LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 425 users in the forums

Trade Down from 13?

• pdavila21
  • Info N/A
agree... New England needs to get a real running back. With everyone on here wanting CJ Spiller (i personally believe we need better OL over fast RB) i hope the Pats make a trade with us to move up and take Spiller at #13. The Pats 1st round pick will be 21 or 22 if i am correct and they have multiple 2nd round picks. Based on value chart we would have to give additional pick (likely 3rd rounder) to ask for their highest 2nd rounder- 44. we can ask for either their middle or later 2nd round pick.

that would enable the following:
16/17th overall pick: Bryan Bulaga OT
21/22 overall pick: Mike Iupati OG
47th overall (49ers' 2nd rd): best defense player that falls through cracks
49th or 53ish (Pats' 2nd rd): Jordan Shipley, Javier Arenas, or Mardy Gilyard
Stay put and add some talent, we have a chance to add TWO starters with our first rounders, if we trade up OR down I'm gonna be disappointed, we dont need to make any moves IMO, I like our chances with 13 & 16
why would you trade BACK in this draft?
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Exactly ...but stranger things have happened
I can't automatically reject the idea. Obviously it depends upon who's on the board and how many picks we can fleece the other team for.

It's an option.

How's that for a penetrating glimpse into the obvious?

[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 13, 2010 at 10:52:55 ]
Nobody is going to care if #13 & #17 was "too high" to take a ROT & OG next year if it fixes our OL.

Stay put and take the guys we need. There's no reason to miss out on fixing the OL for the 5th straight year.
I think it's better that we trade up to take a top tiered offensive tackle.
I hear the fans that are against trading back. I think of the year that TDon moved back too many times and missed out on Vince Wilfork for that WR that didn't work out...what's his name again.

I guess it's just my long standing opinion that RT and OG should/can be drafted later. But if the Niners have access to players that can fix two of their biggest holes, it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

As much as I would love to see them trade back and still get the right players, I'd HATE to see them move back, miss out on any RT prospects, and have to settle for whats already on the roster...again.

Because it's a deep draft, and you get TWO good players instead of one.
Originally posted by pdavila21:
agree... New England needs to get a real running back. With everyone on here wanting CJ Spiller (i personally believe we need better OL over fast RB) i hope the Pats make a trade with us to move up and take Spiller at #13. The Pats 1st round pick will be 21 or 22 if i am correct and they have multiple 2nd round picks. Based on value chart we would have to give additional pick (likely 3rd rounder) to ask for their highest 2nd rounder- 44. we can ask for either their middle or later 2nd round pick.

I would trade down only IF you get a very good offer AND there is nobody available that you love and won’t be available at #16/17. If it’s your only chance to select an all-pro type player, then of course you don’t trade down, you pick him. But it's a very deep draft, so there will be good value in later picks, so getting an extra 2nd should mean another quality starter. (Trade #13 & our 4th for #22 & #43)

#16 = Earl Thomas - S - Texas (or best OT)
#22 = Best OT ie. Bulaga, Trent Williams, Anthony Davis, etc (or Earl Thomas?)
#43 = Jahvid Best – RB/KR/PR – Cal (or WR Mardy Gilyard, Golden Tate, etc) Love to get Best in early 2nd rd.
#48 = Sergio Kindle - OLB/DE – Texas (or Javier Arenas, Jason Pierre-Paul, Ricky Sapp, etc)
Get OG in FA.

Originally posted by maxsmart:
Originally posted by pdavila21:

I would trade down only IF you get a very good offer AND there is nobody available that you love and won’t be available at #16/17. If it’s your only chance to select an all-pro type player, then of course you don’t trade down, you pick him. But it's a very deep draft, so there will be good value in later picks, so getting an extra 2nd should mean another quality starter. (Trade #13 & our 4th for #22 & #43)

#16 = Earl Thomas - S - Texas (or best OT)
#22 = Best OT ie. Bulaga, Trent Williams, Anthony Davis, etc (or Earl Thomas?)
#43 = Jahvid Best – RB/KR/PR – Cal (or WR Mardy Gilyard, Golden Tate, etc) Love to get Best in early 2nd rd.
#48 = Sergio Kindle - OLB/DE – Texas (or Javier Arenas, Jason Pierre-Paul, Ricky Sapp, etc)
Get OG in FA.

I agree 100%. We can pick up a guy like Stephen Neal or Bobbie Williams in FA to give some experience at that guard spot, they're both beasts. Then we can trade down and take the best players available.
Originally posted by maxsmart:

Because it's a deep draft, and you get TWO good players instead of one.

2 potentially good players instead of one potentially great player
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd trade back if all of our options were gone, but I don't see it going that way. Someone is going to be there at 13 and 16 to make the team better.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Overkill:
Nobody is going to care if #13 & #17 was "too high" to take a ROT & OG next year if it fixes our OL.

Stay put and take the guys we need. There's no reason to miss out on fixing the OL for the 5th straight year.

I agree, we need to address the OL with our first two picks. The rest of the team is in relatively good shape. The OL has a chance to be greatly upgraded with a Williams/Davis/Bulaga at 13 and a Iupati at 16. We wouldn't have to address the OL for the next 10 years and we can use the rest of the draft on pass rush, kr/pr and defensive backfield. Please, we must not neglect the OL. It will enable the rest of the team to function properly.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 17, 2010 at 05:28:27 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I think the picks should go for quality over quantity at this point. We need impact players, we have enough backups. So no, do not trade down.

Just keep saying it. Everyone agrees we need starters and impact players. So let's get them.

Imagine the zone if we trade down then find we miss all the top tackles.

To get an extra later pick, I don't believe the risk is worth it.

Yeah but we have an extra pick 3-4 picks later, and there are so many quality players in this draft that are 1st rounder type players IMO that quantity>quality. Like would you rather get Iupati and Bulaga, or Bulaga and Graham and Morgan Burnett or another player. I mean we'd have to wait till we see who is on the board at 13. If Haden is on the board, or Berry, or someone like that, DON'T trade down. If you can get a stud at an impact position. I am all abourd the draft OLine bandwagon, don't get me wrong, but I have a hard time stomaching taking a guard and a right tackle with our 1st 2 picks. They might be good players but if we don't get anything extra that's horrible value IMO. Especially when the guy we want(Iupati or Bulaga) may very well be available 3 or 4 picks later. If there's more players that you like then there are spaces between the 13 and 16/17th picks, then you trade down IMO because you're assured of getting at least one of those players. There are a ton of players I like in this draft, potential late first rounders/2nd rounders include:

Brandon Graham
Jerry Hughes
Patrick Robinson
Sergio Kindle
Jahvid Best
Reshad Jones
Morgan Burnett

we have a hole here and there, not just OLine, OLine's the biggest problem, but you can still fill other problems and get a guard in FA or something. Bobbie Williams and Stephen Neal are going to be free agents. Get one of them, draft a RT, use the other pick to fill other spots, and pick up and extra 2nd and get a safety or something.

very good point my thoughts exactly
Share 49ersWebzone