LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

With 53 underclassmen declaring we have to trade down

The odds just went up for the Niners trading down. The sweet spot in this draft will be from the 16th pick until the end of the 3rd round.

I say keep your first pick and select the best tackle and trade down with the second pick and pick up a couple of high seconds if possible.

Quarterbacks (3)
Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame
Jevan Snead, Mississippi

Running backs (6)
Jahvid Best, Cal
Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
Darius Marshall, Marshall
Ryan Mathews, Fresno State
Joe McKnight, USC
Shawnbrey McNeal, Southern Methodist

Wide receivers (9)
Arrelious Benn, Illinois
Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas
Antonio Brown, Central Michigan
Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State
Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
Golden Tate, Notre Dame
Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
Damian Williams, USC
Mike Williams, Syracus

Tight ends (3)
Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
Rob Gonkowski, Arizona
Aaron Hernandez, Florida

Tackles (3)
Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
Bruce Campbell, Maryland
Anthony Davis, Rutgers

Center (1)
Maurkice Pouncey, Florida

Defensive ends (8)
Kevin Basped, Nevada
Carlos Dunlap, Florida
Clifton Geathers, South Carolina
Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
Everson Griffen, USC
Derrick Morgan, Georgia Tech
Jason Paul-Pierre, South Florida
Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech

Defensive tackles (3)
Linval Joseph, East Carolina
Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma
Brian Price, UCLA

Linebackers (3)
Navorro Bowman, Penn State
Rennie Curran, Georgia
Rolando McClain, Alabama

Defensive backs (14)
Eric Berry, Tennessee
Morgan Burnett, Georgia Tech
Dominique Franks, Oklahoma
Joe Haden, Florida
Kareem Jackson, Alabama
Chad Jones, LSU
Rashad Jones, Georgia
Joshua Moore, Kansas State
Jerell Norton, Arkansas
Dennis Rogan, Tennessee
Amari Spievey, Iowa
Earl Thomas, Texas
Donovan Warren, Michigan
Major Wright, Florida
Where is Joe McKnight projected?

I see many of these players easily falling to the 2nd day.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Where is Joe McKnight projected?

I see many of these players easily falling to the 2nd day.

To the USC-Hawks.
Or we can trade picks from next year (2011) for picks this year. I would be up for trading our first rounder next year for an early second rounder this year.
In order to trade down, we have to find a team who wishes to trade up. And, preferrably, hasn't read any newspapers!
We need a few good players, not a lot of mediocre players. I would prefer to stay put or even combine later draft picks to move back into the 1st or early 2nd in order get a few good players who can start and contribute next year..

I think we are only 2 or 3 players away from playoffs, and would like to see us address the OL as the top priority.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
We need a few good players, not a lot of mediocre players. I would prefer to stay put or even combine later draft picks to move back into the 1st or early 2nd in order get a few good players who can start and contribute next year..

I think we are only 2 or 3 players away from playoffs, and would like to see us address the OL as the top priority.

This I agree with.
Originally posted by English:
In order to trade down, we have to find a team who wishes to trade up. And, preferrably, hasn't read any newspapers!

Do people still read newspapers?
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Or we can trade picks from next year (2011) for picks this year. I would be up for trading our first rounder next year for an early second rounder this year.

The next draft will likely be the first with a rookie salary cap. That means that first round picks will be WAY more valuable. If we're going to give up our 2011 first then we better get a king's ransom in return.
If the Niners could draft an impact RT at #16/17, than a trade down is a no brainer. I know it seems like a risk, but I just have a hard time imagining that one of those "big uglies" won't fall to the mid first round. Its not like they have to land a Pro-Bowl caliber LT here, they just need a strong RT prospect. Sometimes it seems like using a 1st rounder at all is over-paying a bit.

I don't believe we should. By doing so, we'd be MISSING OUT on the top talent that is available.

These underclassmen are players that are coming out specifically because they are graded so highly and figure to be taken with the high picks. We do not need to stockpile picks for "depth" -- we need instant impact players and starters, and we need them NOW.

I am absolutely opposed to trading down because there are too many excellent players that we need here that will be available at every one of our picks. We should only trade down if the player we want/need is not there. Scot won't trade down unless that's the case -- i.e. the Everette Brown scenario last year. He didn't see the value, and traded the pick.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 19, 2010 at 15:07:44 ]
The only reason I could see trading down is if the Niners can get HUGE future value in return. I agree with Dave Wilcox and OTC that the time is now to get the players the Niners need to get back into the playoffs. Unless someone is giving up the house with a pick this year and multiple picks for subsequent drafts, the Niners should stay where they are.
The reason I believe we should trade down is that there is a lot of talent

18 - 49 that is probably borderline first.....these players on the BPA might be hard to take at 17 like

Bulaga, Spikes, Best, Earl Thomas

So if we can trade down to get a late first and an additional second round pick. I think we can still get those impact players. I think with all of our needs we might need another pick.

Needs being: OT, S, Corner, Kick returner /Slot/ Deep threat RB or WR, Middle Linebacker
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't believe we should. By doing so, we'd be MISSING OUT on the top talent that is available.

These underclassmen are players that are coming out specifically because they are graded so highly and figure to be taken with the high picks. We do not need to stockpile picks for "depth" -- we need instant impact players and starters, and we need them NOW.

I am absolutely opposed to trading down because there are too many excellent players that we need here that will be available at every one of our picks. We should only trade down if the player we want/need is not there. Scot won't trade down unless that's the case -- i.e. the Everette Brown scenario last year. He didn't see the value, and traded the pick.

In addition, we saw what having a raw player like Rachal can do to the offensive line performance. I'd prefer seniors over juniors with both of our 1st round picks.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by English:

Do people still read newspapers?

New..Newspaper?? Is there an oldspaper? And what is a spaper?
Share 49ersWebzone