LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Right Tackle?

First off I will acknowledge that the RT position has been a area of weekness since picking up Jonas Jennings a few years back. That saying, this team is not in the position to target one position in this years draft. It seems to me that everyone is so sure that the 49ers will be picking a lineman at either 13 and/or 16/17 and I'm not convince that's the way we should go.

The 49ers are on the brink of knocking on the playoffs door, and what this team sorely needs is more playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball. IMO drafting a tackle early on in the draft might not be as rewarding as adding a couple of impact players, reguardless of position, who can immediately help the Niners become contenders for years to come.

Add to that, our Offensive Line actually improved as the year went on, and both Baas and Rachal shook off early season slow starts to improve their play. Our QB was sacked less, and we have a young RT on the PS who may eventually develop into a decent player. (A. Boone)

This team lacks speed on the Offensive side of the ball as well as the secondary. I also think the 49ers lack of speed is far more glaring than their need to add another O-Lineman to the mix. (especially someone who may not start from day one.)

My picks:

13. RB- C.J. Spiller, Clemson
16. OLB- Jerry Hughes, TCU
Originally posted by BigBug415:
The 49ers are on the brink of knocking on the playoffs door, and what this team sorely needs is more playmakers on BOTH sides of the ball. IMO drafting a tackle early on in the draft might not be as rewarding as adding a couple of impact players, reguardless of position, who can immediately help the Niners become contenders for years to come.

The Jets took two linemen in the first round a couple of years ago and look where that got them. If you have watched them in the playoffs they are able to control the line of scrimmage and pick up at LEAST 3 yards every carry simply because of the push of the offensive line. We HAVE the playmaker--Frank Gore, we just need to get the man an offensive line. I've said this before, IF WE DO NOT DRAFT A RT IN THE FIRST ROUND, WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Jan 20, 2010 at 13:12:49 ]
First off I will acknowledge that the RT position has been a area of weekness since picking up Jonas Jennings a few years back. That saying, this team is not in the position to target one position in this years draft. It seems to me that everyone is so sure that the 49ers will be picking a lineman at either 13 and/or 16/17 and I'm not convince that's the way we should go.

Add to that, our Offensive Line actually improved as the year went on, and both Baas and Rachal shook off early season slow starts to improve their play. Our QB was sacked less, and we have a young RT on the PS who may eventually develop into a decent player. (A. Boone)

This team lacks speed on the Offensive side of the ball as well as the secondary. I also think the 49ers lack of speed is far more glaring than their need to add another O-Lineman to the mix. (especially someone who may not start from day one.)

My picks:

13. RB- C.J. Spiller, Clemson
16. OLB- Jerry Hughes, TCU

I disagree. we are only a solid OL away from the playoffs and that should be our top priority heading into the draft.

Certainly a case could be made for selecting Spiller and I would not be disappointed if we used one of our 1st rounders on him.

Hughes at 16 would be a reach and bad pick IMO. He seems like a consensus 2nd rounder. We may be able to wait and get him with our 2nd, #49 overall.

My hope for the draft is we come away with 2 new starters for the OL..

[ Edited by DaveWilcox on Jan 20, 2010 at 13:28:02 ]
Heard of the term "You are only as strong as your weakest link"

I guess you are relying on an undrafted practice squad guy. I agree somewhat that we need to add some speed on both sides of the ball, but Iupati has to be one of the picks.

[ Edited by kronik on Jan 20, 2010 at 13:23:14 ]
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

The Jets took two linemen in the first round a couple of years ago and look where that got them. If you have watched them in the playoffs they are able to control the line of scrimmage and pick up at LEAST 3 yards every carry simply because of the push of the offensive line. We HAVE the playmaker--Frank Gore, we just need to get the man an offensive line. I've said this before, IF WE DO NOT DRAFT A RT IN THE FIRST ROUND, WE WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

Just for you I'll respond: THE JETS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER 1 RANKED DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE, NOT BECAUSE THEY DRAFTED TO
OFFENSIVE LINEMAN LAST YEAR.

Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Just for you I'll respond: THE JETS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER 1 RANKED DEFENSE IN THE LEAGUE, NOT BECAUSE THEY DRAFTED TO

They also have the number 1 rushing attack in the league as well.
did you watch any serious 09-game??? we need at least a very good RT and a lot of people think that the tackles you could get in the 1st, would upgrade us at RT because snyder is too bad. you cant stick with him anymore, at least not without a prospect, who could push snyder.
next problem is that this year's ot-class got a lot of talent in the first round but falls extremely down, if you go further...so you havent any big chance of getting a good tackle in the later rounds.
if we dont draft a tackle, then we should draft iupati...our guards are as bad as the RT, at least... a push bei iupati woldnt be bad.
i think that the RB-class is good enough for drafting in the 2nd round, from our point of view. we dont need a RB that bad.
and i dont want to see drafting any pass rusher in the first. you can get sapp, kindle or norwood in the later rounds...

playmakers? gore is a playmaker, davis is a playmaker, walker could be one either...crabtree will be a playmaker...if smith gets just a little bit more pass protection, he will throw enough passes for playmaking either...i hope so :D
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

There will be some good RTs available in the 2nd but I agree with the main thrust of your argument. I would die and go to heaven if we drafted Williams and Iupati with our first two picks.
Originally posted by kronik:

1) Because they had a rookie QB who's favorite receivers wore other teams
uniforms on game day.

