There are 139 users in the forums

What will the Rams do with the #1 overall pick ?

What will the Rams do with the #1 overall pick ?

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I pray they take a QB . . . but they'll probably take Suh . . .

Ditto-sure don't want our already anemic O facing what seems to be a beast!

ya, because he will be there at #4
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MaliCali:

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by MaliCali:

Originally posted by ninertico:
I understand the importance of drafting a franchise QB, but not at the expense of the top DT to come out in a generation. Suh is tooooooooo good to pass up for Clausen or Bradford, IMO.

I believe the Rams will draft Suh. Heck, they may trade back to land a QB and some picks, but I don't know who would want to jump up to take Suh at #1. That is why I that Suh will be a Ram once the dust settles.

Clausen and Bradford are not clear cut #1s. Suh is, again IMHO.

It's easy to sit here and say that when your team is sitting where they are. If we had the #1 pick and we had to trot out a trio of a broke down Bulger, Kyle Boller & Some dude named Null you'd be saying take Claussen or Bradford.

To us sure Suh is the best player. In their situation. Not so much. Especially after drafting Long & Carriker in recent drafts.

They will go Claussen or Bradford.

yep...agreed
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AiNoKea:
If the Rams don't take an OT with their 1st pick someone needs to be fired!!! Then again if I was the Rams I would trade outta the 1st overall pick and target Clausen AND one of the top OT's.

They just took Jason Smith number 2ish last year

And yet they continue to have OL issues!!

Had you read my post you would have known he only played in 8 games this year (He missed a month as he could not gain medical clearance after sufering a concussion and he also missed a chunk of time after injuring his knee early in the year) and he was placed on the right side. The Rams intended to play him their for his rookie year with the intent to move him to the left once he improved in pass pro.

The Rams won't be taking an OT at #1. The cost to have bookends drafted 1 & 2 in consecutive years is too big a chunk of change for a team with as many holes as they have.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
The will draft Suh and McKoy at the top of the 2nd round.

What if they sign Wilfork in FA ? Or another big name DL that may be had in FA for that matter.

Wilfork & Clausen/Bradford >>>>> Suh & Kolb/McCoy

[ Edited by KRS-1 on Jan 12, 2010 at 17:09:16 ]
hopefully trade it to us for next years 3rd
Originally posted by strickac:
Hopefully they take Suh. Bulger isn't the answer and Null is a big question mark. I'd much rather they had a stud DT than a franchise QB.

DTs don't win games for you. The Rams are a disaster on offense. If you shutdown Jackson, they can't win.
at first you say, they should take suh...then you say sth like "they need another weapon beside jackson"...now what do you want them to draft???
Originally posted by KRS-1:
If the Rams don't take an OT with their 1st pick someone needs to be fired!!! Then again if I was the Rams I would trade outta the 1st overall pick and target Clausen AND one of the top OT's.

Had you read my post you would have known he only played in 8 games this year (He missed a month as he could not gain medical clearance after sufering a concussion and he also missed a chunk of time after injuring his knee early in the year) and he was placed on the right side. The Rams intended to play him their for his rookie year with the intent to move him to the left once he improved in pass pro.

The Rams won't be taking an OT at #1. The cost to have bookends drafted 1 & 2 in consecutive years is too big a chunk of change for a team with as many holes as they have.

You might be right, but I wouldn't be so sure they wouldn't. Besides, the #1 overall pick will cost a lot anyways, especially if they take a QB. Seeing that Stafford got about 80 million as a rookie, I would think the cost of a OT going overall would be much cheaper. I think free agency will determine who they will pick #1 overall, but I don't see any good QB's or OT's that would make up for not taking a QB or OT #1 overall. Another reason I think the rams will/should take a OT is because of their faith in Alex Barron which I don't see much in.

rams fans debate who to pick

they are split on Clausen on Suh

I read some of the threads and the Suh crowd tends to say they can get a QB in FA, while the Clausen crew tends to say that Clausen will get them more wins

Right now I say they should pick Clausen, but if they can get a starter in FA then obviously it will be Suh.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

You might be right, but I wouldn't be so sure they wouldn't. Besides, the #1 overall pick will cost a lot anyways, especially if they take a QB. Seeing that Stafford got about 80 million as a rookie, I would think the cost of a OT going overall would be much cheaper. I think free agency will determine who they will pick #1 overall, but I don't see any good QB's or OT's that would make up for not taking a QB or OT #1 overall. Another reason I think the rams will/should take a OT is because of their faith in Alex Barron which I don't see much in.

If an OT was willing to sign to be the #1 pick for less, it wouldn't be by much. Jason Smith was drafted to be the LT of the future (whereas Barron was drafted to play RT, he was only over on the left because his play was actually better there when he was first asked to step in for Pace), so with that Smith will make his move over to the blind side and Barron will be a FA. They will possibly look to acquire a RT via either the draft or FA (good RT's can be had in the 2nd-3rd-4th) but OT is definitely something that is out of the equation for #1 overall in St.Louis. I'd bet the farm on that.

They definitely need to continue to work on improving the line and if Iupati is there at 33 they'd be foolish not to take him.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
rams fans debate who to pick

they are split on Clausen on Suh

I read some of the threads and the Suh crowd tends to say they can get a QB in FA, while the Clausen crew tends to say that Clausen will get them more wins

Right now I say they should pick Clausen, but if they can get a starter in FA then obviously it will be Suh.

2010 List of FA QB's

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers
John Beck RFA Ravens
Kyle Boller UFA Rams
Mark Brunell UFA Saints
Jason Campbell* RFA Redskins
David Carr UFA Giants
Kellen Clemens* RFA Jets
Brodie Croyle* RFA Chiefs
Daunte Culpepper UFA Lions
A.J. Feeley UFA Panthers
Charlie Frye* RFA Raiders
Bruce Gradkowski* RFA Raiders
Rex Grossman UFA Texans
Matt Gutierrez RFA Chiefs
Tarvaris Jackson* RFA Vikings
Josh McCown UFA Panthers
Matt Moore RFA Panthers
Kyle Orton* RFA Broncos
Chad Pennington UFA Dolphins
Chris Redman UFA Falcons
Troy Smith RFA Ravens
Brian St. Pierre UFA Cardinals
Seneca Wallace UFA Seahawks
Charlie Whitehurst* RFA Chargers

(Players who have an asterisk (*) following their names are fourth or fifth year players who would be unrestricted free agents if a new CBA is reached prior to the start of FA)
Suh easily. They can't afford not to. I think one of the "top" QBs will fall to the 2nd for them. Just look at the list. They might even get a guy by the third. See below:

1st-3rd round rated QBs:

Sam Bradford
Jimmy Clausen
Colt McCoy
Jevan Snead
Tim Tebow
Tony Pike
Dan LeFevour
Sean Canfield.

At least one of these will last to the third. Rams will take Suh.
I don't think the Redskins will resign Campbell. I think Miami is going to stick with Henne, that leaves Pennington out there. Some of them want Michael Vick . If they want to go the FA or trade route I think they could
Share 49ersWebzone