LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Right Tackle?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
We on this board can argue the merits of drafting a RT with one of the 1st rounders, but I would bet good money that there is no argument going on at 4949 Centennial Blvd in Santa Clara. They are going to take a RT in the 1st round...you can bet good money on that.

Thank you. End of discussion.
Since Scott Gragg left, RT has been our weakest link. God knows how many years ago that was.

This draft has several excellent RT prospects in the first round. "Ludicrous" is the only word to describe a situation where we choose not to draft one of them.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Since Scott Gragg left, RT has been our weakest link. God knows how many years ago that was.

This draft has several excellent RT prospects in the first round. "Ludicrous" is the only word to describe a situation where we choose not to draft one of them.

This year's offensive line talent is stacked across the board, which is great for us.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
You might be right about speed. But if they draft a Tackle, and Spiller in 1st, Draft a Cb/return guy round two and Wr in round 3 they can address speed at CB, Wr and add the Rt needed
I think drafting a rt all depends on what the club feels about Pashos. If they saw enough to make him the starter then they will sign him and there will be no tackle in the first. If pashos is the man then it changes the draft stratagy dramaticly. I for one hope Pashos can be the real deal cause it would alow the club to draft more freely and obtain those playmakers while also solidifing the team.
just for the case that staley could suck again, we should draft a tackle anyway. i didnt forget his 08' season.
then, we can still draft "your" playmakers. dont get me wrong, i dont want to see the niners drafting for the o-line with both first-round picks. if very solid top8 prospects fall to us, whe should seriously think about them. but who could it be, beside a bradford/clausen and haden? oh, i'm sorry, haden would be bpa and draft need, too...that luxury. perhaps mcclain???

[ Edited by communist on Jan 20, 2010 at 19:40:48 ]
No O-tackle???? BLASPHEMY!!!!
Not saying they wont draft a tackle but if pashos or possibly another free agent they can address backup tackle in the later rounds. Iupati would be nice I also like Carter from texas tech in the later rounds.
Anybody who thinks our line is safe and sound, and that Adam Snyder is an amazing RT is a f**king retard. I'm sorry, that's harsh, but they're a f**king retard that hasn't been watching 49ers football all season.

What's the point of drafting an offensive 'playmaker' when he has no 4-star linemen to widen the holes? -Not even f**king Frank Gore can function on this o-line it's so bad, our run success was 1/4 in 'impact' plays in 2009 (we got away on whims more than consistency).

-Our line is trash, and it's been trash for almost an entire decade because some idiot GM thinks "WOW, LET'S DRAFT THAT PRETTY GUY INSTEAD AND BRING IN SOME BARGAIN-BIN LINEMEN THAT ARE LOOKING FOR A RETIREMENT CHECK!"

Michael Crabtree was the last straw, it's time to build the f**king trenches so our QB can succeed and people can stop b***hing about his frantic play within a collapsing 'trash-pocket'.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Anybody who thinks our line is safe and sound, and that Adam Snyder is an amazing RT is a f**king retard. I'm sorry, that's harsh, but they're a f**king retard that hasn't been watching 49ers football all season.

What's the point of drafting an offensive 'playmaker' when he has no 4-star linemen to widen the holes? -Not even f**king Frank Gore can function on this o-line it's so bad, our run success was 1/4 in 'impact' plays in 2009 (we got away on whims more than consistency).

-Our line is trash, and it's been trash for almost an entire decade because some idiot GM thinks "WOW, LET'S DRAFT THAT PRETTY GUY INSTEAD AND BRING IN SOME BARGAIN-BIN LINEMEN THAT ARE LOOKING FOR A RETIREMENT CHECK!"

Michael Crabtree was the last straw, it's time to build the f**king trenches so our QB can succeed and people can stop b***hing about his frantic play within a collapsing 'trash-pocket'.

Hey lighbulb, since you shine so bright how many first round linemen did Bill Walsh draft? I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a OT, but we don't need to pick three in the 1st two rounds.

[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Jan 20, 2010 at 20:25:19 ]

IMO 1st round draft picks should be used only on players that are projected to become every down starters. You get role players and occasional contributors later in the draft. With that said, an OT would have the best opportunity to break into the starting lineup and make an impact on an every down basis. If you want a playmaker, that playmaker better be able to break into the starting lineup and not be merely a situational player.

Guys with playmaker potential and game breaking ability that touch the ball a handful of times in a game can be found in the later rounds(see Ford, McCluster, McKnight, etc)...I'm not so sure a quality RT can be found as easily.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Hey lighbulb, since you shine so bright how many first round linemen did Bill Walsh draft? I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a OT, but we don't need to pick three in the 1st two rounds.

You can only get away with that if you have the best offensive line coach in the business--which we don't.

Oh and for the record Walsh drafted Harris Barton in the first round.

As an interesting side note, since 1970 the Niners have only drafted three linemen in the first round. Harris Barton in 1987, Kwame Harris in 2003, and Joe Staley in 2007
Originally posted by smileyman:

You can only get away with that if you have the best offensive line coach in the business--which we don't.

As an interesting side note, since 1970 the Niners have only drafted three linemen in the first round. Harris Barton in 1987, Kwame Harris in 2003, and Joe Staley in 2007

The point being that we have never drafted alot of lineman in the first round. I wouldn't say that McKittrick was the BEST oline coach in the business. Back then the Washington Redskins always had a great line as an example, but they were based on power not finesse. The 49er teams of the 80s/90s were based on finesse.

Point is, the O-lines of hte 80s and 90s were not stocked with 1st round draft choices (or even 2nd round).

The point being that we have never drafted alot of lineman in the first round. I wouldn't say that McKittrick was the BEST oline coach in the business. Back then the Washington Redskins always had a great line as an example, but they were based on power not finesse. The 49er teams of the 80s/90s were based on finesse.

Point is, the O-lines of hte 80s and 90s were not stocked with 1st round draft choices (or even 2nd round).

Yes. But they worked. Ours doesn't. So we need to fix it urgently. Which means at least one and preferrably two draft picks from that part of the draft where you can expect instant starters. Rounds 1 and 2. And a further, developmental guard or center around pick 5.

Unless someone has worked out a way to clone Bobb?
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

I get tired of this argument. the reason we didn't have to draft Olineman high in the 80s was because the WCO was still relatively new and defenses hadn't figured it out yet. The blocking schemes called for guys who weren't protypical size so you didn't have to draft them high. In the 90s we had so much continuity and talent pre-FA that we could draft guys later and let them sit and develop for years, then slide them in as other guys simply got old. FA killed that and put on premium on Olineman, now you have to draft them high if you want to compete. An elite QB can mask a sub par Oline, but those are even harder to get.
Share 49ersWebzone