There are 124 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Firepower draft

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Golden Tate will be a late first, early second round pick.

Kindle will not fall that far. He played very well in his last bowl game and has prototypical size to play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. Someone will fall in love with this guy.

I am still firm on the chance of drafting Iupati and Bulaga in the first, but if we get Spiller and Iupati, I wouldn't mind. But to select Earl Thomas, who probably won't even start with Michael Lewis still there, would be a bit ridiculous.

Thomas would challenge for a job at FS not SS and he could also challenge to be the nickel back.

With the way Goldson ended the season last year, I'm pretty sure Sing would leave the starting safeties as is. Now if Lewis decides to hang it up, then it's a different story. I would much rather have Morgan Burnett in the 2nd round either way. That would give us two ballhawking, hard hitting safeties.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

Kindle will not fall that far. He played very well in his last bowl game and has prototypical size to play in a 3-4 or a 4-3. Someone will fall in love with this guy.

I am still firm on the chance of drafting Iupati and Bulaga in the first, but if we get Spiller and Iupati, I wouldn't mind. But to select Earl Thomas, who probably won't even start with Michael Lewis still there, would be a bit ridiculous.

Thomas would challenge for a job at FS not SS and he could also challenge to be the nickel back.

With the way Goldson ended the season last year, I'm pretty sure Sing would leave the starting safeties as is. Now if Lewis decides to hang it up, then it's a different story. I would much rather have Morgan Burnett in the 2nd round either way. That would give us two ballhawking, hard hitting safeties.

Earl Thomas is a ballhawking safety (8 INT's this year) and going into camp yes the starters remain unchanged but Thomas would be given an opportunity to take the FS job in TC and preseason that is for sure.

Earl Thomas is a ballhawking safety (8 INT's this year) and going into camp yes the starters remain unchanged but Thomas would be given an opportunity to take the FS job in TC and preseason that is for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I like Earl Thomas, but if we select Spiller with our first pick, our second pick has to go with Iupati or Bulaga. There are a lot of good safeties in the 2nd round like Morgan Burnett who is bigger and just as productive in college. As a 3 year starter in Georgia Tech, he has 14 interceptions with 4 coming this past season and 7 the year prior.
Some people just don't view OL is important. There will always be people that want the latest greatest skill players. They don't realize there are great skill players every draft year.
Originally posted by kronik:
Some people just don't view OL is important. There will always be people that want the latest greatest skill players. They don't realize there are great skill players every draft year.

Yea I understand. Every year, people want the Mercedes, but this year, we gotta settle for the Range Rovers.

We have skill players on offense and it's just a matter of giving our QB more time and opening bigger holes for our running backs. We MUST address the o-line.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Don't get me wrong, I like Earl Thomas, but if we select Spiller with our first pick, our second pick has to go with Iupati or Bulaga. There are a lot of good safeties in the 2nd round like Morgan Burnett who is bigger and just as productive in college. As a 3 year starter in Georgia Tech, he has 14 interceptions with 4 coming this past season and 7 the year prior.

I would love to draft O-line in the first round. I'd actually love to get two offensive linemen. Here's something to consider though. What we need is a true RT, and a dominating one. If Trent Williams is gone by our picks, there aren't any true RT left that are worth a 1st round. I don't want to take a LT and try and make him play a position he's not suited for.

We all know McC's preference for not drafting guards high, so I really can't see him grabbing Iupati at 17, which means we'll end up with a RT in the 2nd--and there will be several good RTs available then.
Originally posted by smileyman:

I would love to draft O-line in the first round. I'd actually love to get two offensive linemen. Here's something to consider though. What we need is a true RT, and a dominating one. If Trent Williams is gone by our picks, there aren't any true RT left that are worth a 1st round. I don't want to take a LT and try and make him play a position he's not suited for.

We all know McC's preference for not drafting guards high, so I really can't see him grabbing Iupati at 17, which means we'll end up with a RT in the 2nd--and there will be several good RTs available then.

I think Bulaga can easily slide to the right side and play tackle. He's a mauler but he also has quick feet to protect against the speed rush.

Im with you on drafting two offensive linemen in the 1st. Williams and Iupati would be ideal but Bulaga instead of Williams would be a very good consolation prize.
Originally posted by stevenking57:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
our team is in need of speed. i would love to see okung or Anthony Davis to fill that OT spot but i doubt they fall to us. i hope the 49ers go for firepower on both sides of the ball.

at #13 if spiller is there and we pass on him it would be a huge mistake. he fills the return job and he and Gore would be a very scary combo for DC's to gameplan against. both are shifty and can catch out of the backfield and Gore can be the Thunder to Spiller's Lightning. crabtree, morgan, VD, Gore and Spiller on the field at the same time will drive people crazy.

at 17 if Bulaga is not there we need to take Earl Thomas FS Texas. Goldson plays better when he's closer to the line, he really caught fire towards the end of the year when he played in the box. if we draft Earl Thomas and let him take care of the FS duties and let Goldson lay the wood as our SS our secondary will be very dangerous with two ballhawking safeties.

at 49 we take Golden Tate WR if he falls to us. he had an amazing year and would be perfect in our group of young WR's. Crabtree, Tate, Morgan, J. Hill and Brandon Jones. if Tate is gone i think we take Javier Arenas. he's a great corner as well as a great return man. with clements scheduled to make way too much next year if he doesnt take a pay cut, walt harris future uncertain and dre bly's age we need to add talent to our CB corps.

at 79 we take Sergio Kindle OLB Texas to add speed to our LB corps. he is a little raw but could turn out huge for us if he develops some more passrushing techniques. he lives off of his speed rush and bull rush. he is 6-4 255 so he is ready to go straight out of the draft, he may add a little weight in the pros to help against the bigger OT's but i think he is a solid pick if we end up with him.

after that we draft for depth on the D-line, O-line, WR and another CB.

what do u guys think?

I like every thing you said, BUT we have to have top R.T. Right now Snyder is one of the worst R.T. in the NFL! Pathos got hurt, so in my mind he is a question mark. Even IF Pathos is the answer we still have no depth with Synder as back up. IF we get a F/A R.T. then we could do your plan.

Do we have enough Beans to get a F/A R.T......?
Im sorry but Im not on board with two OL in the first. I think we should get one OL in the first (RT) with the second pick. Our first pick should be BPA because I think there is alot of depth at OL through out the draft. And our third pick in round two I like Morgan Burnett or Reshad Jones at SS
i said at both the 1st round selections that i would select those people if a good O-line prospect was gone already. i think we do need help on the line but i think we will pick up an FA guard. we dont have the best track record in drafting linemen on the 1st day. and i think lot of our olines problems last year were due to injuries and chris foerester doing a s**tty job as an oline coach. baas played well when he got healthy, chilo finished strong, snyder played well in the past before foerester got here, heitman has been good and staley is a rock at LT. we do need another RT but to ignore the rest of our team needs would be ridiculous.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by highway49:

Do we have enough Beans to get a F/A R.T......?

Unless a new CBA gets done there won't be any upgrades available in FA.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home