LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 200 users in the forums

Stever mock version 1.1

Here we go again. It's the end of january, so here is my first mock draft of 2010.
Comments are very welcome.

I had a big mistake in my 1st try, so here is version 1.1 . I picked till the niners second round pick and integrated a denver pick change because i did not know about the 2 safeties picked by them last year.

So here it is :

1. Rams Ndamukong Suh, DT
It is Suh or a QB here. But having Spags and his history with the giants dline and staying with Bulger for one more year make the best player in the draft the #1 pick

2. Lions Gerald McCoy, DT
Oline or dline ? The lions have ignored the oline in the last few drafts, why should this change ? (Btw, McCoy is a really good player)

3. Buccaneers Russell Okung, OT
Protection is the first way to make Freeman throw less picks.

4. Redskins Jimmy Clausen, QB
It looks like the skins will keep Campbell, but if Clausen is still there at #4, they must take him

5. Chiefs Eric Berry, S
Haley comes from the patriots and the patriots built on their defense. Eric Berry is special and make the defense better instantly

6. Seahawks Anthony Davis, OT
Keeping Hasselbeck alive is the only way to success for the seahawks.

7. Browns Sam Bradford, QB
They have Derek Andersen and Brady Quinn. Any more questions ?

8. Raiders Bruce Campbell, OT
No real qb option here. They take the fastest player from the combine or they will find out, that an oline is needed to be successfull

9. Bills Rolando McClain, MLB
Great value on a need position for the bills. McClain will be a force

10. Jaguars Joe Haden, CB
A shutdown corner from florida. Sounds like a match here

11. Broncos Dan Williams, NT
A force in the middle. A real NT for the broncos. There is no real nt in place right now

12. Dolphins Dez Bryant, WR
Give Chad Henne some weapons.

13. 49ers CJ Spiller, RB/KR
RB is not a real need position, but returner is. The niners need speed desperatly, the need a change of pace back and a returner. Here he is

14. Seahawks Aurelius Benn, WR
Housh didn't have the impact, he though he had and the other WRs were very quiet. So here comes a gamechanger

15. Giants Brian Price, DT
The giants won the superbowl with a great dline. They try to get back there

16. Titans Derrick Morgen, DE
The titans really need pass rushers. They are stout against the run but have problems coming to the qb

17. 49ers Brian Bulaga, OT
Here is the obvious OT we need

18. Steelers Taylor Mays, S
Mays fits the steelers style of aggressive play. He and Polamalu will be a safety combo that will create fear among the receivers in the AFC

19. Falcons Trent Williams, OT
The falcons need an upgrade over T.Clabo on the right side opposite to Sam Baker.

20. Texans Mike Iupati, OG
The interior line needs an upgrade and Iupati is a special talent. Raw power

21. Bengals Earl Thomas, S
The strong Cincinatti secondary needs a safety to be complete. Earl Thomas will make them even better

22. Patriots Jerry Hughes, OLB
The linebackers were the strength of the patriots, but now only Mayo is really good and he plays in the middle.Hughes looks like the best rush backer in the draft.

23. Packers Jean-Pierre Paul, DE
The pack got toasted in the playoffs because Warner had all day to pick them apart

24. Eagles Carlos Dunlap, DE
Another part to a dominant, aggressive defence : A pass rushing terror

25. Ravens Jermaine Gresham, TE
Finally a real safety valve for Flacco.

26. Cardinals Everson Griffin, OLB
The playoffs showed, what the cards need - passrush. Here comes a real passrusher.

27. Cowboys Brandon Spikes, MLB
The linebackers are getting older in Dallas. Spikes can be an instante upgrade

28. Chargers Terrence Cody, NT
Every 3-4 defense needs a monster in the middle. The chargers get their monster here

29. Jets Jared Odrick, DE
The jets use this pick to make their defense even better with an upgrade at the dline. Odrick can play de and dt on passing downs

30. Vikings Tim Tebow, QB
Maybe Favre will play another year, maybe not. Rosenfels can play for a year to groom his successor.

31. Saints Sean Weatherspoon , OLB
The saints are almost perfect on offense, so improve their defense. Fujita and Shanle are ok at OLB, but nothing special. Weatherspoon has tons of potential and should be an immediate upgrade

32. Colts Charles Brown, OT
In all the years, the colts picked somebody to make Payton happy in round 1. This pick will make him happy, too

33. Rams Tony Pike, QB
A little reach here, but the rams really need a qb and Tony Pike is the next best option

34. Lions Corey Wooton, DE
Another piece to a new defense. There is no real offensive tackle available at this position, so their next need position is de

35. Buccaneers Donovan Warren, CB
Ronde Barber isn't exactly a youngster , so a new cb is a need

36. Chiefs Golden Tate, WR
The Chiefs need weapons for Matt Cassel. Tate is a playmaker who can score whenever he touches the ball

37. Redskins Jonathan Dwyer, RB
Clinton Portis seems on his way out of Washington. Dwyer is a rb who can carry the load

38. Browns Patrick Robinson, CB
Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald are the starters now. The opposing WRs aren't exactly shaking in their shoes

