There are 234 users in the forums

My first 7 round mock

Without any significant FA acquisitions and simply keeping the current players scheduled to become RFA, here is my first mock draft:

1a. Trent Williams OT- Addresses the most glaring need of the team. Paired with Staley, sets the team up for years of solid protection no matter who the QB of the future turns out to be.
1b. Mike Iupati OG- Provides an imposing force in the middle of the field that will bolster the running game and provide better protection in the middle.
2. Jerry Hughes OLB- Addresses pass rush, as Hughes can come in and become part of the platoon of OLBs that rotate in.
3. Javier Arenas CB/KR/PR- Becomes an instant threat on special teams while providing much needed depth behind Clements, Spencer, and Brown. An athletic dime back that can match up with team's 4th receiver.
4. Joe McKnight RB- Far less productive in college than expected. Has some physical skills to work with and could fit in well in spread situations. Provides a different element to the running game than Gore and Coffee. Draft stock is hurt by lack of productivity and a little bit of baggage.
5. Myron Rolle S- Provides depth at the safety position, especially for the aging Michael Lewis. Great instincts and smarts may overcome his lack of elite speed at the SS position. Immediate upgrade over Mark Roman.
6. Cam Thomas DT- Adds depth to defensive front. Excellent size at 6'3" and 320 lbs.
7. Joe Pawalek ILB- Adds depth behind Willis and Spikes. Player has shown he can be a tackling machine that plays with good physicality. At best a future TED. At worst, quality depth and special teams guy.

FS was not addressed as Goldson is given one more year as a starter as he appeared to develop a lot over the last few games of the season. The team will also see if Reggie Smith ever gets over the injury bug to become a contributor outside of preseason.

No QB was drafted as the team sticks with Smith for a season and continue to groom Nate Davis to see what they have in him.
joe mcknight ! i like the draft
I like your draft. I wish you selected a tackle that can play the left side as well (if Staley gets hurt). I don't want our playoff chances to rely on a 35 yr old free agent LT.
Originally posted by kronik:
I like your draft. I wish you selected a tackle that can play the left side as well (if Staley gets hurt). I don't want our playoff chances to rely on a 35 yr old free agent LT.

Fair enough. I initially placed Anthony Davis in the spot but I had a feeling he's going to climb up draft boards for whatever reason. I can understand those that like Bulaga better than Williams though. As long as the niners select a tackle I will be largely satisfied.
I doubt Arenas will last to the 3rd round. Most have him going mid to late 2nd round.
like darthniner said, most have Arenas in the 2nd, but if he doesnt run fast or have a good 40, then yeah 3rd is possibilty.

But id be hapy with this draft. If we got Davis, Williams or Bulaga id be happy.
Nice work! Offensive line is the priority and you get value all the way through.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Nice work! Offensive line is the priority and you get value all the way through.

This, nice work.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
like darthniner said, most have Arenas in the 2nd, but if he doesnt run fast or have a good 40, then yeah 3rd is possibilty.

But I'd be happy with this draft. If we got Davis, Williams or Bulaga I'd be happy.

I concur. I believe we would have to get Javier Arenas by our 2nd round pick, he won't last until our 3rd. I like the kid. Overall, job well done!
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'm being a bit too hopeful in thinking Arenas can last til the third with either a less than ideal combine or by measuring in at less than 5'9" which I think he might.

Any chance Hughes can last til the third? I like his potential for making the transition to 3-4 OLB. Maybe someone like Jermaine Cunningham or George Selvie could be had to fill that role in the third? I also like Dexter Davis though I think he could be had later than in the third.

• tap11
  • Veteran
Outstanding draft, though I hope Brandon Graham lasts until the second as I would prefer him to Hughes.
Originally posted by thejackal25:
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'm being a bit too hopeful in thinking Arenas can last til the third with either a less than ideal combine or by measuring in at less than 5'9" which I think he might.

Any chance Hughes can last til the third? I like his potential for making the transition to 3-4 OLB. Maybe someone like Jermaine Cunningham or George Selvie could be had to fill that role in the third? I also like Dexter Davis though I think he could be had later than in the third.

May I suggest that you take a look at South Carolina's Eric Norwood. I hear he's an ideal fit as a 3-4 OLB.
Originally posted by thejackal25:

At this point, we're all pissing in the wind really as there's no saying who drops and rises unitl the Combine is done. I like the mock a lot and Arenas is going to be one of these guys who with a good combine, could shoot him into the bottom of R1/top of R2 or with an average combine, drops him down to bottom 2/3.

A lot of us were high on the OT out of South Carolina last year, Meredith, and a lot of talk that, he'll never drop past 3 and was touted as high as 2, yet he landed up drafted in the 5th or 6th round I think it was last year, so nobody is really sure what is going to happen at this point I'd say.

Keep up the good work though, one of the better mocks I've seen to date.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like your first two picks, two OL with the first two picks is a must.
I like it a lot. I don't think Hughes will last that long but who the hell knows.
Share 49ersWebzone