2) They could defend against other teams scoring points better.

3) See Number 1 again.

They have had one of the most dominant O-Lines for several years, and Thomas
Jones et al were pretty good last year before they picked up Shonn Green.

Oh, did I mention see reason number 1. I'll just mention it again.

A ROT in the 1st round is not going make the difference between the 49ers getting
to the NFC championship or not making it. We are talking about a Right Offensive Tackle, not Anthony Munoz or Jonathan Ogden.
Originally posted by kronik:

1) Because they had a rookie QB who's favorite receivers wore other teams
uniforms on game day.

2) They could defend against other teams scoring points better.

3) See Number 1 again.

They have had one of the most dominant O-Lines for several years, and Thomas
Jones et al were pretty good last year before they picked up Shonn Green.

Oh, did I mention see reason number 1. I'll just mention it again.

A ROT in the 1st round is not going make the difference between the 49ers getting
to the NFC championship or not making it. We are talking about a Right Offensive Tackle, not Anthony Munoz or Jonathan Ogden.

LOL, for some reason you think the Jets drafted 2 OL last year. They didn't. They drafted them the same year VD was drafted. Maybe that explains why their O-Lines has been dominant the last several years.

ok, lets take it more general...we need an upgrade at the o-line. in this year's draft it should happen in the first.
we have to install either a very good pass protection or a damn good run blocking...if we stay, where we are, we have the status quo=no playoffs.
no one said that a good ROT would be the difference between getting to the nfc c-ship game or not...the difference is to make it to the POs or not.
Right Tackle has to be a pick with at least one of our first rounders. Did you watch the last couple of games this past season? We were supposed to run over the Detroit Lions and the St.Louis Rams. Those two teams have some of the worst rush defense in the league. Yet, we couldn't even get a push against the Lions d-line or we let guys like Victor Adeyanju push through with little resistance. We must address the tackle position especially if we have to play against Suh next season.
If we don't get Spiller, I wouldn't be mad with Iupati & Williams in the 1st round.
We on this board can argue the merits of drafting a RT with one of the 1st rounders, but I would bet good money that there is no argument going on at 4949 Centennial Blvd in Santa Clara. They are going to take a RT in the 1st round...you can bet good money on that.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Right Tackle has to be a pick with at least one of our first rounders. Did you watch the last couple of games this past season? We were supposed to run over the Detroit Lions and the St.Louis Rams. Those two teams have some of the worst rush defense in the league. Yet, we couldn't even get a push against the Lions d-line or we let guys like Victor Adeyanju push through with little resistance. We must address the tackle position especially if we have to play against Suh next season.

Oh, believe me I want to see us draft a quality O with one of the 1st round picks. I just don't believe that a rookie ROT will be the difference between being middle of the road and being the NFC champion. Most ROTs in this league are one of either two things. Either a player who was drafted too high as a LOT, or one that was drafted a little later and grew into a solid ROT.

I do remember a couple of teams that drafted the can't miss LOT of the future and now they are playing OG for teams, e.g. Gallery and Leonard Davis.

For that matter we never drafted Adam Snyder as OT, we drafted him as a OG.

When I see the words "must" or "have to" I alway find them mutually exclusive when it comes to the draft.

For the position that we have a lot of talented playmakers, let be realistic.

We have a RB who is very good and misses about 2 to 3 games a season.
Yup, he makes some long TD runs, but he's not going to out run or juke most
players in a one-on-one contest.

We have a TE that makes world class catches for touchdowns, but misses
other catches that bounce off his hands. Also, he's non-existent as the
hot read on blitzes.

We have Crabtree who can grow into a heck of a possession receiver given more
time with the team, but he's not the deep threat that other teams have.

Now we come to D. Walker, Morgan and maybe throw in J. Hill.

Walker makes a good play or two every game, but he's not a featured
playmaker that other teams have to game plan against.

Morgan, he's done a good job for a 6th round pick but he's been non-existent
in alot of games. J. Hill has great track speed, but it doesn't transition to the
football field. Since we are in the "weak" NFC West I'll use our competition as
a guide. Right now, these guys would have a hard time cracking the Cardinals
lineup as a 4th receiver, ala Jermy Urban.

So where is this wealth of playmakers you were talking about? Oh, and do any of
then return kicks (yea, I know that Morgan was forced in that role, but he's no Breaston).

Why not try a little realism on for size. It might help.

[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Jan 20, 2010 at 14:02:11 ]
Share 49ersWebzone