39. Raiders Colt McCoy, QB
This looks like a raiders pick to me. Al Davis will love Colt, overlook his lack of armstrength and the zone reads, and pick him here

40. Seahawks Jahvid Best, RB
The Hawks would have loved to pick Spiller at #14, but now they get their running back

41. Bills Ricky Sapp, DE
Another part to get their defense better is a pass rusher along Aaron Schobel

42. Buccs Chad Jones, S
Another upgrade of the aging secondary

43. Dolphins Sergio Kindle, OLB
Jason Taylor must be around 100 now and Joey Porter isn't too young either.

44. Patriots Arthur Jones, DE
The patriots shore up their dline with this very active DE

45. Broncos Ciron Black, OT
Ryan Clady is a lock for years, but the right side needs to be secured, too.

46. Giants Nate Allen, S
The giants find their partner for Kenny Phillips. Another great saftey tandem is born

47. Patriots Joe McKnight, RB
Lawrence Maroney is in the doghouse and didn't do much in the last games, so an upgrade is needed

48. Panthers Damian Williams, WR
Steve Smith can't do it all by himself. Having Williams will opponents respect the pass more than they do now, what opens the running game

49. 49ers Perrish Cox, CB
A man-2-man corner who can be a lockdown type player. Has some character concern, so he falls a bit, but who if not Mike S. can get those players straight?

[ Edited by stever on Jan 25, 2010 at 10:05:26 ]
I would like this a lot better if your 2nd round pick was an OG.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
I would like this a lot better if your 2nd round pick was an OG.

Ok, lets continue this thing to the niners 2nd round pick and see who is there. I will post it later today.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by stever:
5. Chiefs Eric Berry, S
Haley comes from the patriots and the patriots built on their defense. Eric Berry is special and make the defense better instantly

11. Broncos Taylor Mays, S
The broncos need a physical safety. Mays is a physical specimen who couldn't really show what he can do, because opponents just didn't run or throw in his direction

-Haley comes from the Parcells tree not the Patriots. Pioli comes from the Pats, and both the Pats and Parcells were high on drafting for the trenches.

- The Broncos signed Brian Dawkins (albeit he is aging) and drafted 2 safety's last year. Doubtful they take another here with more pressing needs along the DL, at LB and at WR if they lose Marshall.
Ouch, found a big brainfart in my mock. I have to redo a lot ( I don't think the seahawks will pick 2 OTs in the 1st round ;) )
Originally posted by KRS-1:
5. Chiefs Eric Berry, S

11. Broncos Taylor Mays, S
The broncos need a physical safety. Mays is a physical specimen who couldn't really show what he can do, because opponents just didn't run or throw in his direction

-Haley comes from the Parcells tree not the Patriots. Pioli comes from the Pats, and both the Pats and Parcells were high on drafting for the trenches.

- The Broncos signed Brian Dawkins (albeit he is aging) and drafted 2 safety's last year. Doubtful they take another here with more pressing needs along the DL, at LB and at WR if they lose Marshall.

I still think that Eric Berry is a player you have to pick if he is available at #5. I changed my denver pick after your advise.
We don't have a problem at RB and you dom't take a kick returner in the first round.
Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
We don't have a problem at RB and you dom't take a kick returner in the first round.

There is another thread to discuss this. I think he fits some real team needs, but just read my posts in the CJ Spiller thread about that

sure we do, frank hasn't played a full year in 4 years and we have no one to carry the load behind him. and would you take DeSean Jackson in the 1st? Percy Harvin? Because that's what Spiller is an all purpose player who can be a home run threat for this offense.

CJ Spiller is special, I do not have a problem with picking him at 13 as long as we get an OT at 16/17.

CJ Spiller is not JUST a kick returner, he can take over a game like Chris Johnson does for the Titans.

Wouldn't mind that draft
Not a bad draft, very realistic, good job stever

Quick question, would you put Bulaga at RT or move Staley to RT? I think Bulaga would be a better LT prospect rather than a RT, that's why I'd prefer Williams, whose the premiere RT in the draft.
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Quick question, would you put Bulaga at RT or move Staley to RT? I think Bulaga would be a better LT prospect rather than a RT, that's why I'd prefer Williams, whose the premiere RT in the draft.

I'd have Bulaga at the right side. Look what he does there (he looked great in both run- and passblocking in the games i have seen). But i would keep the door open to move him to LT if he shows, that he can be better there than Staley is.

I'd have Bulaga at the right side. Look what he does there (he looked great in both run- and passblocking in the games i have seen). But i would keep the door open to move him to LT if he shows, that he can be better there than Staley is.

I think he's a better prospect coming out that Gallery was at the time, but projected so low. What do you like more in Bulaga compared to Williams?

I think he's a better prospect coming out that Gallery was at the time, but projected so low. What do you like more in Bulaga compared to Williams?

I like that he is quite complete. He can pass block and looks comfortable dropping back, but he can play with a mean streak as a runblocker, too. He is a workhorse, giving everything on every play
Williams is a RT who could maybe be able to play on the left side, too, but he had some real problems when he moved to the left side this year. It could only be getting used to the position, but he is naturally a RT. Sometimes his motor does not seem to be running at 100%
Share 49ersWebzone