vs sam bradford post next?
Originally posted by austrich:

Aside from the talent issue, the matter I see applicable is the style in which they both play. It was noted at the time of Sheets' cut that Singletary didn't see a place for Sheets because 1) he couldn't block as well as Rathman, Singletary, and presumably Raye wanted, and 2) Sheets is more of a scat-back rather than a "one-cut, downhill runner."

I am a fan of Spiller. I would love to have him on the team. The question is, do Singletary, Rathman, Raye, Schottenheimer, and McCloughan feel the same?
You are the only one who got my point. Thanks!
Originally posted by smileyman:

No KR/PR stats.

The stats look similar to me, better for Sheets than for Spiller. The differences would be KR/PR skills and of course the ever present issue of pass protection which apprently was the knock on Sheets. I don't know if Spiller has developed pass protection skills but that is an important part of the process. So I did not see this as an unfair question. I think it will bear watching for the draft as well. Spiller is clearly a good runner, but does he have any skill and or desire for pass protection. Frank Gore is excellent at this and all good running backs will have this area as well in order to make it in the NFL, at least as far as the Niners are concerned.

is this a joke?

there is no way we waste any picks from rounds 1-4 on a backup RB so cj spillers name shouldnt even be mentioned on this board.

p.s. i thought u guys were done upsessing over an undrafted free agent who will never have in impact in the NFL (sheets).
[ Edited by Jax49er on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

No KR/PR stats.

The stats look similar to me, better for Sheets than for Spiller. The differences would be KR/PR skills and of course the ever present issue of pass protection which apprently was the knock on Sheets. I don't know if Spiller has developed pass protection skills but that is an important part of the process. So I did not see this as an unfair question. I think it will bear watching for the draft as well. Spiller is clearly a good runner, but does he have any skill and or desire for pass protection. Frank Gore is excellent at this and all good running backs will have this area as well in order to make it in the NFL, at least as far as the Niners are concerned.

Spiller is the second leading all-purpose yardage man in NCAA history. I think that's worth mentioning here when contemplating their statistics. Also, when you look at their rushing numbers, you need to remember that Spiller shared the ball for three years with a multiple 1000 yard rusher in James Davis, who started the third game of his NFL career before going on the IR this season. They're not comparable at all.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

No KR/PR stats.

Spiller is the second leading all-purpose yardage man in NCAA history. I think that's worth mentioning here when contemplating their statistics. Also, when you look at their rushing numbers, you need to remember that Spiller shared the ball for three years with a multiple 1000 yard rusher in James Davis, who started the third game of his NFL career before going on the IR this season. They're not comparable at all.

or you could say spiller wasnt good enough to be the man he always had to share the lead role
  • crzy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
can you do a nate davis vs sam bradford post next?

Nate Davis is better
Originally posted by austrich:

You are the only one who got my point. Thanks!

No, we get it, we just don't agree.

A guy who can break a game open, even a "backup RB," should always be considered. Spiller is gonna break open some big runs next year, and I would love to see him do it in red and gold. If Gore gets injured I don't really like Coffee and Mike Robinson as the only options. There's also that whole kick/punt return thing we weren't so good at last year, and this kid happens to be reallllllly good at that.